Here's the auction...Almost 100% sure the one I received isn't the one pictured. Also, if you look real close, you can see that it has a hole in it. Think I'm gonna be asking for my $6 back.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially on the corners of the 2 and 0's, I thought. Either way, I'm annoyed there's a hole in it!

Might be a replica; the one of the left is from a gamer, and it looks a little sharper...but either way, it's pretty close -

2442106570105778501S600x600Q85.jpg

I've gotten the impression that patches made by National Emblem are THE official ones licensed by the NHL. What happens though, when there are noticeable differences (as small as they may be) between National Emblem's patches and the ones on the gamers that you are trying to replicate, like in the example provided by slimcutta? Do you, as collectors, feel OK with going with the NE patch since it's legit, or would you rather find a repro that looks closer to the original to put on your authentic jersey? Or do you refuse to use either, and just wait (possibly years) until you find what you think is an authentic, exact patch? I'd really like to hear some opinions...

Do you, as collectors, feel OK with going with the NE patch since it's legit, or would you rather find a repro that looks closer to the original to put on your authentic jersey? Or do you refuse to use either, and just wait (possibly years) until you find what you think is an authentic, exact patch? I'd really like to hear some opinions...

IMO - it ain't legit if it's made by National Emblem, but doesn't look anything like what was worn. I'd sooner have a repro that looks close, and put it on my authentic jersey (assuming it's needed to match the jersey), and then simply remove/replace it if I'm able to find an authentic.

Just as an example, I don't think any repro will look as bad as the actual game worn '89 SCF patch -

2675129640105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

And I would much rather have that ugly POS on my jersey because it's what was worn, as opposed to a new replica that looks much better.

Can't find my original post requesting smaller sized authentics, but here's more detail after buying and trying on a few more jerseys. Interested in authentics that fit similar to:

1. Edge 1.0 size 50 fits me well except for sleeves which are a bit long

2. CCM airknit from early 2000s in sz 48 fits perfect

3. Ultrafil 48, 50

4. Nike late 90s in 44, 46.

5. Nike Swifts from the 2010 Olympics sz 52 fits really well

Can't find my original post requesting smaller sized authentics, but here's more detail after buying and trying on a few more jerseys. Interested in authentics that fit similar to:

1. Edge 1.0 size 50 fits me well except for sleeves which are a bit long

2. CCM airknit from early 2000s in sz 48 fits perfect

3. Ultrafil 48, 50

4. Nike late 90s in 44, 46.

5. Nike Swifts from the 2010 Olympics sz 52 fits really well

What teams are you looking for

What teams are you looking for

I'm pretty open, as I'm just ramping up my collection and I am more after players vs. teams. If I were to prioritize my top tier though:

Original 6

Other Canadian teams

Ducks

Avalanche

Generally older stuff from early 90s, but open to all years from 1980 onwards.

Generally not interested in Panthers, Coyotes, Capitals, Sharks

I am looking for a white Blackhawks ultrafil in size 52 (or 48). I prefer blank or Smith (5), Sutter (12), Goulet (16), or Grimson (23). I am getting a Cup Centenary patch and want to add it to this jersey.

Just rounded up my patchs that seemed to be in ever draw in the house all I need to do is start adding them to jerseys

Let's run that through the internet translator and see what we get...

I just rounded up my patches that seemed to be in every drawer in the house. All I need to do is start adding them to jerseys.

Remember kids, punctuation is your friend!

As a thanks, please send me the 1996 World Cup of Hockey patch.

Just as an example, I don't think any repro will look as bad as the actual game worn '89 SCF patch -

And I would much rather have that ugly POS on my jersey because it's what was worn, as opposed to a new replica that looks much better.

Slim, thanks for the reply- always glad to hear your opinion. Btw, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how did that "POS" end up looking like that- too many washes? Here's a team-issued jersey from the same year whose SCF patch looks like any other:

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=61&lotid=599

Slim, thanks for the reply- always glad to hear your opinion. Btw, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how did that "POS" end up looking like that- too many washes? Here's a team-issued jersey from the same year whose SCF patch looks like any other:

http://www.classicau...id=61&lotid=599

The one above is noted as a 'team issued', and doesn't say it comes with an LOA. I would suspect a replica patch was added after the fact, or they started producing some cleaner patches later in the playoffs that were never used? I don't know, but here are some actual game worns that have the POS that was worn..and I don't think it was from washing; it was just a poorly done patch (which makes it so much nicer, IMO) -

http://www.classicau...id=51&lotid=104

http://www.classicau...id=51&lotid=106

http://www.classicau...id=38&lotid=403

I'd love to have an original!

Not sure if its a patch or not, but if it is, does anyone know where to get the 'C' on the Detroit TBTC jersey? If not, what is it?

To my knowledge it is just twill on twill.....white "C" inside the red diamond....

Slim, you da man! I'm amazed at how different the original SCF patches looked from subsequent year ones. Irregular borders, crappy lettering- like you said, a POS. But hey, it's an original. If I'm not mistaken, '89 was the first year they used those SCF patches, right? I guess I've learned (and this goes back to my original post) that "official" patches can still look significantly different from the originals- I just don't think I've ever seen an example like this where the difference was so noticeable. Thanks again, Slim- I appreciate all the info.

Slim, you da man! I'm amazed at how different the original SCF patches looked from subsequent year ones. Irregular borders, crappy lettering- like you said, a POS. But hey, it's an original. If I'm not mistaken, '89 was the first year they used those SCF patches, right? I guess I've learned (and this goes back to my original post) that "official" patches can still look significantly different from the originals- I just don't think I've ever seen an example like this where the difference was so noticeable. Thanks again, Slim- I appreciate all the info.

:thumbsup:

Thanks. I have been having a hard time finding close-up pictures. Having it sent to EPS...do you think they would know?

Yes I am sure they would know, but as always, send photos, never assume....

Thanks. I have been having a hard time finding close-up pictures. Having it sent to EPS...do you think they would know?

Why not wait on MLL for that. I say that because everything I've ever had done by EPS came back with something wrong on it and I'll bet you MLL will be able to customize the TBTC Redwings no problem especially since it doesn't need a nameplate.

Why not wait on MLL for that. I say that because everything I've ever had done by EPS came back with something wrong on it and I'll bet you MLL will be able to customize the TBTC Redwings no problem especially since it doesn't need a nameplate.

The only thing is, I'm getting it from the US, so thought I could just ship to EPS directly. That, plus I have 9 other jerseys (hockey and baseball) going there, and there's a discount if I do 10.

Your comment about the mistakes at EPS worries me though. I thought they were the best place to send them to, especially if nameplates are needed. I thought that's why they took so long, are a bit more expenseive, etc. because they do it right. That's why I decided to not go local...Toronto.

Is this manageable? i.e. If I'm very specific, send lots of photos, etc. will they do a perfect job? or should I have everything sent back to me.

EPS did almost my entire collection, Ive never had an issue. And it really doenst take that long. From the day I mail it out until the day I get it back its running about 35 days.

• TMLFAN locked this topic