The EDGE 2.0 thread

akteon

Unfortunately they havent had any left (at least thats what they tell me) but I might try to make sure I get one from this season, particularly the alt. I also def would not pay that price for the same reason.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not belong here, but on the topic of Real Sports, does anyone know if they still have authentic 2012 ASG jerseys?

I called them and asked if they did and they said they sold out, but I don't know if I should trust them :)

Brandon, I think they are biased against Americans! Merica!

Yeah team issued jerseys are usually a great deal but I agree it is hard to believe you got a deal from Steiner. Even MeiGray is charging pretty goofy prices for Caps game issued jerseys.

I asked what else might be posted and he said Pitt, Wash, Chicago and possibly others. I don't tend to ask sellers like that where they get their stuff since its not really my business but this early in the season and getting retail 2.0s no one else has? He's got a good connection that's for sure.

I'm not saying I got a deal from Steiner, I'm just wondering how he could charge more for a blank than a GI jersey from an overpriced company, on a fan-favorite, popular player. I know Reebok overcharges the hell out of their jerseys to begin with, but there has to be a happy medium, (and I don't mean the "Indo-edge" crap, I mean the price of a true authentic.) what is the actual "Cost" reebok puts into an authentic 2.0 before they could add profit?

what is the actual "Cost" reebok puts into an authentic 2.0 before they could add profit?

Im a firm believer that teams pay $50-125/jersey, so Reebok is obviously paying less than that to make the jersey

The Winnipeg Jets 2.0s retail for $250 or 300. One or the other.

I'm not saying I got a deal from Steiner, I'm just wondering how he could charge more for a blank than a GI jersey from an overpriced company, on a fan-favorite, popular player. I know Reebok overcharges the hell out of their jerseys to begin with, but there has to be a happy medium, (and I don't mean the "Indo-edge" crap, I mean the price of a true authentic.) what is the actual "Cost" reebok puts into an authentic 2.0 before they could add profit?

Well while I agree the price is over the top, its just that, a price. Whats to be seen is if someone will actually pay it. As it stands right now, he is essentially the only guy in the world selling Oilers Edge 2.0s but as it appears they are retail jerseys, so its only a matter of time (probably a few weeks) before they are available at a bunch of places for normal/retail prices.

Forget the price, I'm just excited to see that in addition to the usual suspects (Jets, WC, Heritage) he has retail tagged workmark Edge 2.0s for 3 different teams (Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton). That's the first hopeful sign I've seen that maybe they are switching to a retail Edge 2.0.

As Brandon said, hopefully we'll start to see these at other retail outlets soon!

The Oilers one doesn't make much sense. They're the one team in the league that still uses the 1.0 exclusively.

Exactly - that's why it's a great sign that they may finally be selling wordmark Edge 2.0s at retail, since those definitely aren't team issues.

Now I'm just worried it's a Canadian team only thing :P

^fine by if it is haha

You take that back!

I'm in the Canada boat too. I'd love a Habs 2.0! DEFINITELY not for $400 though. I'd rather buy a Paul Mara Habs gamer for that. I really should do that too.

Im a firm believer that teams pay $50-125/jersey, so Reebok is obviously paying less than that to make the jersey

You would be extremely incorrect. Reebok charges teams a ton for their jerseys, then manipulates the retail market to keep the secondary pricing down. That hurts the retail margins, which has to be made up for in other ways. That's why novelties, t-shirts, and everything else is so much more expensive than it was before...it has to make up for the Reebok greed cartel.

The NHL, believe it or not, takes this stuff pretty seriously. The league loses a ton of money from bootlegging, so when team retailers are reporting that it's a huge issue because of Reebok's pricing at every level, they listen.

Eh...I don't know if I believe that. I've seen firsthand what Steiner pays for the Rangers 2.0 jerseys and they most definitely are NOT a fortune. Think blank 6100.

You would be extremely incorrect. Reebok charges teams a ton for their jerseys, then manipulates the retail market to keep the secondary pricing down. That hurts the retail margins, which has to be made up for in other ways. That's why novelties, t-shirts, and everything else is so much more expensive than it was before...it has to make up for the Reebok greed cartel.

The NHL, believe it or not, takes this stuff pretty seriously. The league loses a ton of money from bootlegging, so when team retailers are reporting that it's a huge issue because of Reebok's pricing at every level, they listen.

There is no way MeiGray is able to sell blanks for $50/75 if teams are paying more for them. They are not going to lose money on those. Isn't the markup on a retail jersey 400-500%? Teams are not paying retail prices for a jersey.

Completely serious: can you confirm?

Im pretty positive team price on a jersey is about $130-175. This is directly from personell that sells the game worn jerseys for a certain team. Im unsure of MeiGray's relationship with teams as to why they can sell them for that price but possibly its just to recoup costs on defunt style jerseys.

Im pretty positive team price on a jersey is about $130-175. This is directly from personell that sells the game worn jerseys for a certain team. Im unsure of MeiGray's relationship with teams as to why they can sell them for that price but possibly its just to recoup costs on defunt style jerseys.

I could see $130-175 if the jersey is customized what I said originally was based on a blank. I don't know if you can trust someone from a team, someone in the Islanders organization told me they paid $300/jersey (customized), which I think is BS because if you paid $300 for the jersey, you would not have a 50% off sale 3 months after the season ends, where about 85% of the jerseys cost less than $250!.

Lol.

I just can't see a professional team paying more than $150-175 customized for a jersey. I can't. With all of the companies out there who make custom jerseys for beer leagues/etc and charge less than $100 for 12 jerseys, a team that orders 300+ a year should be paying less. Hell, with my Hofstra roller hockey stuff (should I ever be able to order :(), I think the pants cost more than the jersey!

Eh...I don't know if I believe that. I've seen firsthand what Steiner pays for the Rangers 2.0 jerseys and they most definitely are NOT a fortune. Think blank 6100.

There is no way MeiGray is able to sell blanks for $50/75 if teams are paying more for them. They are not going to lose money on those. Isn't the markup on a retail jersey 400-500%? Teams are not paying retail prices for a jersey.

Completely serious: can you confirm?

MeiGray buys the jerseys in massive quantities, and thus gets a bulk discount. The fact that they're usually limited to certain sizes (54, 56, 58, 58+) also helps matters.

I'd imagine Steiner has the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale. On the other hand, considering how many sets and jerseys of every player there most likely are...

Both of those buy substantially more jerseys than even the largest team shop does. It's not even close.

And no, the markup isn't 400-500%. It's not anywhere near that, on a jersey or on anything else.

I could see $130-175 if the jersey is customized what I said originally was based on a blank. I don't know if you can trust someone from a team, someone in the Islanders organization told me they paid $300/jersey (customized), which I think is BS because if you paid $300 for the jersey, you would not have a 50% off sale 3 months after the season ends, where about 85% of the jerseys cost less than $250!.

Lol.

I just can't see a professional team paying more than $150-175 customized for a jersey. I can't. With all of the companies out there who make custom jerseys for beer leagues/etc and charge less than $100 for 12 jerseys, a team that orders 300+ a year should be paying less. Hell, with my Hofstra roller hockey stuff (should I ever be able to order :(), I think the pants cost more than the jersey!

Big difference: any high school, club team, or beer league team has a lot of options. NHL teams have only one.

Consider that, in the last few years, Reebok has done the following:

- Increased their own pricing dramatically, with a negligible increase in production costs

- Refused to allow team stores to carry Edge 2.0 for retail (because they need to get rid of that 1.0 material somehow)

- Foisted the Indo-Edge on the team shops, then lied through their teeth and said it was the same thing as what was on the ice

I'm 6-2 225 and I wear a size 50 1.0 and size 52 2.0. I have a 58+ 2.0 and Its like wearing a bed sheet

Sell it to me

Man I wish they can get the current LA Kings 2.0's out for sale, I'll proebebly buy 10 of them at once.