2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

Are their any other team that will get a chance to host one of these games? I say no, because what's best for the NHL is to keep shoving the rangers or the teams with one or two superstars in our faces. Rivalries just don't seem to be allowed unless the media gets to fuel it up. Less fighting, less hitting and still yet fewer goals being scored. Water it down and soon it will become international hockey. Hooray!!!!

Seriously? The Rangers/Flyers have had a rivalry for years. Same with the Wings and Blackhawks. Both of those are far from the media/league hyped fake rivalry of the Pens/Caps. I think the league dropped the ball not having the Bruins/Habs rivalry in the WC.

I do agree with you that they need to not repeat teams. Yes, I do want a WC in NYC with the Rangers hosting someday, but I'm okay if that's not for a few more years. Minnesota is perfect for a WC game as is St. Louis or Colorado.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So was I seeing things, or was the ref FROM Philly TRYING to screw us? That "dive" on Callahan was bulls***, and the penalty shot was an even bigger joke.

Great win and two big points.

While I agree the Delay of Game and Holding the Stick penalties were bad, there is absolutely no way you can argue the penalty shot. It's cut and dry, hopping on the puck in the crease and covering it is absolutely a penalty shot. It worked out because he saved a goal and the penalty shot was stopped, but there is absolutely no way to argue that call.

For any interested parties, the Rangers were using EDGE nameplates. I would imagine everything else was felt but I can't be sure about that yet.

Seriously? The Rangers/Flyers have had a rivalry for years. Same with the Wings and Blackhawks. Both of those are far from the media/league hyped fake rivalry of the Pens/Caps. I think the league dropped the ball not having the Bruins/Habs rivalry in the WC.

I do agree with you that they need to not repeat teams. Yes, I do want a WC in NYC with the Rangers hosting someday, but I'm okay if that's not for a few more years. Minnesota is perfect for a WC game as is St. Louis or Colorado.

I was annoyed when the Pens repeated, and annoyed again that the Flyers got it. It's not fair. It needs to go out west. I know it's not realistic to expect every team to have one before a repeat, but 2 in 5 years is overkill.

It's already pretty much announced its in Detroit next year, so we're seeing another repeat.

Anyone gotten their Flyers jersey back from Philly Express yet?

Mine's a replica, but yea. Myself and 5 friends all got ours done there.

Jagr

Giroux (x 2)

Briere

Pronger

van Riemsdyk

Names, numbers, and nameplate are all felt.

For those who wanted to hear the stories of the surprises my friends and I had planned...

First friend:

This is the guy who's mother passed away shortly after Thanksgiving. He sacrificed a lot for her, taking a job that worked from 3:00 AM - 12:00 PM, so that he was able to take her to doctor's appointments. He stayed living at home to take care of her, rarely got to go out with friends, and is just, in general, a great guy and a great friend. Going to the Winter Classic was something he really wanted to do (being a huge Flyers fan, but an ENORMOUS Phillies fan), but was something he would never be able to afford. My aunt is a Phillies STH, and ended up winning the lottery for 2 tickets, and so I gathered up his friends on Facebook to try to raise the money. In under 24 hours, we raised $1000, and were able to buy him 2 tickets, a Giroux WC jersey, 2 Winter Classic winter hats, a Winter Classic scarf, and paid for his parking. When we gave it to him, he was completely blown away, and shocked. When he saw the card with all of the names of people who donated, his exact words were "Holy f____" (fill in the blanks). Yesterday was a great day. Getting to see his reaction to being in the ballpark, and taking lots of pictures with him, is something I'll never forget. It was an unbelievable moment, and I'm glad he was able to go to the game.

Here we are:

396410_10102015575946534_9355937_88836143_2109068573_n.jpg

And in front of the Harry Kalas statue (me putting my hat on the statue was front page of The Intelligencer today)

378642_10102015596894554_9355937_88836359_405803080_n.jpg

Second friend:

I had a part in helping with this surprise. One of my other friends is a Bruins fan, and we all went to the Winter Classic there together. He broke up with his girlfriend (Flyers fan) a few months before. 2 years later, and they've recently gotten back together. He got her 2 tickets to the game (I gave him a loan while he was cash-poor to be able to buy them), and a Giroux WC jersey which we took to the Flyers Meet the Team STH party, and had Giroux sign "To Kim, Go Flyers". Here is her reaction:

Just such a great event to be a part of.

I'm confused, the Kim chick didn't have a mustache and the first friend didn't boo Santa or kick a puppy or anything. What is this world coming to?! :blink:

Seriously, great job helping out two friends. :thumbsup:

For those who wanted to hear the stories of the surprises my friends and I had planned...

First friend:

This is the guy who's mother passed away shortly after Thanksgiving. He sacrificed a lot for her, taking a job that worked from 3:00 AM - 12:00 PM, so that he was able to take her to doctor's appointments. He stayed living at home to take care of her, rarely got to go out with friends, and is just, in general, a great guy and a great friend. Going to the Winter Classic was something he really wanted to do (being a huge Flyers fan, but an ENORMOUS Phillies fan), but was something he would never be able to afford. My aunt is a Phillies STH, and ended up winning the lottery for 2 tickets, and so I gathered up his friends on Facebook to try to raise the money. In under 24 hours, we raised $1000, and were able to buy him 2 tickets, a Giroux WC jersey, 2 Winter Classic winter hats, a Winter Classic scarf, and paid for his parking. When we gave it to him, he was completely blown away, and shocked. When he saw the card with all of the names of people who donated, his exact words were "Holy f____" (fill in the blanks). Yesterday was a great day. Getting to see his reaction to being in the ballpark, and taking lots of pictures with him, is something I'll never forget. It was an unbelievable moment, and I'm glad he was able to go to the game.

Here we are:

396410_10102015575946534_9355937_88836143_2109068573_n.jpg

And in front of the Harry Kalas statue (me putting my hat on the statue was front page of The Intelligencer today)

378642_10102015596894554_9355937_88836359_405803080_n.jpg

Second friend:

I had a part in helping with this surprise. One of my other friends is a Bruins fan, and we all went to the Winter Classic there together. He broke up with his girlfriend (Flyers fan) a few months before. 2 years later, and they've recently gotten back together. He got her 2 tickets to the game (I gave him a loan while he was cash-poor to be able to buy them), and a Giroux WC jersey which we took to the Flyers Meet the Team STH party, and had Giroux sign "To Kim, Go Flyers". Here is her reaction:

Just such a great event to be a part of.

That is so cool, I think you made the grinches heart grow a few more sizes!

Thanks for sharing that story!

Heh...yup, that's mine actually. When I received the jersey, there was a very faint mark underneath the crest. Washing the jersey scared me though. Especially with the felt crest. So, I dug out the stitching on the crest itself and peeled it off gently. Doing that, it was nicely and easily run through the wash to remove the stain. Once it dries, back on the crest will go. Yay me!

Heh...yup, that's mine actually. When I received the jersey, there was a very faint mark underneath the crest. Washing the jersey scared me though. Especially with the felt crest. So, I dug out the stitching on the crest itself and peeled it off gently. Doing that, it was nicely and easily run through the wash to remove the stain. Once it dries, back on the crest will go. Yay me!

Now that is some borderline institutional OCD...

Well, it was either that or live with a stained jersey. As faint as it was, I wasn't thrilled with it being there. Also, since returning it for another one was impossible, I'd say this was a decent alternative. I didn't damage the jersey in any way and the crest will seal back up nicely since it's got a glue backing. I regret nothing!

Well, it was either that or live with a stained jersey. As faint as it was, I wasn't thrilled with it being there. Also, since returning it for another one was impossible, I'd say this was a decent alternative. I didn't damage the jersey in any way and the crest will seal back up nicely since it's got a glue backing. I regret nothing!

you are the Man know drop that and get to doing the real jersey FLYERS