2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

(I think its going to be Detroit or Minny that gets it next)

Minny does have Target Field. I think they should hold the Winter Classic at a neutral site. Lambeau Field in February on Super Bowl Sunday. Talk about "winter" :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit is a good option. They could play it in either Tiger Stadium or...THE BIG HOUSE! Holy crap, the Winter Classic in Michigan Stadium would be AMAAAAAAAAZING. Remember the Big Chill last year? Outstanding! Red Wings vs. Blues. There it is. Mark it down and get it done. If the Blues don't wear these:

BERNIE-FEDERKO.jpg

I would be a very grumpy Gus.

I was talking to my cousin's husband about "that". What ever happened to the late 90s-early 2000s rivalries? Like Detroit-Colorado, Detroit-St. Louis, Dallas-Detroit? I miss them :( (and the 90s!)

Detroit is a good option. They could play it in either Tiger Stadium or...THE BIG HOUSE! Holy crap, the Winter Classic in Michigan Stadium would be AMAAAAAAAAZING. Remember the Big Chill last year? Outstanding! Red Wings vs. Blues. There it is. Mark it down and get it done. If the Blues don't wear these:

BERNIE-FEDERKO.jpg

I would be a very grumpy Gus.

I was at the Big Chill, it was great and a WC would for sure set a new record. Having the game there though the NHL has to work out a deal with the Big Ten to allow beer sales as all Big Ten events are dry. I think they may play at the Tigers park since he owns the Wings and Tigers.

I thought the commish said last year that the Capitals would for sure host one in the next couple years? Is that not the case anymore?

All those teams went south while Detroit stayed at the top of the league. The Wings-Blues rivalry is still alive though. That is one that will never die because of the proximity and the divisional alignment. Many people also forget that Blues-Blackhawks was also one of the fiercest rivalries in the entire NHL but when both teams turned to crap in the 2000's, it didn't carry the weight that it did previously and is starting to again now.

that big chill game was a waxing...

Sabres should get a second WC before they spread it around too far

The first one in the Ralph was awesome.. The snow, the packed stadium, the tailgating it's all there in the city of no illusions.

Well Colorado used to be the Nordiques and I would assume they still own the rights to those jerseys and the logos and whatnot, so I'm guessing we'd see some combination of Avalanche and Nordiques in a Winter Classic sweater. As far as the Wild, they'd probably do something to reference Minnesota's hockey history without directly referencing the Stars.

I don't think we'll ever see either team in a WC though, the markets aren't big enough.

The NHL owns the rights to the Nordiques. So the team would have to get permission to use the logo/uniforms. I could see the Wild coming up with a completely NEW jersey for the game. Or maybe they would use their original green jerseys and make some modifications to them.

Honestly, I could see the next one being in St. Louis. The Blues are a team on the rise right now and they have a very solid and passionate fanbase AND a brand new baseball park to play in too. They could bring in a traditional rival like the Blackhawks or the Red Wings OR they could go even further and bring a team like the Kings in to incorporate the west coast into the mix. Personally, I would LOVE to see the Blues host the game in the near future. That's just me being selfish though because I want them to bring back the light blue and yellow jerseys from the 70's and 80's.

I think in 2013 we will see Detroit in the game, whether they host or are on the road. We all know the league LOVES huge tv ratings and big $ when it comes to merchandise sales, so I would make a firm bet the Red Wings are in next year. And I would say they probably host. I agree that it would be the ideal situation for them to play at Michigan Stadium. Comerica Park works too, but the Big House would rock!

You make a good point about St. Louis. They are playing well, have an increasing fan base, and are fun to watch. They also have several possible jerseys they could go with. Probably NOT that one Jeremy point out... for obvious reasons. :lol:

I thought the commish said last year that the Capitals would for sure host one in the next couple years? Is that not the case anymore?

Leonsis actually said/implied that after the Caps got screwed out of the 2010 game and was only the road team in 2011. All indications are the 2013 game will be at Nationals Park.

St. Louis isn't going to happen until they actually find someone with the cash willing to buy the team.

NHL.com is a joke. Here we are a week after the jerseys shipped out and I am still without a jersey and I have no way of tracking my shipment as the tracking number I was given was invalid. I spoke with a representative and was told I will be sent the correct tracking number in the next 5-7 days, which should be well after the jersey arrives (if it actually did ship). The greatest part of this is that the jersey shipped from NHl.com's Canadian warehouse in Mississauga, Ontario which is about a 20 minute drive from where I live. I would have attempted to pick it up if I had of known it would have been this big of a problem. Apparently it takes a week to ship something 20 minutes away...

Here in NYC if you are going to ship something from within the city to somebody 3 blocks away from you it has to be sent out to Long Island just to be sent back to the city to be delivered. I would have walked my previous sale over to the buyer if I would have been able to prove it for ebay purposes to get my money faster.

I was under the impression that he and Checketts had reached a verbal agreement earlier this fall but that the formal process was far from completion.

Checketts was under the impression that Hulsizer had money.

Here in NYC if you are going to ship something from within the city to somebody 3 blocks away from you it has to be sent out to Long Island just to be sent back to the city to be delivered. I would have walked my previous sale over to the buyer if I would have been able to prove it for ebay purposes to get my money faster.

You can't even do that anymore, not as long as eBay holds your money. My sister sold a Coach bag on eBay and when I called to find out why Paypal was holding her money, the guy told me they can't release it until they confirm delivery. So basically until you have 25 positive seller feedbacks you can't even do local pickup unless there's cash involved, and I wouldn't even take my chances with that.

So they're playing the Bears at the new Vet too or will it be at the Eagles stadium? When are they doing that? I didn't even hear about an AHL game. The Bears' jerseys should be pretty wild though because they NEVER disappoint.

Phantoms Winter Classic jersey.....

2792026310106460649yoidkX_th.jpg

Looks good...

Those are sweet I will be looking to buy one of those and Hamilton Bull dogs and the Marlies are having an out door game and the Bull dogs (Montreal farm team ) will de waring a special jersey