eBay version 4.0

dsl135

I used to help out an uncle at a sort of convention he sold stuff at. You wouldn't believe how many people would negotiate like that, then take out more money than they said they had and put the rest back away. It was kinda funny, I'd always call them on it and they'd get all uncomfortable.

It's not like it mattered, the amount of money they had on them didn't affect what we would sell stuff for. We would do the same thing for just a normal negotiation, but those guys thought they were so smart. If they truly didn't have any more and the price was too low for us, we didn't do it. A good amount always came back a little later with more cash.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good ol Troy NY, definitely the worst area I've ever seen. It was not pretty, and it's only gotten worse since.

I mixed that up a bit. They guy shot the one cop on foot when he saw the dude trying to break into a car, then walked down the street and shot his backup in his cruiser before he could even get out. I knew the one guy, fortunately they both made it.

The felon, uh, didn't.

dang.

well I do know that if the sale "feels" weird or unsafe for whatever reason I will bail. sometimes you gotta trust your gut. overall being safe is the primary concern.

heck the main reason I met in person on some of the game worns is because of the nature of the source. and that i was too excited that I wanted to have it as soon as i paid for it. LOL

I used to help out an uncle at a sort of convention he sold stuff at. You wouldn't believe how many people would negotiate like that, then take out more money than they said they had and put the rest back away. It was kinda funny, I'd always call them on it and they'd get all uncomfortable.

It's not like it mattered, the amount of money they had on them didn't affect what we would sell stuff for. We would do the same thing for just a normal negotiation, but those guys thought they were so smart. If they truly didn't have any more and the price was too low for us, we didn't do it. A good amount always came back a little later with more cash.

Yeah that's a common flea market tactic. I've done it too.

Just irks me when we agree to a price beforehand and then the guy changes it at the last possible minute. Now, I do not consider sales/trades done with people I have never done business with until cash has been exchanged hands.

I've done it also, I just make sure if I say all I have on me is $40, I just pull out $40.

Now, I do not consider sales/trades done with people I have never done business with until cash has been exchanged hands.

This is very true, and it saves a ton of annoyance.

Is it just my bad luck, or is there an increasing number of non-payers on eBay? Also, who heck does a BIN but doesn't pay? Is it just because they get off on being jerks?

Extremely annoying. Btw, you can require people to pay immediately when using Buy it Now. It's in the seller settings. I always do this. They can't buy the item and end the auction until the item is actually paid for. Weeds out a lot of non-paying bidders.

Extremely annoying. Btw, you can require people to pay immediately when using Buy it Now. It's in the seller settings. I always do this. They can't buy the item and end the auction until the item is actually paid for. Weeds out a lot of non-paying bidders.

That is a good option to select for Buy It Now. But, I find its much more often that someone places a bid, the auction ends, and then they ghost. I would say it is very unusual for a buyer to click Buy It Now and then not just submit the payment immediately. I've been doing eBay sales for 18 years and I don't think I have ever had that happen.

Not to say it doesn't.

I use best offer all the time, and while it hasn't happened to me, that also opens the window for a non-payment regardless of your BIN settings.

My first ever authentic, I picked up in-person from a forum member here. The seller even cut me a deal since he didn't have to worry about shipping it. Actually, that was a turning point in my collecting as I realized just how much fun this could be. It's just too bad I later sold that Coyotes blank.

To a point that was raised earlier, I am not a fan of the Facebook groups. Too many tire kickers and, on the opposite side, people who refuse to budge even an inch on sale/trade demand.

I said this a while ago; I don't understand how people go out of their way to ruin their reputation on Facebook when they don't even get to hide behind a user name.

There have been plenty of fly-by-night members on here that follow through completing a transaction or two, and then disappear, but on Facebook, guys haggle, negotiate, price-gouge, you finally reach a deal, and then they don't even follow through. You can tell when they read messages, and then they just stop responding after reaching a deal. I almost don't want to tell the Facebook members about this group because I don't want them to start the same BS here.

I said this a while ago; I don't understand how people go out of their way to ruin their reputation on Facebook when they don't even get to hide behind a user name.

There have been plenty of fly-by-night members on here that follow through completing a transaction or two, and then disappear, but on Facebook, guys haggle, negotiate, price-gouge, you finally reach a deal, and then they don't even follow through. You can tell when they read messages, and then they just stop responding after reaching a deal. I almost don't want to tell the Facebook members about this group because I don't want them to start the same BS here.

My favourite guys on Facebook are the ones that ask you 39 questions about a jersey, ask you to send pictures, and then just disappear. No 'thanks for your time, but I'm going to pass'.Just..... nothing.

My favourite guys on Facebook are the ones that ask you 39 questions about a jersey, ask you to send pictures, and then just disappear. No 'thanks for your time, but I'm going to pass'.Just..... nothing.

I also like hearing "do you have it in a different size? Do you also have one of these jerseys available?" Like we are all retail companies.

I also like hearing "do you have it in a different size? Do you also have one of these jerseys available?" Like we are all retail companies.

So annoying. Just had a guy on eBay ask if I had a different version of a jersey I was selling for sale. Well if I had one and it was for sale I'd have it listed FOR SALE.

I mean, in this case I do happen to have exactly what he asked for, but it's not going anywhere.

So annoying. Just had a guy on eBay ask if I had a different version of a jersey I was selling for sale. Well if I had one and it was for sale I'd have it listed FOR SALE.

I mean, in this case I do happen to have exactly what he asked for, but it's not going anywhere.

I get that a lot too. "Do you have this?" "I have four, and they aren't going anywhere."

Agreed. It's amazing how when you take away the anonymity like on FB, the people tend to act worse. I guess that at worst what happens is just that the person doesn't deal with them again. On placed like eBay, you can have eBay step in and while buyers on eBay tend to have the leverage, they can still get strikes against their account. On FB a lot of these people just don't give a f&^%.

The guy I mentioned that I have been dealing with has pretty much stopped communicating with me since I told him I am sticking firm with my last price. I am selling a gamer and he is not a gamer collector (that I know of). He is just looking to squeeze every last dollar out of me either for himself or if he could resell it. This happens a lot too even in the Game worn groups on FB. That and the other new hotness is to try to sell/trade an item you don't even have.

eBay sucks and I hate their (and Paypal's) fees, but at least the buyers tend to follow through more often for me there too and less tire kickers.

Agreed. It's amazing how when you take away the anonymity like on FB, the people tend to act worse. I guess that at worst what happens is just that the person doesn't deal with them again. On placed like eBay, you can have eBay step in and while buyers on eBay tend to have the leverage, they can still get strikes against their account. On FB a lot of these people just don't give a f&^%.

The guy I mentioned that I have been dealing with has pretty much stopped communicating with me since I told him I am sticking firm with my last price. I am selling a gamer and he is not a gamer collector (that I know of). He is just looking to squeeze every last dollar out of me either for himself or if he could resell it. This happens a lot too even in the Game worn groups on FB. That and the other new hotness is to try to sell/trade an item you don't even have.

eBay sucks and I hate their (and Paypal's) fees, but at least the buyers tend to follow through more often for me there too and less tire kickers.

This is exactly why I've just been listing stuff on eBay and letting it fly. No haggling, minimum BS, and I openly accept returns. If they don't like the item, they return it, the price is whatever it's worth, and I'm willing to pay the fees to avoid dealing unnecessarily with jackasses. I have stuff in my sales thread because I'm in no rush to move it, but willing to deal with much more resourceful people here. (you and I had this discussion once before, and that's the reason why)

I get that a lot too. "Do you have this?" "I have four, and they aren't going anywhere."

Other favorites of mine:

"Ah wish it was size X otherwise I would buy it" - Me: How does this help me in any way?

"But I can buy this same jersey you are asking $160 for only $30 on this website (proceeds to link an Aliexpress jersey)" - Me: Facepalm

"If I paid you an extra $30 can you have it stripped with a different name?" - Me: No (yes I really got this once)

"Why are you asking $X for a (fill in player name) gamer? I mean, it's not even signed!" - Me: I guess gamers are not for you then

"My Paypal is not working right now, but it might be in a few days. Can you hold onto it for a few days until I get it straightened out?" - Me: Yes but do not come to me angry if I sell it to someone who has money in hand while you are waiting to get your financial situation straightened out.

"Can you do a monthly payment plan" - Me: Sorry I am not a bank

Other favorites of mine:

"Ah ###### wish it was size X otherwise I would buy it" - Me: How does this help me in any way?

"But I can buy this same jersey you are asking $160 for only $30 on this website (proceeds to link an Aliexpress jersey)" - Me: Facepalm

"If I paid you an extra $30 can you have it stripped with a different name?" - Me: No (yes I really got this once)

"Why are you asking $X for a (fill in player name) gamer? I mean, it's not even signed!" - Me: I guess gamers are not for you then

"My Paypal is not working right now, but it might be in a few days. Can you hold onto it for a few days until I get it straightened out?" - Me: Yes but do not come to me angry if I sell it to someone who has money in hand while you are waiting to get your financial situation straightened out.

"Can you do a monthly payment plan" - Me: Sorry I am not a bank

Lol. And then, there's Jeremy Roney.

How does that work?

There was an incident about 2-4 weeks ago where a guy was using pictures from other people's post about their jerseys from the latest grab bags and claiming that the jersey is his and offering it to trade. This led to a domino effect where at least 1 other clown made a deal with him for said jersey for a trade, and was trying to trade that same jersey that the first person didn't have to others before he even got it (even though he later found out he was never going to get it).

Just have to point out, since its a Devils, and a size 58+, and the guy is a non gamer collector, its not me. :)

Just have to point out, since its a Devils, and a size 58+, and the guy is a non gamer collector, its not me. :)

Pay me dammit!!!

haha jk lol

Pay me dammit!!!

haha jk lol

At least one of these guys had to see those pieces falling into place!!

I actually would have considered it if it was red, actually. I am not into gamers but I do want to own one. But I don't want it to look too worn, which I know is the exact opposite of what gamer collectors do.

I'm odd.

There was an incident about 2-4 weeks ago where a guy was using pictures from other people's post about their jerseys from the latest grab bags and claiming that the jersey is his and offering it to trade. This led to a domino effect where at least 1 other clown made a deal with him for said jersey for a trade, and was trying to trade that same jersey that the first person didn't have to others before he even got it (even though he later found out he was never going to get it).

The Lindback saga. I almost fell for that trap too.

I can understand what they were trying to do, but at least be up front about it. I've had a few three or four-way deals on here, but EVERYONE involved knew what was going on, and was accountable.

The Lindback saga. I almost fell for that trap too.

I can understand what they were trying to do, but at least be up front about it. I've had a few three or four-way deals on here, but EVERYONE involved knew what was going on, and was accountable.

lol yup you got it. I got offered that Lindback as well from BOTH parties at different points of that fiasco. Thank God I do not collect Sabres.

Yeah if the first person wasn't trying to sell something he didn't even have and then the person who made a deal with him was open to other collectors that he didn't have the jersey yet in his possession, a lot more people would have been sympathetic to at least that second person. Just a mess but unfortunately not the first time I have heard about this sort of thing happening.