eBay version 3.0

Brilliant!

You guys are aware that you can set your auctions to auto decline any offer that is below an amount you set.

Yea, absolutely aware. But people then message you complaining about their offer being rejected.

Lots of people who think they should just be given a deal for no reason whatsoever.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and they talk to you in a form like "I'll take it from you for $25 right now" like there doing you a favor.

Yes and they talk to you in a form like "I'll take it from you for $25 right now" like there doing you a favor.

Oh God I love when people do that! Its hilarious!

Or when people act like eBay is different than any other online store, like its just automatically supposed to be deals.

Like when someone tells me "Oh, you're charging retail for this jersey or that jersey."

Um, duh.

Even if you don't have a "best offer" option, you'll still get lowball offers. I just respond nicely that no, I'm not going to lower my price by 60% just because you asked. Then I block them as bidders.

Even if you don't have a "best offer" option, you'll still get lowball offers. I just respond nicely that no, I'm not going to lower my price by 60% just because you asked. Then I block them as bidders.

I do that with most of the idiots too.

I've never used the feature as a seller, only a buyer.

Are sellers allowed to counteroffer? Or is it just accept/reject?

I've always wondered this. What exactly is the point in bidding prior to the end of the auction? Aren't you theoretically costing yourself money when you get in a bidding battle that far in advance?

eBay should institute an option for sellers where a bid in the last minute adds 1 minute to the auction, and cap it off at 5 extra minutes. eBay makes their share off what ever auctions go for, so they'd increase their revenue dramtically by doing that.

The problem with snipers if you are a seller, is that you might have three or four people sniping on a hot item. Not every sniper actually puts in their highest possible bid, because they don't see the auction going up.

IE auction is at 90 dollars

Person 1 bids: 100

Person 2 bids: 110

Person 3 bids: 120

So the auction ends at 111 or what ever. Where as, if there was a minute added, the two people who were out bid might get caught up in the mania of bidding and begin to rationalize bidding higher. This would get the auction up about 10-50 percent higher depending on how hot the item is. Multiply that by thousands of items, and eBay would make a killing.

If you want to avoid snipers, add a buy it now price to the item, even if it is dramatically higher than what you expect to get. People will bid as a tactic in order to eliminate the Buy It Now. This is because, the Buy It Now disappears after the first bid. This way, if you have the starting bid as slightly less than you'd want for the item, and the Buy It Now as slightly more, somebody is bound to bid early in hopes of getting it for less and not losing it to a Buy It Now shopper.

I don't really mind lowballers, it's annoying, but it's part of dealing with the benefits of accepting offers. What I do dislike, is people who ask "WHAT IS YOUR LOWEST PRICE". It's insulting to my intelligence. The person is asking you to bid against yourself. It takes a lot for me to ignore somebody when I'm trying to sell an item, but at this point, if that is your message, I won't even bother replying.

Another thing I really hate, is people telling me they can only afford to spend so much because of x reason, or are on a tight budget so my price is too high.....a hockey jersey isn't a loaf of bread in the middle of your village's biggest farming drought. It's a frivolous collectors item. Your budget doesn't dictate the market for that item. I'm as empathetic as the next guy when it comes to actual issues, but I'm not going to give you a 200 dollar jersey for 100 bucks because that's all you can afford. If that's your best offer because it's your best offer, that's alright, but don't try and play games. If you can only afford to low ball people due to a bad financial situation, maybe buying sports memorabilia isn't the best use of your priorities. I'm sure the Sens store will sell me that Edge 2.0 Heritage jersey I've been wanting for 150 despite the fact that it retails at 350 because that's all I can afford.....

I've never used the feature as a seller, only a buyer.

Are sellers allowed to counteroffer? Or is it just accept/reject?

Buyers get to make a total of 3 offers.

It can go:

Buyer offer

Seller counteroffer

Buyer counteroffer

Seller counteroffer

Buyer counteroffer

Seller counteroffer (then accept/reject)

eBay should institute an option for sellers where a bid in the last minute adds 1 minute to the auction, and cap it off at 5 extra minutes. eBay makes their share off what ever auctions go for, so they'd increase their revenue dramtically by doing that.

The problem with snipers if you are a seller, is that you might have three or four people sniping on a hot item. Not every sniper actually puts in their highest possible bid, because they don't see the auction going up.

IE auction is at 90 dollars

Person 1 bids: 100

Person 2 bids: 110

Person 3 bids: 120

So the auction ends at 111 or what ever. Where as, if there was a minute added, the two people who were out bid might get caught up in the mania of bidding and begin to rationalize bidding higher. This would get the auction up about 10-50 percent higher depending on how hot the item is. Multiply that by thousands of items, and eBay would make a killing.

If you want to avoid snipers, add a buy it now price to the item, even if it is dramatically higher than what you expect to get. People will bid as a tactic in order to eliminate the Buy It Now. This is because, the Buy It Now disappears after the first bid. This way, if you have the starting bid as slightly less than you'd want for the item, and the Buy It Now as slightly more, somebody is bound to bid early in hopes of getting it for less and not losing it to a Buy It Now shopper.

I don't really mind lowballers, it's annoying, but it's part of dealing with the benefits of accepting offers. What I do dislike, is people who ask "WHAT IS YOUR LOWEST PRICE". It's insulting to my intelligence. The person is asking you to bid against yourself. It takes a lot for me to ignore somebody when I'm trying to sell an item, but at this point, if that is your message, I won't even bother replying.

Another thing I really hate, is people telling me they can only afford to spend so much because of x reason, or are on a tight budget so my price is too high.....a hockey jersey isn't a loaf of bread in the middle of your village's biggest farming drought. It's a frivolous collectors item. Your budget doesn't dictate the market for that item. I'm as empathetic as the next guy when it comes to actual issues, but I'm not going to give you a 200 dollar jersey for 100 bucks because that's all you can afford. If that's your best offer because it's your best offer, that's alright, but don't try and play games. If you can only afford to low ball people due to a bad financial situation, maybe buying sports memorabilia isn't the best use of your priorities. I'm sure the Sens store will sell me that Edge 2.0 Heritage jersey I've been wanting for 150 despite the fact that it retails at 350 because that's all I can afford.....

This would make like half of what I bid on become dramatically more expensive, causing me to either be outbid and/or not be able to afford all of what I want.

I got it. They wore ultrafil in 85-86 and the 86-87 regular season.

Anyone know if Gartner wore the A during the regular season in 86-87? There was an 85-86 on gamewornauctions without the A. Then there is a pic of him in the 87 playoffs on a SI cover with the A but that postseason they wore a special air knit set.

Anyone know if Gartner wore the A during the regular season in 86-87? There was an 85-86 on gamewornauctions without the A. Then there is a pic of him in the 87 playoffs on a SI cover with the A but that postseason they wore a special air knit set.

The answer to your question is to not put a player who played for the Rags on that jersey.

Earliest picture of him wearing the A was from an 87-88 card, though it's probably the same picture as the SI cover. Admittedly my knowledge of the Caps jersey situation back when they were still a professional hockey team is fuzzy at best.

Very jealous sir. Those are some sexy jerseys!

Got the low down from Jeff at CapsJerseys.com; Gartner wore the A in 85-86 and 86-87, he sent me pics and said the one sold in gamewornauctions must have had it stripped.

They made Quick and Blake jerseys? Talk about a cash grab...

They made one for professional comedian Jeff Schultz as well.