New Arrivals v6.0

JeffB

I've gotten to a point where for some jerseys, I see them on eBay and groan to myself "great, another f*cking strip job".

It's a great hobby, but there are definitely points during which you're going to ask "why bother?". So it's important to find a way to keep yourself excited about it. And for those points where you want to throw a jersey out the freaking window because of a garbage strip-job or the tiniest incorrect detail on customization, hopefully you'll have moments like these, in which you hold up your jersey and say "wow, this is a piece of art". Hopefully...

I have a few jerseys in closet right now, one in particular that will most likely never come clean, that I've been working on for at least 5 months now...and every time I look at them I want to burn them.

I used to get so excited for a new arrival to show up, and whenever farming out jerseys for customization, I would always only send a minimum at a time (1 or 2), and wait for them to get back before sending out any others. I would also constantly check tracking numbers, follow up whenever something would arrive somewhere, etc, etc.

Not to say I'm not as cautious (eg - getting tracking), or concerned over what's where, but I've normally got about 10-15 jerseys en route at all times (ex - 3 new ones coming from ebay, 6 out being customized, 2 that I sent and 2 that are coming in a trade, or several trades at once, etc).

Something will arrive, and I'll be all - 'Oh, great, the Yzerman's here...', and I'll look at the package and question - '...wait, this isn't from Brilliant!, who's this clown and what's in there?', and then I'll open it and go - 'Oh yeah, I bought a Rangers jersey last week...forgot about that.'

I've also got about 20 project jerseys sitting in my closet, just waiting for me to get off my a$$ and do something about them.

Sometimes you guys will comment when I post something new, like 'Holy crap, slim, where did you find that?' and often enough it's from one of you, and is just an old jersey that's been sitting in the back of the closet for the past couple years, just waiting for me to get on top of it.

I just lose track.

I've had quite a few jerseys in my collection over the years, and I'm almost at that point where nothing seems to really get me excited anymore...either that, or I do find something that's been eluding me forever, that I really want, but the feeling wears off, and I don't always look at that jersey the same way...I'll pull it out of the closet and go - 'Man, I wanted this jersey so bad at the time, but now that I look at it? Heck, I don't even like the jersey or the player...what was I thinking."

Sorry, not to be Debby Downer here 'cause I still really do enjoy the hobby, but sometimes it's nice to step away a bit, and regain focus on what you want and what you don't.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our gamers are so cheap compared to others!

Really? So why is the few Islanders I saw that I wanted (insert joke about wanting an Islanders jersey here) have been so bloody expensive?

Of course it could be my desire to have a Matt Moulson jersey. Good Islanders players may have a premium added on due to the rarity of finding one.

Sorry, not to be Debby Downer here 'cause I still really do enjoy the hobby, but sometimes it's nice to step away a bit, a regain focus on what you want and what you don't.

That's what I planned on doing once school started! But you guys kept me coming back for more!

I think Im going to step away for a bit. Nothing (Islander related) will get me going. Unless I win the Tavares raffle. That would be awesome

i know i have slowed down a bit too, not because i don't enjoy it, but because i have gotten my collection of jerseys to the point of only needing very specific ones.

I've slowed down as well. Like I said, I have been refocusing on Isles, but at this point, there isn't much left for me to colelct without giving up an arm and a leg!

i know i have slowed down a bit too, not because i don't enjoy it, but because i have gotten my collection of jerseys to the point of only needing very specific ones.

This is where I'm at too. I'm trying to finish "sets" so to speak and the last ones are the hardest to get.

Matt wants Mike's package?

That's how rumors start

Back on topic

I was sober when I bought this...

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

Photomatch http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/marty-reasoner-of-the-new-york-islanders-skates-against-the-news-photo/136422937

Well i can tell you i have shifted focus so many times i forget how many different focuses i have had. I started with trying to get one gamer of one particular player then it was just collecting Canadiens jerseys. Then it became collecting gamers and rare Authentic's. Then i sold all my Authentic's and moved on to getting gamers of players i loved to watch play, Bourque , Selanne,Roy, Lemieux, 99 ext... then i sold half my collection and now i haven't bought a jersey in 2 years other then the odd one here and there but nothing substantial. Now i have My top 20 favourites a few nice Authentic's ...... Long story short it is a evolving hobby for most what i love most is the history and uniqueness of NHL jerseys for me they have a special place in my heart when i was a kid and wished one day they would cheer my name, it never happened for me but every time i get one of those beauties in the mail that i have been hunting down i almost feel like i am 10 again.

It means something different for everyone but if you listen to those that care about the hobby it's about the people you meet and not necessarily the jerseys you buy.....

Funny, that's the face I make every time I see Reasoner on the ice!

That will be my face seeing you wearing it at games watching Reasoner play on the ice. I pray to god you never where that jersey out..lol

That will be my face seeing you wearing it at games watching Reasoner play on the ice. I pray to god you never where that jersey out..lol

I'll be too busy wearing my Cizikas Majors! Twinsies!

You ALL should feel extremely privileged to ever receive a package from me.

Patrick_Star_by_Brushcommander.jpg?e83a2c

Genuine.

I just bought 2 jerseys today and Im meh--didn't even photograph them or go deep into photomatching. I dont have a favorite player (still playing in the NHL). It's awesome that you got to meet your favorite and have a good story!

Another thing that happens occasionally that makes this such a fun hobby.

We were at the Monarchs game last night and Robbie Czarnik was a healthy scratch. The scratched players sit in a box right behind us and Robbie chatted with us for a few minutes during intermission.

He knows we have his maize Michigan jersey and told us that there are only two in existence. One belongs to me and the other is owned by his mom. So while my jersey isn't a one-of-a-kind it's one of two.

That's the kind of rare interaction and information that keeps us coming back for more. That Michigan jersey, while a great addition to my collection, just took a major step up on my list of favorites.