New Arrivals v6.0

JeffB

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary that Im agreeing with this clown but the germaphobe in me has to. Smells from sweat are bacteria.

Haha I agree too. PB is actually right. I even wash my game used jerseys...of course Im going to wash a NHLers

To join in on the conversation on washing the shirt - Think about it for a minute. Every shirt I've gotten from MeiGray has been washed, as it didn't smell like the player's equipment (thankfully). Why not wash it? I remember a good quote from HJimm along the lines of "real wear doesn't wash out", so wash away. It's not like the teams do it or anything... :unsure:

I plan on washing it after I can watch the game over and try to get a screen cap of the stains.

Is Meigray normally the ones to wash the jerseys?

From A Blogging With Barry Post:

"It's not easy lugging a set of one-game jerseys home from an arena. Although they are authenticated and packed in one huge hockey bag within minutes after the game (yes, I wear surgical gloves), I usually have to drag them to my rental car, drag them back to the hotel, lug them to the airport, and hold my breath to make sure nothing happens between takeoff and landing."

http://blogginwithbarry.blogspot.com/2013/01/in-from-la-out-to-denver.html?m=1

I don't think MeiGray washes the jerseys. All teams have industrial sized washers and dryers. But I think the Isles traded theirs to Boston for Tim Thomas.

I've been curious about that question myself. Almost every jersey I got from MeiGray has the same distinctive (but not unpleasant) smell to it. I only got one from them that wasn't washed, and it stank pretty badly so I washed it myself. Has anyone else here noticed if their MeiGray jerseys all have the same laundered smell as well?

I've been curious about that question myself. Almost every jersey I got from MeiGray has the same distinctive (but not unpleasant) smell to it. I only got one from them that wasn't washed, and it stank pretty badly so I washed it myself. Has anyone else here noticed if their MeiGray jerseys all have the same laundered smell as well?

Yup. They probably all smell that way because they have 10,000s of jerseys on racks close together.

^ Indeed. That smell is most likely the material itself (it's the inspiration for the quip underneath my username)

Edit: I don't think it really matters whether it's the team or MGG that does the washing. I doubt their methods are so different in the end. The wash tag is usually pretty reliable for instructions.

But assuming you wash your shirt on a gentle cycle with plain detergent (no extra chemicals, no scents, no fabric softeners, etc.), then it's not like you're doing anything wildly different from the teams. There is a difference between being a conservative collector and wanting to preserve the integrity of the shirt, and being yucky and having a biohazard shirt in your closet.

I was just wondering because as the blog post that I posted said Barry took the jerseys minutes after the game. On top of that, mine smells while the poster who got the Jordan Nolan doesn't.

The smell could have to do with the fact that Gagne played 16:40 over 20 shifts that game while Nolan played just 8:35 on 13 shifts. Nolan didn't play more than 3:56 in a period and his shifts were relatively spaced out. Half the ice time and gaps between shifts may mean less sweat for Nolan and thus less funk. Or Gagne may just be a bigger and smellier sweater in general.

I dont know how easy its gonna be to photomatch the Gags. Those sweat marks dont usually show up until the jersey dries, been playing hockey all my life and once my equipment dries the white sweat marks show up but never during the game.

I dont know how easy its gonna be to photomatch the Gags. Those sweat marks dont usually show up until the jersey dries, been playing hockey all my life and once my equipment dries the white sweat marks show up but never during the game.

Good point. Didn't even think of that one and ive been playing my entire life. Guess I'll be looking for the loose thread on arm numbers.

Meigray has an ad out (seen in the hockey news) and I think in the 2012 WC program that states they wash them first or something crafty along those lines.

I think it is because it is a one gamer. They dont wash them from what I've heard.

I have a Primeau one gamer that was never washed. Maybe my Richards jersey as well. Both are from "shirts off our backs promotion" games. They both stink badly. I probably have many diseases in my closet but I am ok with that. They are in suit bags so its all good. I havent broke out with anything yet. Yet!

I have a Primeau one gamer that was never washed. Maybe my Richards jersey as well. Both are from "shirts off our backs promotion" games. They both stink badly. I probably have many diseases in my closet but I am ok with that. They are in suit bags so its all good. I havent broke out with anything yet. Yet!

Whatever is culturing in your unwashed gamers can't be worse than anything you would be infected with in Philly/South Jersey.

Good lord, congrats on finding a match. He must have the most intense warmup of any Kings player. Thats a great picture to print out and have too man.

From the drip stains on the crest and the white residue above it, it makes me wonder whether Gagne squirted himself in the face with an electrolyte drink from a bottle, and the fluid just dripped down all over the jersey. Just a wild theory.