It is good or not?

lafountain

It's legit.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.customthrowbackjerseys.com/mike-bossy-new-york-islanders-1982-ccm-vintage-throwback-home-nhl-hockey-jersey/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-BOSSY-size-LARGE-New-York-Islanders-CCM-550-Hockey-Jersey-Blue-bnwt-/390928592720?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item5b0528ef50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-BOSSY-size-MEDIUM-New-York-Islanders-CCM-550-Hockey-Jersey-White-bnwt-/390810890788?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item5afe24f224

Hey all,

First post here, glad I found this forum !

I am looking to buy a Mike Bossy NY Islanders jersey and get it signed (lives close to my place). I will start my memorabilia collection with this. I don't plan on wearing the jersey so size isn't a concern.

I spotted these eBay ones (inserted on top of thread, wasn't able to insert them anywhere else ... even cut/copy/paste doesn't work .... weird). Made a research on the seller and he seems legit, but are the jerseys ? I can tell some differences between these and the one from Custom Throwback Jerseys. For example : Vintage neck tag, weird logo stitching on the white eBay one (or is it just the photo ?), numbering on the back of the white eBay one looks odd. Are any of these 3 real ones ???

Or, should I go with a Reebok one from coolhockey.com ? I was hoping to get a CCM Made in Canada since it's most likely what Bossy would have been wearing.

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks !

BigBob,

First of all, welcome to the forums!

For some reason, all three of those links seem to lead to the same eBay jersey, at least for me. The one I managed to see is a legit jersey, but it is a copy of the jersey the Islanders wore during the early-to-mid 2000's. (That style of jersey was also used starting in 1998, but the CCM logo was on the back hem instead of below the collar.) It has a shoulder patch commemorating the 4 Stanley Cups won by the team, which would not have been worn when Bossy played. Also the lettering is not the same as what Bossy would have worn in his day either. So it's a perfectly legit jersey, but it is more suitable to be customized to a player who was on the team during the 2000's, not the 1970's to 1980's.

Although the link didn't work, I've seen the CustomThrowbackJerseys photo, and that jersey (at least in the picture) looks more like what Bossy would have worn when he played. The customization is closer (but not 100% accurate) to what would have been used in Bossy's era. The jersey appears to be a legit CCM reissue (hence the Vintage Hockey tags) of the Islanders 1980's CCM jerseys. I say "appears" because I am not certain about where that company gets the blank jerseys that they letter up. Both myself and a few other members here, in the past, have bought CCM throwback jerseys from them that turned out to be made of SP flo-knit material (instead of the normal CCM airknit), with a poor-looking crest which was not the official one used on other CCM replicas. So I can only say that the jersey looks OK in the photos but I do not know for sure if you will get an official CCM version, or something else. If you don't want to take a chance, you can buy that same Vintage Hockey model blank from a legit dealer like SportsK.com, and get it customized somewhere that can do a good, accurate job. It's an extra step which will take more time, but it might be less expensive, and for sure you'll get a legit jersey.

Edited by LAK74

I get legit replicas when I order from customthrowbackjerseys.com. However, in the past I have ordered from an ebay seller called vintage-legends, because the listings and prices look the same, assuming it is the same guy. When I got the jersey from vintage-legends, I got a SP type airknit jersey. The guy at customthrowbackjerseys told me that he is in fact not the same guy as the guy on ebay.

From customthrowbackjerseys.com, I have ordered a 1980s Capitals white, a 1980s Nordiques blue, and a 1980s Bruins white, all made with CCM Air Knit from the CCM NHL Vintage Collection. My point of view on replicas is that it isn't a big deal to me what they are made out of. because they are all replicas anyway (the "real" ones being made out of durene, or ultrafil, or mesh), but you don't really want to buy a fake.

I also like customthrowbackjerseys.com because they have made several jerseys for me where I was very picky about things like the placement of letters/numbers/captain's C as well as names/numbers not listed in their catalog. So I will stick up for those guys when they come up in discussion. I think the guy on ebay is trying to pass off crap based on the reputation of the customthrowbackjerseys website. I'm surprised he is still up and running, to be honest.

Just out of curiosity, which model jersey did you order from vintage-legends, if you don't mind my asking? And was it a Vintage Hockey series, or just a regular CCM jersey?

It just looks tilted upwards a bit, but it doesn't necessarily look fake. Is it an ultrafil CCM replica? (It may have a screened CCM logo on the hem.)

It just looks tilted upwards a bit, but it doesn't necessarily look fake. Is it an ultrafil CCM replica? (It may have a screened CCM logo on the hem.)

Oh I was already 99% sure it was real, since I have an ancient white Oilers in the same style. This one used to have the CCM screened on the lower back but it seems to have came off over the years. The Oilers one I own still has it however. What year would this Blackhawks (and my Oilers one, if possible) jersey be from if it is in this style?

Just judging by the crest type and the tagging, I'd guess that the jersey was made in the early 90's, but I can't be more specific than that. But as it's a replica, you could probably have it done up as any player from the 90's. That is, if you don't care if the gameworns were Nikes & ProPlayers in the late 90's, not CCM.

Hm now that seems strange to me. Were all of these with the screened CCM logo from the early 90s? Just wondering because my father's Oilers one (which became mine) was worn during the time he played the game, which would have been as a teen during the late 70s-early/mid 80s.

The jersey itself has the screenprinted CCM on the hem exactly like this jersey and has Maska on the small basic cotton necktag, like you'd find on a T-shirt, rather than the big ones you'd find on a jersey nowadays.

43283-1350629378.JPG

There were CCM replicas with screened hem logos from the 80's as well. I was just basing my guess about the Hawks jersey on the appearance of the crest.

CCM started making NHL jerseys around 1983, so your father's jersey could very well be from the mid-80's. It would be interesting to see a pic of the necktag on the Oilers jersey.

Thanks for the pics. Actually that CCM tag looks like a standard one that was used on pro jerseys from around 1983-86, and replica jerseys throughout the 80's and up to the mid-90's. It shouldn't be very different from the one on the Hawks jersey. Interesting about the born-on date tag- I was under the impression that only pro jerseys had those. Does that jersey by chance have double elbows, underarm gussets, or any type of fight strap?

Thanks for the pics. Actually that CCM tag looks like a standard one that was used on pro jerseys from around 1983-86, and replica jerseys throughout the 80's and up to the mid-90's. It shouldn't be very different from the one on the Hawks jersey. Interesting about the born-on date tag- I was under the impression that only pro jerseys had those. Does that jersey by chance have double elbows, underarm gussets, or any type of fight strap?

Decided i'd take pics of the jersey since that would be easier. I don't see any of the things listed though.

mEZXceU.jpg

SnZLKy4.jpg

LtECZ4m.jpg

gwH8TOU.jpg

You're right, it doesn't seem to have any of those features, so it appears to be a replica. It's interesting to note that even back then, CCM apparently made Oilers replicas even though the Oilers were using Nike jerseys exclusively. Your jersey must be the earliest example of a CCM replica that I've ever seen. It's amazing that screened CCM logo is still in such great shape. I also learned something new about born-on tags being present in replicas!

Yep! :thumbsup:

Hello all.
It's been a long time since last time I came around.

I don't know if i'm in the right thread, but I needed to address an issue about something that bothers me a lot.

That thing is fake jerseys.
I can't stand seeing someone in those, especially when they say it looks good.

I'll be honest, I already wanted to buy myself one of those "jerseys" but turned back as soon as I saw them.

Horrible stitching, sub-par material and everything.

The point is, I saw an ad on Kijiji Montreal, the ad is now long gone but I saved the photos that were included in there.

He was selling them 60$ each, for something he can get for 30$-35$ free shipping included.
For atleast 25$ more, he could get a legit Reebok replica. (Correct me if i'm wrong.)

I wanted to read you guys opinion about that, seeing as I hate these as much as you guys do.

Until then, may peace be with you.

post-20913-0-44474400-1417856827_thumb.j

post-20913-0-17277500-1417856828_thumb.j

post-20913-0-00505300-1417856831_thumb.j

post-20913-0-52511900-1417856831_thumb.j

post-20913-0-97078300-1417856831_thumb.j

post-20913-0-43272700-1417856832_thumb.j

post-20913-0-79286500-1417856832_thumb.j

post-20913-0-16663100-1417856833_thumb.j

post-20913-0-52862800-1417856833_thumb.j

post-20913-0-94552400-1417856833_thumb.j

I know they're all fakes.
The one that made me wanna throw up is the 4th picture I uploaded.

I mean, look at that horrible neckline. (Special mention to that NHL shield.)
Also, what does that "FDF" writing on it means?

It may be a stupid question but I've never seen that before.