eBay version 3.0

Brilliant!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think this guy is using shill bidding?

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/cottus.12/m.html?item=251450481546&pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3a8b9ddb8a&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I was watching one of his jerseys as it's been on my want list for a while. I noticed it already had quite a few bids despite still having a very long time left, but I just attributed that to it being a bit hard to find, and people some times being stupid on eBay.

I looked at his other listings. A majority of his listings have a guy with 0 feedback who began bidding against the first bid. It looks like the only jerseys this 0 feedback bidder hasn't bid on are ones with 0 bids.....which makes it look fishy.

It could just be a new user getting carried away with no intention of paying for the jerseys. Or it could be the seller shill bidding with the intention of getting the auctions as high as possible so that he can second chance offer the other bidder under the excuse that the 0 feedback bidder never paid. By doing this, if you put a max bid of 100, you might have won the jersey for 50 due to a lack of competition. But second chance offers go by your last highest bid, so if he just keeps bidding until he beats your bid, he can second chance offer you the item for your highest bid.......

It could just be a coincidence, but I think somebody posted the Ducks jersey on here, so I just thought I'd give a heads up so that nobody gets ripped off via shill bidding.

Edit: Just checked. 0 feedback bidder leads EVERY auction with bids.........100 percent bid activity with that seller.

He is actually a member here, just made a for sale thread of his own. I got outbid within 2min of bidding on one though I bid low haha. I would hope he wouldn't do that though.

As I said, I'm not trying to say it's 100 percent happening.........but it looks quite fishy to have a new or long time inactive account bid on absolutely everything but only up to the other person's top bid, but never place a starting bid.

I was eying the Islanders Fisherman...but not anymore now that I looked at the other auctions.

I do find it odd that he doesn't have a Buy It Now with or a Reserve...most sellers have a high buy it now for jerseys they know will get a few suckers to pay high.

God knows if that Fisherman had been a 54 or especially a 56 and it's legit I'd have overpaid since I want one SOOO BADLY...

Again I don't want to accuse...and this could all be coicindence but it just seems TOO sketchy for my paranoid tastes. Best of luck to him on his auctions though.

Honestly though... the only reasonable explanation for it would be that the '0 feedback' guy is a millionaire and happens to have the exact same taste as the seller and just MUST have his entire collection for any price... and if he was in fact a millionaire, why wouldn't he just bid his max at like 2 grand per jersey and just win... otherwise why play catch-up with every new bid just to the precipice and then bolt again... c'mon... maybe he's not a millionaire but jeez has he been missing out on a lot of better/nicer jerseys as our arrivals and other ebay steals have shown...

Honestly though... the only reasonable explanation for it would be that the '0 feedback' guy is a millionaire and happens to have the exact same taste as the seller and just MUST have his entire collection for any price... and if he was in fact a millionaire, why wouldn't he just bid his max at like 2 grand per jersey and just win... otherwise why play catch-up with every new bid just to the precipice and then bolt again... c'mon... maybe he's not a millionaire but jeez has he been missing out on a lot of better/nicer jerseys as our arrivals and other ebay steals have shown...

esballer_blockinostcd2000proof-vi.jpg

FIRST RULE OF JERSEY COLLECTING: DO NOT EVER TRUST ANYONE WITH A RENE BOURQUE JERSEY IN THEIR COLLECTION. NEVER.

It's shill bidding. No one with the same account bids on 25 jerseys that the same person is selling at once and since it's pointed out that every mot goes up to the highest bid, it can't he more obvious.

Blatant shill bidding, so obvious in fact that he should worry about getting reported to eBay. Was eying that old Sens 3rd Edge but good thing it's in the wrong size otherwise I would be torn.

That new "buyer" with 0 feeback has 93 bids on that sellers auctions. Bid activity with that seller is 100%

30-Day Summary Total bids: s.gif93 Items bid on: s.gif21 Bid activity (%) with this seller: s.gif100% s.gifbtnHelp.gif Bid retractions: s.gif0 Bid retractions (6 months): s.gif0

FIRST RULE OF JERSEY COLLECTING: DO NOT EVER TRUST ANYONE WITH A RENE BOURQUE JERSEY IN THEIR COLLECTION. NEVER.

I came here to steal your stuff and shill bid on your families.

P1011642-vi.jpg

I've posted multiple times here saying I think people throw around the shill bidding allegation way too often. Many times it's because they are just mad they lost an auction or upset because other people don't bid the way they do.

But man, in this case it's pretty hard to think it's anything but shill bidding. I guess the real test will be if the zero feedback bidder starts retracting bids right before the end or if the zero feedback bidder wins something it's back up for sale shortly after (assuming it doesn't sell on second chance offer).

Its absolutely shill bidding. There's no question whatsoever.

And its quite honestly the dumbest example of it ever. There's no way this guy doesn't get caught. He made it way too obvious.

If anyone has bids on his stuff they should retract them, or not accept his second chance offers.

And if I were bidding, I'd report it too. Its clear cut shill bidding. It probably won't take eBay long to take down the listings and possibly take action against the seller. Its dishonest behavior and its blatantly obvious.

He bought a jersey from me recently and glad to see it's not posted on eBay. But it's bad shill bidding.

For those who haven't seen, he's admitted he was shill bidding in his sale thread on here, and has said he'll remove his bids.

He bought a jersey from me recently and glad to see it's not posted on eBay. But it's bad shill bidding.

One of them used to be mine. Happy to know I gave him a deal.