New arrivals v5.0

Brilliant!

I never knew Starter replicas had double elbows. Crazy.

Starter & Pro Player replicas both do and all the cresting is usually sewn...while the material is a bit different from the authentic counterparts the jersey is more or less an authentic minus the fight strap.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starter & Pro Player replicas both do and all the cresting is usually sewn...while the material is a bit different from the authentic counterparts the jersey is more or less an authentic minus the fight strap.

Under-arm gussets?

What mountain king said is correct. I dont know team by team with the starters but replicas are made out of air knit and authentics are either ultrafil, mesh or airknit (depends on team and year).

I dont know team by team with the starters but replicas are made out of air knit and authentics are either ultrafil, mesh or airknit (depends on team and year).

Starter made ultrafil authentics? I thought that was strictly a CCM thing.

What mountain king said is correct. I dont know team by team with the starters but replicas are made out of air knit and authentics are either ultrafil, mesh or airknit (depends on team and year).

And depending on which replica jersey you get from Starter, you may even get different types of Star-Knit. I got a white Starter (Panthers) replica for nameplates, and it was made of the "spongy" Star-Knit that we all know and love. I got another Starter replica (Bruins), and that one had a knit that resembled CCM's Air-Knit. So it's a bit of a crap-shoot with those jerseys.

Sidney Crosby 2011 WInter Classic Premier... ie. the concussion jersey. Found on Kijiji really cheap, so I couldn't pass up.

8266nhm_20.jpeg

680949n_20.jpeg

Two teams wore Starter ultrafil: Montreal and Pittsburgh. Though, I suspect that Montreal just wore regular CCM ultrafil with Starter tags because the ones I've felt always seemed a little heavier and thicker than the Penguins ultrafil. Strange.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I wonder which years Pittsburgh used ultrafil, and which model jerseys; I only have one Starter Pens authentic and it's a knit, definitely not ultrafil.

I think it was the first half of the 1996-97 season. Because, in the 2nd half, they switched to the nylon mesh ones that the Avalanche, Rangers and Blues also wore.

Yes the elusive Pens starter mesh - I've only seen a couple ever in eBay. I have a blank black & and so did Victim (he turned his into a Mario) and some else on here had both black & white Pens Starter mesh (cupcakejesus maybe?).

Two teams wore Starter ultrafil: Montreal and Pittsburgh. Though, I suspect that Montreal just wore regular CCM ultrafil with Starter tags because the ones I've felt always seemed a little heavier and thicker than the Penguins ultrafil. Strange.

IIRC, ProPlayer made ultrafil jerseys for Montreal in their one and only season 1999-2000. Even their replica jerseys used that material.

I used to think the same thing too until I saw a few game-worn Starter jerseys at one of the more recent MeiGray Expos. There was no mistaking them as anything but ultrafil because I felt them. Very tight and VERY heavy. Great stuff. HOWEVER, I've never owned a Montreal retail Starter jersey so I can't exactly speak to that 100%. Perhaps the retail ones were in that Starter puffy-knit material. I don't know.

When I was able to get all that close-out Starter stuff, Montreal was the one team I never saw any jerseys of. So I'm with you on that one, I don't know for sure. I do have a Montreal ProPlayer replica, which is ultrafil. I recall reading years ago that they were the one team that PP manufactured that used that type of material.

And depending on which replica jersey you get from Starter, you may even get different types of Star-Knit. I got a white Starter (Panthers) replica for nameplates, and it was made of the "spongy" Star-Knit that we all know and love. I got another Starter replica (Bruins), and that one had a knit that resembled CCM's Air-Knit. So it's a bit of a crap-shoot with those jerseys.

... and maybe you might even find something like this: Starter mesh replica

CHI_Away_Starter_Mesh_Repl.jpg

Missing shoulder patches, ok... sh** happens. But it has no re-inforced shoulders and elbows. Possibly the weirdest Starter replica I've ever seen. I planning to put Savard on it, does anyone have red mesh for a nameplate?

1329010366[/url]' post='83732']

... and maybe you might even find something like this: Starter mesh replica

Missing shoulder patches, ok... sh** happens. But it has no re-inforced shoulders and elbows. Possibly the weirdest Starter replica I've ever seen. I planning to put Savard on it, does anyone have red mesh for a nameplate?

wow - awesome jersey find!!!

When I was able to get all that close-out Starter stuff, Montreal was the one team I never saw any jerseys of. So I'm with you on that one, I don't know for sure. I do have a Montreal ProPlayer replica, which is ultrafil. I recall reading years ago that they were the one team that PP manufactured that used that type of material.

I have a white authentic Starter Canadiens. I don't really know if it's retail but according to the look of the tag I guess it is. It's a Made in Canada Ultrafil and feels just like a Penguins El Salvador Authentic. The Canadiens jersey (#8 Recchi "A") is for sale, by the way :blush::)

Yeah, it's nice and heavy, right? Like the old CCM ultrafil. I love that stuff. The game ones I've seen almost seemed heavier than the CCM ones too. I'd love to find one of those. Too bad those teams were just sooooo bad. There's not much besides Koivu that would be worth the money.

The Habs' Pro Player ones were definitely the only PP ultrafil jersey there was. The rest were all that nice Nike-style air-knit and then the mesh for the Avs.

I have a white authentic Starter Canadiens. I don't really know if it's retail but according to the look of the tag I guess it is. It's a Made in Canada Ultrafil and feels just like a Penguins El Salvador Authentic. The Canadiens jersey (#8 Recchi "A") is for sale, by the way :blush::)

See, there's something right there: Made In Canada. It could have been that Starter sub-contracted that out to someone like SP, who did work for Nike/Bauer for sure. SP used that material for IHL/AHL jerseys that they made for Bauer and under their own name. I have some Cleveland Barons SP jerseys that are ultrafil, I believe. And a few IHL ones, also.

I've talked to a couple experts so far, and this one is sort of weird. I have no explanation and little history. It came from the same person as the Bure posted a few posts back. Customization matches all of my CBJ gamers of the same era, the size is right for the player...yet when sold, there was no mention of being game worn, issued of any kind. What little the seller remembers is that she bought it and had Klesla sign it at the 2003 All Star Game (he was in the young stars game.

About the only thing that's a little goofy is that the nameplate is sewn on 'inside' the outer seam so you can kind of peel it back a quarter inch or so all the way around. Most, if not all jerseys I have are sewn to the edge all around the nameplate.

I think it's obviously not game worn at all, but it's also not something anyone would ever bother to fake or customize. I look forward to learning more about the origin. It could be as simple as jerseys being sold that weekend having the NHLPA patch, but that isn't something I've heard of before. Looking forward to some input from the rest of you.

6860175589_2fef47415d.jpg

6860177053_3d6757995a.jpg

6860179605_da4cbcd1a8.jpg

I wonder which years Pittsburgh used ultrafil, and which model jerseys; I only have one Starter Pens authentic and it's a knit, definitely not ultrafil.

I think it was the first half of the 1996-97 season. Because, in the 2nd half, they switched to the nylon mesh ones that the Avalanche, Rangers and Blues also wore.

You're right, I found a Pens 1996-97 that's definitely ultrafil:

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=62&lotid=639

Well, I learned a few more things about Starter jerseys; thanks to all for their input.

I've talked to a couple experts so far, and this one is sort of weird. I have no explanation and little history. It came from the same person as the Bure posted a few posts back. Customization matches all of my CBJ gamers of the same era, the size is right for the player...yet when sold, there was no mention of being game worn, issued of any kind. What little the seller remembers is that she bought it and had Klesla sign it at the 2003 All Star Game (he was in the young stars game.

About the only thing that's a little goofy is that the nameplate is sewn on 'inside' the outer seam so you can kind of peel it back a quarter inch or so all the way around. Most, if not all jerseys I have are sewn to the edge all around the nameplate.

I think it's obviously not game worn at all, but it's also not something anyone would ever bother to fake or customize. I look forward to learning more about the origin. It could be as simple as jerseys being sold that weekend having the NHLPA patch, but that isn't something I've heard of before. Looking forward to some input from the rest of you.

6860175589_2fef47415d.jpg

6860177053_3d6757995a.jpg

6860179605_da4cbcd1a8.jpg

That was the same seller I got my St. Pats authentic from

Probably youngsters game? ( I say this because all-star jerseys are the ones with the mumps on the hem as well)

Wooten when that jersey was up on eBay I did some research and from what I could find I think it might have been an Upper Deck made jersey. I had found some other examples of jerseys without retail tagging and the NHLPA tag that came from them.

And it would not have been from the YSG because it does not have a YSG patch.