The EDGE 2.0 thread

akteon

goof off plus ironing will get rid of all stuff pictured here on 2.0s. ive done it a few times on 2.0s. always come out clean.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah; the Goof-Off won't get that off. That's about as clean as it's going to get. The Ducks apparently really heat-press the hell out of their jerseys before stitching. I've fought that battle already and failed.

Nah; the Goof-Off won't get that off. That's about as clean as it's going to get. The Ducks apparently really heat-press the hell out of their jerseys before stitching. I've fought that battle already and failed.

Ya i was crapping my pants every time i tugged away the numbers. It felt crazy glued on.

Well I'm gonna give a go at it, I'll post results soon.

I know for a fact that Green and Halpern on the Capitals still wear 1.0s after corresponding with Meigray on their gameworns, the rest of the team wears 2.0s. I assume most teams give the player the choice.

I believe Wideman wears 1.0 as well so he can turn around 17% faster when opposing forwards blow by him.

Ya i was crapping my pants every time i tugged away the numbers. It felt crazy glued on.

Well I'm gonna give a go at it, I'll post results soon.

you can spray goof off before you peel and the numbers fall off then. you can damage the jersey material sometimes if you pull off when its stuck like that.

I just realized something. What sense does it make to have one manufacturer in Canada making, seemingly, a small amount of jerseys (for the teams), and separate ones in Indonesia for the public? From a business standpoint, doesn't that make no sense? Especially since it probably cost them a good amount to develop the Indos...I don't get it.

I just realized something. What sense does it make to have one manufacturer in Canada making, seemingly, a small amount of jerseys (for the teams), and separate ones in Indonesia for the public? From a business standpoint, doesn't that make no sense? Especially since it probably cost them a good amount to develop the Indos...I don't get it.

Think about it this way. Even though it costs RBK a lot less to make the jerseys, due to a much lower salary level in Indonesia, they're charging more so this equates to a higher margin. In the Quebec plant, it likely has excess capacity (overhead costs) but then it's offset by the higher margin from Indo jerseys. A finance guy at Reebok probably did an analysis and concluded that they would make more money this way, then to continue paying the higher wages to make the Edges in Canada.

To summarize, Reebok is owned by Adidas who is one of the worlds largest athletic apparel companies in the world. The cost to setup in Indonesia was probably very minimal as they have existing facilities and probably only needed to implement a new pattern design to be made by existing workers with existing equipment. This in itself makes sense, however, as mentioned a zillion times, branding the items from Indonesia as Authentic or Pro or whatever you want to call it is a lie. The Canadian Operations make the superior product as it's a neccessity to provide the NHL with a garment that will not fall apart or tear within a few minutes of playing. The Canadian Operations are not to make money, they are to supply what the teams have to have. Indonesia pays the bills and brings home the bacon ;)

It's not 100% that retail 1.0's or 2.0s are out of the question next season is it? I heard the 2012 reebok Catalog thing but I was thinking..... Hopefully that was actually for this season. Kinda like how cars that are 2012 come out in 2011. maybe that was the catalog from the start of the 2011-2012 season but advertised as 2012. Just a thought. I hope I'm right though. I really hope Indo's aren't here to stay. Any ideas?

I don't see much benefit for Reebok in retailing 2.0's. More expensive for them.

We're such a small niche of people that our complaining really won't make any difference.

It's not 100% that retail 1.0's or 2.0s are out of the question next season is it? I heard the 2012 reebok Catalog thing but I was thinking..... Hopefully that was actually for this season. Kinda like how cars that are 2012 come out in 2011. maybe that was the catalog from the start of the 2011-2012 season but advertised as 2012. Just a thought. I hope I'm right though. I really hope Indo's aren't here to stay. Any ideas?

That occurred to me too, but if you look at the order deadline dates, the corresponding delivery dates extend from the beginning to near the end of the 2012-13 season. That seems to indicate that we're looking at next year's jerseys. This also has implications regarding the designs- the Islanders and Lightning may possibly be getting new thirds, and some other teams may be dropping theirs.

I don't see much benefit for Reebok in retailing 2.0's. More expensive for them.

We're such a small niche of people that our complaining really won't make any difference.

But I don't think 2.0s are any more expensive than 1.0s to manufacture. Actually I'd assume the 2.0s would be cheaper since airknit is pretty common and has been used in the industry for years.

Well actually my point was, which I probably poorly got across, was how much longer is the plant in Canada going to be operating? Seems pointless.

Why do you say that? Everything worn on the ice, with the exception of Starter, has come from Canada since the beginning of time. Why would that change because the retail stuff doesn't? It's the same scenario as the NFL. The 'authentic' jerseys are made in like Korea or Vietnam or some other craphole in the less-than-savory parts of the world but the game ones still come directly from Berlin, Wisconsin in the good old U.S of A. As long as the on-ice product is as far superior as it currently is to the retail version, I don't see why it would be prudent to export production elsewhere.

Why do you say that? Everything worn on the ice, with the exception of Starter, has come from Canada since the beginning of time. Why would that change because the retail stuff doesn't? It's the same scenario as the NFL. The 'authentic' jerseys are made in like Korea or Vietnam or some other craphole in the less-than-savory parts of the world but the game ones still come directly from Berlin, Wisconsin in the good old U.S of A. As long as the on-ice product is as far superior as it currently is to the retail version, I don't see why it would be prudent to export production elsewhere.

You make 100% sense, but you're missing the main point: it's cheaper.

Plus you'd have to imagine they already laid a lot of poeple off considering they went from making all team and retail jerseys in Canada to only making team ones. Thats probably an 80% cut.

Cheaper? Probably. But, when your on-ice product starts falling apart after one game/one wash, I think the message will be sent. What's the point of it being cheaper if you're making triple the purchases throughout the season?

But I don't think 2.0s are any more expensive than 1.0s to manufacture. Actually I'd assume the 2.0s would be cheaper since airknit is pretty common and has been used in the industry for years.

I agree about them not being any cheaper to make than 2.0's, but Indos are cheaper than both.

I personally still wouldn't be satisfied if they started reproducing 1.0's for retail in replace of the Indos. It's not what the players wear these days. Yes it's a better constructed jersey, but in the end it's not accurate.

In this hobby we all know how important accuracy can be. It's painful.

The game jerseys have to be constructed in such a way as to stand up to game action. The game jerseys made in Quebec are hand-constructed items designed to handle the wear and tear of a NHL on-ice action. Any item made for consumer retail does not have to have the same standards, because it's not going to see NHL on-ice action. So they can out-source them overseas to automated production facilities to save money. The few thousand jerseys made for game action are a drop in the bucket cost wise compared to the millions made off of retail jerseys and other items that Reebok sells to the public. And those profits are all Reebok cares about. Don't screw up the team-issued jerseys, and the teams stay happy and Reebok continues to make huge profits off the "Premiere" jersey, which probably costs them about $5 in material and labor. The "indo-edge" jerseys let them make more profit than a Canadian-made Edge, and sell an "authentic" jersey at a lower price point. So like anything else in life there is a class system, the NHL teams/players are the "haves", and the consumers/fans are the "have-nots"..

• 2 weeks later...

So, for the Penguins, for example (if they even do sell their game issues), would they start selling them after the Cup is won, or would they start moving them now since their season is done? How do you even track them down?

And mad props on your Hershey collection. I always love watching them play WBS.