eBay version 4.0

dsl135

It's not just on eBay where that's been an issue for me lately.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listed a ton of signed photos at auction no reserve. This guy bought 80% of them...didn't pay until last night. My auction was 2 Thursdays ago. Unreal. Didn't answer any of my messages either. I'm glad he finally paid but Jesus H. Christ...just answer your G.D messages!

I listed a ton of signed photos at auction no reserve. This guy bought 80% of them...didn't pay until last night. My auction was 2 Thursdays ago. Unreal. Didn't answer any of my messages either. I'm glad he finally paid but Jesus H. Christ...just answer your G.D messages!

I would have already messaged him so many times in an accusatory fashion that I would have alienated him and he would not have followed through with the purchase. You showed great patience on that one, well done.

I would have already messaged him so many times in an accusatory fashion that I would have alienated him and he would not have followed through with the purchase. You showed great patience on that one, well done.

I opened a case against him this past thursday. Didn't even hear from him then. So I figured he was just going to wait until that ran out and I could relist.

I may still leave some unfavorable feedback. I also may wait until next Thursday to ship...I have options.

Edited by The_Dude_Abides

Funny that some of you are talking about sneakers. Got a call on Thursday night from one of my CC's fraud detection department and apparently someone stole my number and charged $3,000 to a Niketown store out on Long Island. Guy must have purchased like 4 pairs of sneakers with that amount of loot.

Also speaking of non-payers, having a bunch of issues selling to people on FB lately. I usually put my prices with shipping included. Just recently had a guy asking what I would sell it for if we could meet up. Told him I do not do meetups but I can lower my price so that he would get a better deal than what I had posted and get it shipped. Needless to say haven't heard a peep from him since. I know what he was trying to pull.

Edited by Devilsguy

rAlso speaking of non-payers, having a bunch of issues selling to people on FB lately. I usually put my prices with shipping included. Just recently had a guy asking what I would sell it for if we could meet up. Told him I do not do meetups but I can lower my price so that he would get a better deal than what I had posted and get it shipped. Needless to say haven't heard a peep from him since. I know what he was trying to pull.

I get people doing that with me on eBay items also. I don't meet in person, I just don't. I had one guy recently who was like "I don't understand, we're like 15 minutes apart". Well to me that's even more reason not to!!

I usually do the same thing, I offer a discount for the perceived "inconvenience" of me not doing an in person meet. If they don't jump on that, they had other ideas. I had a guy trying to buy a Mets jersey from me, and insisting that I meet him on the Manhattan side of the Staten Island Ferry so he could save on shipping.

So let me get this straight, I have to take the time drive to the Ferry, take the boat over, essentially to hand deliver you an item, then you try to stab me and take my jersey? At least you could come to me!!

I offered him free shipping, which from me to Manhattan is one day by Priority. Never heard from him again.

I would note, I have never had an IJ member insist on a meet-up. Which is good because none of us are to be trusted, bunch of delinquents!!

In person stuff is scary, I won't do it either. I once went to sell something on craigslist to some guy. Once he saw that I wasn't alone, he bailed. That's creepy as hell, I can't even imagine what his plan was.

In person stuff is scary, I won't do it either. I once went to sell something on craigslist to some guy. Once he saw that I wasn't alone, he bailed. That's creepy as hell, I can't even imagine what his plan was.

Yup, not interested in any of that. I mean its one thing if you're selling your couch, you can't exactly stick that in a Priority Mail box and ship it for like $7. But a jersey? If I offer to pay the $7 and you still won't let me ship, goodbye to you.

The last few I had to do, I met at my bank. Nobody is gonna try anything at a bank. The police station thing is a good idea too.

I don't mind people coming to my house for bigger stuff, I used to do a lot of fish/aquarium stuff and I wasn't about to drop off a 500lb glass tank for somebody.

I live in a rural area, and my two shepherds aren't the only thing somebody would have to worry about. People sort of know better around here, which is nice. That other thing happened when I was still in the city, and in a not so nice part of it.

about a third of my game worns I picked up in person. as long as you meet at a safe spot, have people with you, and have a backup plan in case, it's all the same.

That's a lot of stuff to worry about when I can toss it in a box for $10 and not worry about dying.

That's assuming the guy at the post office doesn't have it out for me.

The last few I had to do, I met at my bank. Nobody is gonna try anything at a bank. The police station thing is a good idea too.

I don't mind people coming to my house for bigger stuff, I used to do a lot of fish/aquarium stuff and I wasn't about to drop off a 500lb glass tank for somebody.

I live in a rural area, and my two shepherds aren't the only thing somebody would have to worry about. People sort of know better around here, which is nice. That other thing happened when I was still in the city, and in a not so nice part of it.

I sold an entertainment unit online once and required the buyer to pick it up. I made them come on the day I was moving, there were like 20 people there, and the moving guys took it right out of the apartment and put it in their truck, and they went on their way.

Two hours later, I lived somewhere else so I wasn't worried about them coming back. Otherwise I would have been. I don't live in a rural area, its suburban and mostly good, but there's still bad stories.

That's a lot of stuff to worry about when I can toss it in a box for $10 and not worry about dying.

That's assuming the guy at the post office doesn't have it out for me.

Exactly. And I always pick up the postage because I know people like to meet in person and they expect that to be an option.

Plus, I genuinely do not have the time.

And I don't go to the post office, I have everything picked up from my office. We got a new carrier yesterday after 10 years of the same one, and on day one I had three boxes for her to pick up, and she had to deliver me 100 Priority Mail boxes. So she may in fact have it out for me.

Well at my old place in the last two years there were 2 people killed within a mile of my house, one stabbed and one shot. Then a month before I left, a felon out on bail shot a 2 cops who were sitting in a car at the gas station down the street.

The worst thing that's happened since I moved was a snowplow hit my mailbox. I feel a bit better here.

Well safety is one reason why I prefer mailing than meeting in person.

The other reason is let's say we agree beforehand on a price (in this case for example $200). We both agree then to a time and a place and we meet there. We get there and then he does the old "I know we said $200, but I only have $150 with me so can you do that instead?" trick. He thinks I will give in just because I drove that way and I do not want to leave empty handed. When you meet someplace, the leverage is gone from your end no matter how neutral the site is.

What's also funny is that my situation has become interesting. The item I had listed was $200 and he wanted to meet up with me and wanted to know if it can be cheaper that way. I told him I would do him a solid and instead ship it for $175 (which is generous on me since shipping would only be $10-15). He comes back and then says "well can you do $150 instead and we meet up?"

Well at my old place in the last two years there were 2 people killed within a mile of my house, one stabbed and one shot. Then a month before I left, a felon out on bail shot a 2 cops who were sitting in a car at the gas station down the street.

The worst thing that's happened since I moved was a snowplow hit my mailbox. I feel a bit better here.

geez. where was that old place at?

I live in a fairly good neighborhood. and I mostly meet people at the Honda Center so that's that. but if I lived in the boonies in west LA i wouldnt even think about meeting a buyer in person there. it's all relative.

That's a good point too, I hate that crap. It's like they think they're crafty and nobody knows their trick.

I sold a boat last year and the guy tried that. I told him that wasn't what we agreed on and I asked him to leave. Guess what? He "found" $400 in his truck so he was able to pay what we agreed on. Idiots.

That's a good point too, I hate that crap. It's like they think they're crafty and nobody knows their trick.

I sold a boat last year and the guy tried that. I told him that wasn't what we agreed on and I asked him to leave. Guess what? He "found" $400 in his truck so he was able to pay what we agreed on. Idiots.

Its an old yard sale trick. My father does it all the time. But at a yard sale, its just negotiation. If you set up a meet to buy one specific item for a set price, the seller goes out of his way, and you do it, you're a douchenozzle.

Edited by mfitz804

Its an old yard sale trick. My father does it all the time. But at a yard sale, its just negotiation. If you set up a meet to buy one specific item for a set price, the seller goes out of his way, and you do it, you're a douchenozzle.

You can pretty much weed out the people who try to do this pretty quickly. It's when they really want to meet up so badly it hurts and even when you offer them a discount or free shipping they still insist on a meetup.

Whats funny is that this guy I am dealing with lives so close that he could pay me now and I can ship it this afternoon and he would receive it tomorrow. Basically time is not a factor here so it is def him trying to squeeze me out of any last dime.

Btw I can offer that jersey for $175 to anyone here. It's in my sale thread. (if saying this is against the rules of this forum I apologize and can/will remove this line).

geez. where was that old place at?

I live in a fairly good neighborhood. and I mostly meet people at the Honda Center so that's that. but if I lived in the boonies in west LA i wouldnt even think about meeting a buyer in person there. it's all relative.

Good ol Troy NY, definitely the worst area I've ever seen. It was not pretty, and it's only gotten worse since.

I mixed that up a bit. They guy shot the one cop on foot when he saw the dude trying to break into a car, then walked down the street and shot his backup in his cruiser before he could even get out. I knew the one guy, fortunately they both made it.

The felon, uh, didn't.

Edited by JoeM7392

Oh yeah, that's totally different. That's all bargaining. But when you agree before hand and try to waste my time by lying to save more money? That's scummy. I kinda wish I still told him to leave. He wanted it pretty badly, I could've taught him a nice lesson. Just didn't have the time to try to sell it again.

Oh yeah, that's totally different. That's all bargaining. But when you agree before hand and try to waste my time by lying to save more money? That's scummy. I kinda wish I still told him to leave. He wanted it pretty badly, I could've taught him a nice lesson. Just didn't have the time to try to sell it again.

Or just raise the price, that would have been awesome. "Go back in your truck and find another $200 and I'll consider selling it".