eBay version 4.0

dsl135

I printed the postage label through eBay. The transaction page shows the exact street address provided and the tracking number. That is another good reason to do your postage that way rather than going to the post office.

Otherwise, you'd be right, I'd have no way of proving it, though I am sure if you dig deep enough, you can get the full address info from the Post Office. But probably not online.

Ah that's right I forgot you do the proper method haha. eBay should take your side in that case since you pretty much followed all the protocols. However, what eBay should do and what they will and have done are 2 different things unfortunately. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but eBay has put me in that state of mind where as a seller they are out to screw me.

I hope it is indeed just a misunderstanding. I wonder if he might pull the "I did get the package but nothing was in it" nonsense.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope it is indeed just a misunderstanding. I wonder if he might pull the "I did get the package but nothing was in it" nonsense.

That is one reason why I still prefer to drop the package off at the post office after paying for shipping directly through eBay. I walk it up to the counter, prepaid, and handed to the clerk. She still puts it on the scale, and give me a receipt when I'm done. The average Jersey weighs about 2 pounds, and if the box didn't weigh anything, I'm sure it would give her a red flag that she would mention to you. It's documented proof that it weighed something and was paid.

Now if they claimed they got two pounds of rocks, that may be a different story.

That is one reason why I still prefer to drop the package off at the post office after paying for shipping directly through eBay. I walk it up to the counter, prepaid, and handed to the clerk. She still puts it on the scale, and give me a receipt when I'm done. The average Jersey weighs about 2 pounds, and if the box didn't weigh anything, I'm sure it would give her a red flag that she would mention to you. It's documented proof that it weighed something and was paid.

Now if they claimed they got two pounds of rocks, that may be a different story.

I was going to mention that last part if you didn't.

It's really unbelievable how much distrust eBay has helped cultivate over the years between buyers and sellers. Yeah the blame falls on the buyers and sellers as well, but has eBay made it much worse.

Unfortunately it seems that no matter how close you follow protocols, there's always some crap a buyer could pull that you couldn't definitely prove against. What a PIA eBay can be sometimes. Hope things go your way, good luck.

Btw, it will be interesting to see if he actually follows through and files the report. If you don't hear anything further, then the buyer is probably full of crap- who would be stupid enough to document a scam they were pulling by putting it on file with the police?

Edited by LAK74

who would be stupid enough to document a scam they were pulling by putting it on file with the police?

That was my exact thinking on the matter. Thus far he doesn't seem inclined to scam me, but anything can happen I guess.

If he does that, the next box will have 2 pounds of glitter and dog poop.

If he does that, the next box will have 2 pounds of glitter and dog poop.

Glitter weighs nothing. Make sure you have access to a Great Dane or St.Bernard.

Glitter weighs nothing. Make sure you have access to a Great Dane or St.Bernard.

If not, I'll make doo.

I always snap a pic of the item packed in the box before I seal it up because of this very potential scenario. People are such a*******, they will do anything to scam someone.

So, question, if he files a claim and eBay sides in your favor, what happens? Do they refund him his money and require you to go after USPS to get your money back? Or, is the onus on the buyer to recoup any costs? If the jersey sold for more than $100 someone would be out that additional money.

So, question, if he files a claim and eBay sides in your favor, what happens? Do they refund him his money and require you to go after USPS to get your money back? Or, is the onus on the buyer to recoup any costs? If the jersey sold for more than $100 someone would be out that additional money.

If they side with me, I don't have to do anything. Technically I don't even have to file the insurance claim, he does. But I'll do it to try to help the guy out, if he legitimately didn't get it, I do feel bad. But its pretty clear from the tracking that SOMEONE got it.

And yes, the jersey did sell for more than $100 which is why I asked about this situation. I didn't buy insurance, but he didn't ask for it or pay for it.

If they side with me, I don't have to do anything. Technically I don't even have to file the insurance claim, he does. But I'll do it to try to help the guy out, if he legitimately didn't get it, I do feel bad. But its pretty clear from the tracking that SOMEONE got it.

In cases like this, if the USPS claims the item was delivered, would they even bother to pay the claim if one were filed? Has anyone ever run into this problem where no one admits fault and the buyer ends up with nothing despite the insurance coverage and the filed claim?

You're fine as long as you have tracking. The fact that he said he's filing a police report is strange and makes me think he's trying to scare you into refunding his money. It's a pretty poor attempt too.

You're fine as long as you have tracking. The fact that he said he's filing a police report is strange and makes me think he's trying to scare you into refunding his money. It's a pretty poor attempt too.

That is correct, as long as the value is under $750. If its over $750, you also need a signature confirmation.

If that is what he was trying to do, you are right, it was a very poor attempt. Especially since he never asked me for a refund or said anything remotely like that. I don't scare too easily and I have no problem calling up the police precinct after he gives me the report to confirm its true.

Though, I assume that would be something that the USPS would do during their investigation, so I may not bother. If he wants to give me false information that I send to the USPS saying "The recipient said he reported it to the police, here is the info he gave me", that would be another poor choice on his part.

In any event, after like 15 messages within an hour, he hasn't contacted me all day.

Right, that's exactly what I thought. By threatening to file a police report, the buyer has sort of put himself in a corner if he's not on the level. If he files the report he could possibly get in trouble with authorities, and if he doesn't file, you called his bluff and it makes him look like he's lying, which won't look good to eBay.

Edited by LAK74

Right, that's exactly what I thought. By threatening to file a police report, the buyer has sort of put himself in a corner if he's not on the level. If he files the report he could possibly get in trouble with authorities, and if he doesn't file, you called his bluff and it makes him look like he's lying, which won't look good to eBay.

Yup, so I played it correctly is what you're saying.

That's what I would have done.

Yeah, I'd have done the same. Something isn't right about the whole thing.

Yeah, I'd have done the same. Something isn't right about the whole thing.

Agreed. I was put off from the beginning when he won the auction and then complained about the shipping cost, which was the actual USPS rate. I suppose I could have offered him a Flat Rate box from the beginning, but I didn't. He tried to convince me that shipping should only cost $6.95, which I obviously explained to him was completely incorrect.

I even offered to cancel the transaction, because I already had the feeling he was high maintenance.

And now this. People are a pain in the Arse sometimes.

I assume that all your communication was done through eBay messages, right, and not offline, email-to-email? That always helps because eBay will then be able to look-up all of that back-n-forth and no one can deny anything that was said.

I assume that all your communication was done through eBay messages, right, and not offline, email-to-email? That always helps because eBay will then be able to look-up all of that back-n-forth and no one can deny anything that was said.

Yup, all communication was done via eBay.