eBay version 3.0

Brilliant!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, being that I live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, all I saw was the ~$9 USPS shipping charge from Virginia. And upon hearing about the new eBay "Global Shipping" bullsh-t, I made sure in my own listings to avoid that program entirely and use the shipping option (USPS int'l parcel/USPS Priority int'l) I've always used for mes amis en Canada and my m8's in the UK.

So, while I agree with your point and lament these new programs that eBay pushes on unwitting sellers, I figured I'd share the wealth (of eBay listings) with y'alls since that's the way we tend to work 'round these parts.

I offer Global Shipping program as an option only where I would otherwise not be offering international shipping. I don't often have time to go to the Post Office, I have my packages picked up from my office, which they only do for Domestic shipments. International requires customs forms and a trip to the Post Office, which I am only willing/able to do on occasion. I figure if someone wants the item and is willing to accept the associated costs of the Global Shipping Program, I'll leave it as an option for them. But i do assume it deters more potential buyers than it attracts.

That being said, the two times someone e-mailed me and asked me to ship it direct rather than Global Shipping as per my listing, I said OK anyway.

You can unclick the option of the service and set your own option so it shouldn't be an issue.

Somehow eBay opted me in for this new program. I didn't know until one of my auctions with free shipping (US only) sold to someone in Europe through the Global Shipping Program. I was able to work things out, but the buyer could have left me negative feedback for the exorbitant shipping costs eBay charges on something I listed as "free shipping".

So I urge anyone not interested in this program to make sure they opt out: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#opt_out

Here's some visual evidence as to the conundrum that is the Binghamton Rangers.

As you can see, NHL shield AND crappy arched name:

WeightBingRangersFront.JPG WeightBingRangersBack.JPG

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Djoos one TRULY was worn but it's just some added stuff to support the theory.

Those fonts on the Binghamton Rangers are atrocious... Always thought they used the same font as the big club, pre arch and arched names..

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=6199528&catLevel=0&scLevel=&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=&catParentID=60494&scId=60494

Noob question but as a ballpark what should I be aiming to pay for good condition blank ultrafils? Prices seem to vary from decent to ridiculous

Depends on team/year/condition, but based on your wantlist, $100-150 for the Canadiens or Kings, $250-400 for the Flames (Air-Knit, btw), and $300-500 for the pens is normally the ballpark.

Unless, of course, you find a deal or steal.

So... anyone winning any of the Monarchs Burger Kings? A few of them have ended and the rest are ending within the hour...

eBay's global shipping program is eBays way of creating problem (which doesn't really exist) and profiting off of fixing it. They are risking alienating Canadian buyers. If the profit they make from it out weighs the final value fee.

It's the equivalent of being forced to take a Taxi to the grocery store when it's within walking distance of your house.

If you're an eBay seller, by participating in it, you're taking money out of your own pocket. When selling an item on eBay, you can't sell it for its actual value (say 300 bucks) plus shipping, you can sell it for its actual value minus the cost of shipping, because people aren't going to pay a subtotal of more than the items worth.

So if you all of a sudden introduce another expensive charge, what ever that eBay global shipping charge is, is coming out of your pocket as a seller. Now instead of people being willing to pay 280+20 shipping, they are only willing to pay 230+50 eBay global shipping charge+20 shipping.

eBay also charges you the final value fee on the total transaction. So I'm pretty sure you also will end up paying eBay fees AND Paypal fees on that 50 dollar global shipping charge.

Looking at that Leafs jersey, the import fees are 1/3 of the current bid. That's insane. When you ship via USPS, if you get charged taxes at the border, I believe Canada Post only tacks on a 5-10 dollar service fee, and that is rare. Taxes are 13 percent in Ontario, so right now the import fee for that jersey is almost three times the amount you'd actually pay in taxes.

If you look at how many high priced jerseys that seller has, he's losing out on bidding wars, and if there are Canadians bidding (likely since it's a Leafs jersey), he's missing out on hundreds of dollars that would have otherwise gone to him, since they would have bid 100-200 dollars higher if not for the import fee.

I offer Global Shipping program as an option only where I would otherwise not be offering international shipping. I don't often have time to go to the Post Office, I have my packages picked up from my office, which they only do for Domestic shipments. International requires customs forms and a trip to the Post Office, which I am only willing/able to do on occasion. I figure if someone wants the item and is willing to accept the associated costs of the Global Shipping Program, I'll leave it as an option for them. But i do assume it deters more potential buyers than it attracts.

That being said, the two times someone e-mailed me and asked me to ship it direct rather than Global Shipping as per my listing, I said OK anyway.

This is a fine rational. But consider how much extra money that trip to the post office will make you.

You're probably looking at the buyer paying an extra 30 dollars on a 100 dollar purchase (might be wrong on that calculation). Combine that with the amount of bidders who never bid due to being turned off by the policy which would have driven up the price.

It makes sense on a item that is 10-20 bucks. But you have to ask yourself, would you drive to the post office for 30 percent extra of what the item sold for? If the answer is yes, it's best to avoid the policy.

The policy only makes sense for shipping to really sketchy countries that are known for chargeback scams. If you're shipping to Canada, and charge tracking+insurance and signature confirmation on items over the correct amount (I think 300) then the odds of a chargeback scam are very low.

This is a fine rational. But consider how much extra money that trip to the post office will make you.

You're probably looking at the buyer paying an extra 30 dollars on a 100 dollar purchase (might be wrong on that calculation). Combine that with the amount of bidders who never bid due to being turned off by the policy which would have driven up the price.

It makes sense on a item that is 10-20 bucks. But you have to ask yourself, would you drive to the post office for 30 percent extra of what the item sold for? If the answer is yes, it's best to avoid the policy.

The policy only makes sense for shipping to really sketchy countries that are known for chargeback scams. If you're shipping to Canada, and charge tracking+insurance and signature confirmation on items over the correct amount (I think 300) then the odds of a chargeback scam are very low.

Precisely. If I feel there is extra money to be made, I don't use Global Shipping, I just offer direct shipping. It's always low priced items that I restrict to Global Shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONATHAN-TOEWS-RBK-EDGE-AUTHENTIC-CHICAGO-BLACKHAWKS-13-STANLEY-CUP-JERSEY-56XL-/350902588335?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item51b36c93af

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that an Indo? And if so...do people really pay THAT much for one? Hell do you pay that much for the legit when it's not signed or game worn?

Yes, it's an Indo. And that seller is often ridiculed here for having some of the most overpriced jerseys on eBay.

I was scrolling through the completed listings earlier for authentic Blackhawks jerseys and I saw several indos sold for $400+. I wouldn't pay that much for a retail 2.0 let alone an indo.

That's what shocks me...I know people want an "authentic" jersey...but then they get super screwed thinking they paid a high price it MUST be good.

Depending on the team and player it has on it...I'd CONSIDER spending that on a team or game issued... but I figure if you're spending $400 or more you're getting a REALLY great sweater you really want or it's game worn or autographed etc.

We're lucky here at least since we know what to look for.

I'll admit...before really knowing the differences with Edges and even between legit ones and the "better" Indos I was afraid to buy any for fear of being cheated...I couldn't imagine the feeling of paying that much and getting an Indo and learning about it later...

eBay's global shipping program is eBays way of creating problem (which doesn't really exist) and profiting off of fixing it. They are risking alienating Canadian buyers. If the profit they make from it out weighs the final value fee.

It's the equivalent of being forced to take a Taxi to the grocery store when it's within walking distance of your house.

If you're an eBay seller, by participating in it, you're taking money out of your own pocket. When selling an item on eBay, you can't sell it for its actual value (say 300 bucks) plus shipping, you can sell it for its actual value minus the cost of shipping, because people aren't going to pay a subtotal of more than the items worth.

So if you all of a sudden introduce another expensive charge, what ever that eBay global shipping charge is, is coming out of your pocket as a seller. Now instead of people being willing to pay 280+20 shipping, they are only willing to pay 230+50 eBay global shipping charge+20 shipping.

eBay also charges you the final value fee on the total transaction. So I'm pretty sure you also will end up paying eBay fees AND Paypal fees on that 50 dollar global shipping charge.

Looking at that Leafs jersey, the import fees are 1/3 of the current bid. That's insane. When you ship via USPS, if you get charged taxes at the border, I believe Canada Post only tacks on a 5-10 dollar service fee, and that is rare. Taxes are 13 percent in Ontario, so right now the import fee for that jersey is almost three times the amount you'd actually pay in taxes.

If you look at how many high priced jerseys that seller has, he's losing out on bidding wars, and if there are Canadians bidding (likely since it's a Leafs jersey), he's missing out on hundreds of dollars that would have otherwise gone to him, since they would have bid 100-200 dollars higher if not for the import fee.

Absolutely. But to be even more accurate in the analogy, GSP is like having to pre-pay for a Taxi that you likely won't use. I have ordered hundreds of items over ebay, from $15 value to over $500 and the only 2 times I have been charged customs fees is when the parcel was handled by UPS (who, similarly to eBay, effectively scam the receiver into paying import fees that the government will likely never see or even be aware of, but that is a topic for another discussion).

Anything handled by USPS comes in smoothly without any additional charges or hassles....so it is easy for me and others to rightly dismiss the GSP as something completely frivolous and dishonest to the point where I will avoid listings with GSP like the plague or at least persuade every seller I come across to abandon that policy on the items I am interested in.

Even if you run into a situation where GSP does what it is supposed to do....there is no doubt in my mind that any customs fees that would be covered by eBay would be a margin of what was actually paid by the buyer. eBay likes to remind all sellers that profiting off shipping costs is unacceptable yet they are making untold sums with bold-faced scam like this, I mean...where does the law come into the picture? Is eBay allowed to claim that they are collecting money to clear customs charges and then simply pocketing it?

This thread has made me decide to never offer Global Shipping as an option again. Very enlightening, thanks boys.