2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I was at the game and as an impartial 3rd party both fans were rather obnoxious at the game. Ranger fan next to me was yelling let's go eagles in mocking fashion the whole game girl in front of me yelled at me as soon as she showed up at her seats even though I didnt say a word. I went with my 64 yr old father and the only stipulation I had to go was to wear a Rangers jersey (im an Islander fan dont hate me) We have been to various cities to watch games (Boston with Mets gear, sat in the blues at MSG in Isles garb, etc) but Philly is the only place I fear I will get beat up wearing an opponents jersey. After a Phillies/Mets game 2 20+ yr old guys were chasing my Dad down in the parking lot to start a fight. We sit at games with our gear on never stand up to cheer never shout out and Philly is the only place that the fans get extremely rowdy. In fact after the WC game I was walking down the sidewalk with my head down and a guy walking the opposite direction threw an elbow at me and kept walking. There is a line there and I know its a minority but I feel the minority is much higher in Philly then everywhere else. Sorry for my rant but I think the punishments should be extreme to deter this from happening, people are getting seriously injured now.

I have lived outside NYC since 1976 and have been to Yankee & Ranger games all over the country. I have always (40+ years) worn my jersey and always cheered vigorously. I have never taunted opposing fans but have responded when taunted. (two years ago at Chase field a DB fan made a comment, I responded)but never ever have I thought about attacking anyone nor have I been in fear of attack.

It is unreasonable for an opposing fan to not be able to cheer for their team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up to Pittsburgh for last year's Classic, "Rocking the Red"...and everyone was surprisingly nice to me. There were a lot of Caps fans around, but I sat right next to a die hard Pens fan (Caps hater), and he was super cool the entire game. He was actually going out of his way to make conversation and whatnot. We definitely received the usual banter waking by large groups of Pens fans, but that's to be expected when entering a home team's arena/stadium with the visiting team's jersey on. And even that was all in good fun. It was friendly and entertaining. I guess the same can be said when I used to go the Igloo with Capitals gear. I never had a problem. I know it's not Philly, but I just wanted to clear Pittsburgh. It's a great city.

As a Flyers fan the only advice I've ever given to opposing team's fans (friends who were going to Philly for a game) is don't start s***, and don't taunt the fans after goals. I've seen WAY too many opposing teams fans do this and frankly, that's the only time I've ever seen a fight start. I've been going to games, and sitting in the nosebleeds, for 15 years, and I've never seen Flyers fans just start with someone who didn't act like a ###### first.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Obviously it does. It happens with EVERY team's fans. There's always going to be someone who embarrasses the fanbase by taking things to another level and getting violent. I'm just saying that the times I've seen fights start are when the opposing team fan comes into our building and acts like an a******. If you do that, you're looking for a fight. Everyone is entitled to come to the game, and enjoy the game, and cheer on their team. No one should be faulted for doing that. But when you turn around to face fans behind you to taunt them or throw things at people, or any of the other childish and cowardly acts we've all seen far too many times, then you're looking for a fight.

I, myself, have always tried to joke around and make friends with the home team fans when I'm an opposing fan, and also to do the same with opposing fans in our building. It adds to the experience and makes everything more fun.

Everyone needs to just stop being violent drunk morons and embarrassing their cities and fanbases and giving other people ammo to continue the negativity and violence. A couple hundred dumbasses who can't control themselves after having a couple beers are not "fans" and they do not represent the "fanbase" of any given city. For every taunt anyone can throw out about Philadelphia, there's certainly been stupid incidents that you had nothing to do with, but where a "fan" of your team was violent, or rude, or did something regrettable to an opposing team's fan. Throwing out insults and negativity just spurs on more insults and negativity, which, when mixed with alcohol and a mob mentality, result in mindless violence where no one accomplishes anything.

See that? He hit right on the head. If you are not a jerk, you will not be effed with. I have learned that through experience being a visitor AND a host. If you are respectable but supportive of your team on the road, 9 times out of 10, you won't be messed with. The same goes for home games. I've sat next to countless fans of the opposition at the Garden and they are almost all nice and respectful. That even goes for Islanders and Flyers fans...which is saying a lot! If you go to support your team and can take a little bit of playful jabbing from the other fans, you'll be fine. The biggest mistake is to get easily offended and start stuff with the other fans because then you will be turned on in a heartbeat. That's what starts most fights at Rangers-Islanders games. Some idiots end up drinking too much and starting after a goal or a fight and then there's another fight in the stands. Those guys are just idiots. I learned a long time ago that I don't need booze to enjoy the game. I might have a few but the more I drink, the less I watch the game. Especially when they're $9.50 a pop. I'd rather watch the game at that point.

To be honest, in my experiences, the worst fans around are Devils fans. They all seem to have this holier-than-thou attitude about themselves and the team. I very rarely meet a Devils fan that I can tolerate for an extended period of time. I don't really know why that is but it's the truth. There's always a couple that get up to the Garden and make a spectacle of themselves. In fact, the last few fights that I've seen while exiting the building, were Devils fans trying to start a 'Rangers suck' chant or some other spelling bee crap while leaving. That never lasts too long before one of them gets a fist in the face.

Well said. I was only at the Alumni game and everthing was fine in my section. Maybe it was more relaxed crowd that day but everything was cool. I make it a point when I go to games to just chill out and enjoy. I Never taunt any opposing fans simply for the fact that some people can't take a joke. It dosen't make you a better fan being a loud mouth. These games cost a ton to go to and the guy in the opposing teams jersey paid the same amount for their ticket. Everyone should be able to enjoy the experience.

I have lived outside NYC since 1976 and have been to Yankee & Ranger games all over the country. I have always (40+ years) worn my jersey and always cheered vigorously. I have never taunted opposing fans but have responded when taunted. (two years ago at Chase field a DB fan made a comment, I responded)but never ever have I thought about attacking anyone nor have I been in fear of attack.

It is unreasonable for an opposing fan to not be able to cheer for their team.

I agree with your last quote, people should be able to root for your team, when I'm in someone else's house however I keep my mouth shut even if I'm being taunted. DS...I, like you, try to befriend the people around me and for the most part, because I'm knowledgeable about the game, I don't have problems with the people around me. It is the random people walking around....and I have been to Philly for Isles/Flyers Mets/Phillies numerous times and like i said its a minority but it goes beyond yelling at someone it borderlines physicality everytime I go.

Yes but an opposing fan does not automatically get the right to be a doucher just because he's there and his team is doing well. If you're gonna be a tool in my section or near me, then you are getting it right back and even moreso. I just have to take the jersey off before I do any damage so I don't get your dirty blood on it!

Yes but an opposing fan does not automatically get the right to be a doucher just because he's there and his team is doing well. If you're gonna be a tool in my section or near me, then you are getting it right back and even moreso. I just have to take the jersey off before I do any damage so I don't get your dirty blood on it!

I agree to a point, if a guy is being a DB he's asking for it but it's not worth fighting and getting yourself hurt we don't play for the team just root for them....BTW leave the jersey on get some blood and rip it and issue it as "game worn" on eBay...ive seen it

All these stories about the bad things people have seen at games reminds me of this ...

30rock_tracy.jpg

Let's all just agree that there are drunk obnoxious fans for all teams and get back to spending our energy hating Reebok!

I paid over 360 for two good tickets to the Ranger Coyote game. No one gave me a hard time and I did not give anyone a hard time. I am still irritated they did not show the replays while waiting for the decision on the .1 second left goal.

All these stories about the bad things people have seen at games reminds me of this ...

30rock_tracy.jpg

Let's all just agree that there are drunk obnoxious fans for all teams and get back to spending our energy hating Reebok!

That is hilarious!

Hey, I'll admit it. I've lost it a couple times when it comes to certain fans. Honestly, the best place to do it is when everyone is leaving. You just sneak up behind them or wait for them to catch up to you and BOOM! pop them right in the face. I busted up my left hand rearranging an obnoxious Devils fan's face back before the lockout. I dropped that mouthy tool like a sack of poop though. Then I got the hell outta there and hopped on the train as quick as I could!

So fan on fan violence aside, does anyone know anywhere to find a Rangers WC Authentic?

I bought one on eBay from a seller in Chicago who listed 2 in stock but today I was told they were sold out and given a refund.

Why is it the one time I actually want to buy a Reebok jersey at full retail price, I can't find one. Eff Reebok!

I really want one too. Seems they are rarer than hens teeth.

Story gets more interesting. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/goon-flyers-fan-brags-beat-n-article-1.1001211

From my understanding now, it seems like the guys in the Flyers jersey had clear intent just to be douchers.

E30, facts are not generalizations.

Does anyone know if the Flyers nameplates on the WC jerseys are twill or felt?

Also, how do these look to you? Its from stitches, and it looks good to me, I just want to double check

My link

Felt nameplate and letters.

You could pull up the Giroux Gw jersey on nhl auctions and compare them.

It was a longshot, but I contacted Barry at MeiGray to see if there were any WC blanks left over and he said no.

Good call, Rob

Upon further inspection, the border along the numbers isnt thick enough making the numbers not quite the right size

I have to be honest about Stitches NJ, the more I see their work, the less I like it. Their Islanders numbering is wrong, their font for the Buffa Slug is wrong and I am not a fan.

Story gets more interesting. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/goon-flyers-fan-brags-beat-n-article-1.1001211

From my understanding now, it seems like the guys in the Flyers jersey had clear intent just to be douchers.

E30, facts are not generalizations.

Your claim "Ranger fans are sore winners" is not a fact.

We don't have enough experience winning to have any statistical qualification calculated.

We don't have enough experience winning to have any statistical qualification calculated.

Another board member on here (a ranger fan, xcdude) and I were supposed to figure out if the rangers and Isles seasons last year were statistically significant. (well the purpose was to see if the rangers was more statistically significant than the Isles).

I wonder why we never figured it out. I completely forgot the formula(s) to solve that.

I'll put it this way. My expectations are so low, I'd consider getting past the first round a major accomplishment.