It arrived today v3.0

JeffB

This arrived today from MeiGray. It'll end up as a Fedorov.

2952013180107003020S500x500Q85.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I used acetone to remove some vinyl numbers from an old NS jersey, and it came off pretty good. Just hold tight, as I'm going to try and remove the cosby logo from my Smyl shortly -

2665589180105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

I'll add it to my original write-up, and link you guys to it.

In the meantime, got my grail today :) :) :) -

1987 Gretzky Rendez-Vous -

2313098520105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

2206987650105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

2313000210105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

It was hard enough finding one of these, let alone a fellow collector who was willing to let it go, but I finally found one, and got it for a great price to boot!!!

Holy crap!

A little late, but I love the Graves trio and the Cally rookie on the last page. Great pickups.

Thanks! I love 'em too.

I figured I could spare the $13 to have something unusual.

Not a lot of archivists around here I guess. I think the history of a team or organization, from media guides, to volunteer t-shirts to even junior jerseys is interesting.

Oh oh I'm one of those! Or at least I would be if I could afford to... :unsure: I think everything pre-lockout NHL and WHA is awesome, from jerseys to programs to pucks to cards to uh everything.

It just so happens that I have recently come into possession of multiple BOXES of old magazines, programs, media guides etc... from various sports and teams going quite a few years back. I have no idea how to find out the value of them, but if there are any teams that people on here are interested in, I can look to see what I have from said team when I start sorting through everything. I don't think we necessarily have a Devils collector on the board here, but I found a media guide from their 2nd or 3rd season in existence, just as an example.

That Gretzky is incredible!

The coolest and most rare part of my collection just came back from EPS today. Its amazing. I cant stop looking at this thing.

Team Issue Edge 2.0 "GnashVegas" Predators White Third

15xlp94.jpg

9899o9.jpg

And then the accompanying original:

8x0x3t.jpg

dr42de.jpg

Those are awesome, man. I think I like these better than the new home and away jerseys.

Yeah, I used acetone to remove some vinyl numbers from an old NS jersey, and it came off pretty good. Just hold tight, as I'm going to try and remove the cosby logo from my Smyl shortly -

I'll add it to my original write-up, and link you guys to it.

In the meantime, got my grail today :) :) :) -

1987 Gretzky Rendez-Vous -

It was hard enough finding one of these, let alone a fellow collector who was willing to let it go, but I finally found one, and got it for a great price to boot!!!

Wow, that thing is amazing. Congrats on finding it and being able to pick it up. Now hurry up and try removing that Cosby logo.

Wow, that thing is amazing. Congrats on finding it and being able to pick it up. Now hurry up and try removing that Cosby logo.

Those are some beauties great pick ups all around

What sewer? I need to stop by there. I really need to get one of those early 90's NHL all star authentics.

What sewer? I need to stop by there. I really need to get one of those early 90's NHL all star authentics.

Forget about it Rob, Im gonna GPS the nearest manhole cover and beat you to it

Same here... I'd actually prefer a replica though, but I'll take what I can get.

Where'd you get it?

So I went into my local Play it Again Sports to see if I could turn some of my son's old soccer shin guards and cleats into some gas money. There, I noticed a North Dakota Fighting Sioux jersey hanging from the wall, and being a sharp-eyed collector, I saw it was a CCM ultrafil and not a K1 brand.

I asked how much it was, figuring with the impending name change this could be a collectors item. The guy gets a ladder out and says that hardly anyone has asked about it. Then he tells me he found it in a gear bag someone brought in and that it's tagged wrong at $79.99 and he'll sell it to me for...

$10!

He takes it off the hook and hands it down to me. It's tagged as an "L" and does not have a fight strap, but does have double elbows. Oddly, it's customized as a #18 CLAVITER.

Claviter? Who the heck is that I wonder and look him up on my phone. Turns out there was a forward Bill Claviter who played at UND from 1983-84 to 1986-87.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19806

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1983/83077.html

Now, it seems far from likely that it's any sort of a game used jersey since it's size tagged instead of number tagged and has no fight strap and has very light marks on it which may have come from being in a gear bag, but on the other hand... when you have your choice of Tony Hrkac, Bob Joyce, Steve Johnson, Ian Kidd and some future Vezina Trophy winner named Ed Belfour, who actually pays to have a really, really nice jersey customized as a Bill Claviter??

The nameplate is a bit odd. It's not an identical match to the jersey material, but I wouldn't call it twill either. Perhaps a different style of airknit? The name plate is also not serged and is sewn on with a straight stitch, as shown below.

Either way, since I got an $18 store credit for the soccer gear, I essentially got the jersey (plus four new baseballs) for free. Even my wife, who probably wishes I would never buy another jersey as long as I live, said it was a great deal. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that she went to UND.

I hope Big A HD can enlighten me on what exactly I have on my hands here.

UNDF.jpg

UNDB.jpg

UNDD1.jpg

UNDD2.jpg

UNDD3.jpg

Had no idea that posting a $13 junior jersey would get such a reaction. A thousand pardons.

Hey I didn't mean to come off as ripping you or anything, just figured I'd let you know since you said you didn't really know much about junior hockey in the US. It's your jersey, if you like it anyway then enjoy! :stickhndl:

Hey Jeff,

Nice find, but I'm about to disappoint you a bit. The jersey is actually a counterfeit...but a pretty decent one. The details of the story are a bit fuzzy now, but a few years back someone had these jerseys made with the intent of selling them as game-worn Sioux jerseys from the 86-87 National Championship team. After a few collectors started finding these jerseys, it was quickly learned that they were being scammed. The jerseys disappeared for awhile, but I found the whole remaining collection on eBay roughly 2 years ago. The guy selling them on eBay when I found the auction was not selling them as game-worn and had acquired the lot from someone else. I purchased one of each color before the auctions were taken down by eBay to see how good they were and to document them (I ended up with a Joyce and a Johnson). Considering that it's darn near impossible to find game-worns of these (and if you do, you better be ready to pay) and that they never sold authentic versions of these jerseys, they are a pretty nice sweater if you are looking to have the closest thing to a gamer...even if they are technically fakes.

Just to point out what makes it fake, here's a list:

-Crest logo is way off

-CCM logoing is incorrect. Should be red-white-blue coloring and smaller

-Material is not the same as a true CCM Ultrafil, but very close.

There's other very minor details as well.

I'm not sure what these would be worth on an open market, but for $10 you can't complain too much. :)

Now that all makes sense. I was aware of the existence of the sets of fake "game worn" jerseys. As a matter of fact I know who had them made and the story he told to get them made and the manufacturer. He's even tried to sell me them on occasion, but already knowing about them, I blew him off, so I never got to see one in person before.

Now it makes sense that this jersey would have such an obscure player choice on it - they made the entire team set.

I've also seen this manufacturer sew on a nameplate with a straight stitch, which was not serged, so that inconsistency is actually now consistent with the story of this set of jerseys.

I certainly didn't expect it to be an actual gamer with the lack of number sizing, lack of fight strap and lack of game wear combined with the vibe I got from the version of the crest, so I guess the only real choice left now is wether to convert it into a Hrkac or a Belfour.