It is good or not?

lafountain

I have one picture buried in a folder of Gretzky wearing the C with the blue jersey. I'm pretty sure it was just in preseason though.

I've had, and have, several white liberty jerseys with Gretzky on it, including a double starter logo that I will be working on eventually.

Was there originally a fight strap and it was just cut out, or was there never one attached to begin with?

Edited by thebiggoalie

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might have been just for his last game?

No, he didn't wear a letter in his last game. One pic I remember seeing is this one, from his third game with the Rangers at the beginning of the 1996-97 season (Maybe Messier was hurt and didn't play):

image_zps94e605b6.jpg

Edited by LAK74

Question regarding this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/John-TAVARES-91-09-10-Reebok-Edge-2-0-Authentic-Rookie-Jersey-Sz56-/171552691213?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item27f156540d

Seems to be a team issue, though the customization seems off to me. On the front, the chest number 9 looks like an upside down 6. Thoughts?

The jersey is team-issued, but not game-issued (the latter would have been lettered by the team customizer). The jersey was obtained blank and later lettered by someone other than the team customizer, which is why the lettering is off.

All the numbers (both 9 and 1), including the ones on the back and sleeve, are inaccurate- not just the ones on the front. The 9 is just plain wrong, and turning it upside down would not make it look like a correct 6. The curved tail on the correct 9 and 6 (either on the front or the sleeves) should not be touching the rest of the number, like they do on this jersey.

The jersey is team-issued, but not game-issued (the latter would have been lettered by the team customizer). The jersey was obtained blank and later lettered by someone other than the team customizer, which is why the lettering is off.

All the numbers (both 9 and 1), including the ones on the back and sleeve, are inaccurate- not just the ones on the front. The 9 is just plain wrong, and turning it upside down would not make it look like a correct 6. The curved tail on the correct 9 and 6 (either on the front or the sleeves) should not be touching the rest of the number, like they do on this jersey.

Thank you very much for the insight! I'm aware of the differences between team and game issued, though customization is something I'm having quite some difficulty judging (outside of obvious mistakes, I have no idea what to look for). Would you be aware of any resources - online or otherwise - where I could read up on how to spot quality customization?

To get good at spotting lettering inaccuracies, obviously you first need to know what the correct lettering is supposed to look like. For that, other than owning tons of gamers, I don't think there's really any practical substitute for researching the lettering on as many game-worn jerseys as you can find for the team and time period you are interested in. Fortunately there are many examples of gamers for most teams available on the internet, and all it takes is doing some searching to find good photos on jersey collector sites, auction sites like classicauctions.net, gamewornauctions.net, gameworn jersey distributors like meigray.com, dropthepucks.com, etc. Gettyimages.ca and zimbio.com are also good sources of photos. Even YouTube videos can be valuable sources of images. It may take many hours of research on your part to get really familiar with the various font styles used by a given team, and to learn how those fonts can sometimes vary from season to season. I couldn't even begin to calculate how many hours I've spent doing this over the past few years, but if I hadn't done so I don't think I'd be in any position to be able to say what looks good and what doesn't on the jersey styles I'm familiar with.

Edited by LAK74

It's a legit replica, but it's way overpriced. For that price you could get an authentic.

Just saw this. I know nothing about starter jerseys so no idea if this is good. The indian head doesnt have the brownish ring around it or however you'd describe it, that was used for many years, so I don't know how this is real.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311263549496?redirect=mobi

Is a large in that comparable to a 50 2.0?

That one is good. Being a replica, it's no surprise that the crest is not exactly like that of the authentics of the time period, especially considering that Starter didn't make Hawks authentics. Even the CCM replicas of the era had crests that looked different than the CCM authentics, although they did have the brown border.

I can say that a Starter large and a 2.0 50 fit very similar on me- almost optimal, just a tad on the large side.

Edit: Starter Large- 24" wide, 30" back collar to hem, 65" sleeve end to end, at least on the ones I have.

Edited by LAK74

This looks legit to me, but wanted to double check with the experts. I don't think Moore ever wore an Edge 1.0 with the Rangers, but is it legit anyways?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261741478798

It's legit.

And correct, Moore didn't wear a 1.0 with the Rangers.

That one is good. Being a replica, it's no surprise that the crest is not exactly like that of the authentics of the time period, especially considering that Starter didn't make Hawks authentics. Even the CCM replicas of the era had crests that looked different than the CCM authentics, although they did have the brown border.

I can say that a Starter large and a 2.0 50 fit very similar on me- almost optimal, just a tad on the large side.

Edit: Starter Large- 24" wide, 30" back collar to hem, 65" sleeve end to end, at least on the ones I have.

Good to know, thanks.

Bought signed islander wave blue Reichel numbers are glacier white triple tackle twill but stacked not overlay anyone know of this is correct it has isle logo not fisherman also should 25 yr, be on this?

According to the jersey database the isles did indeed wear those in 96-97 which would be the 25 yr anniversary, but they did wear them in 97-98 as well

I think Reichel played for the isles both of those seasons so it doesn't necessarily need the 25th patch

Not sure about the customization specs

Edited by FlyersFan376

Assuming this is a legit Indo-Edge, it's not a bad deal for those who don't mind buying them. This seller has quite a few different teams.

Was gonna post in the Deals & Steals, but wanted to confirm its legitimacy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-REEBOK-NHL-7231A-EDGE-AUTHENTIC-CHICAGO-BLACKHAWK-White-blank-JERSEY-52-/221669684213?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item339c8af3f5