NHL official press release: Adidas to take over jerseys

StayFrosty

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shout out for hooking us up with Louie Lam.

That was our apology for making everyone think David Clarkson was a good player.

Well played.

If only that could be said of clarkson after he left NJ...

If only that could be said of clarkson after he left NJ...

I don't know what happened there. I'm just glad it happened THERE and not here.

I don't know what happened there. I'm just glad it happened THERE and not here.

Literally nothing happened there, which was the whole problem with that signing. Edited by JoeM7392

When I was at Real Sports over the weekend I saw that all the Raptors gamers were made by adidas in Thailand using "climacool" or some shít like that.

Let's hope that the NHL stays in Canada and made in the Sport Maska facility that CCM/Reebok has been using for years.

For game jerseys, yes, adidas will keep the manufacturing in Canada for now. Interesting to note, they are knitting all fabrics in house, as well as doing any/all sublimation in house.

Whatever happens I don't think we'll see a complete redesign like we saw with the edge 1.0. Jerseys will probably stay the same expert for the adidas patch instead of reebok

The jersey will NOT be EDGE with adidas logo on it. It will be a new jersey "style", however, will keep the "principals" of EDGE intact.

The principal's of the 1.0 that was a failure or the principals of the 2.0 which acknowledged the failure of the 1.0?

For game jerseys, yes, adidas will keep the manufacturing in Canada for now. Interesting to note, they are knitting all fabrics in house, as well as doing any/all sublimation in house.

The jersey will NOT be EDGE with adidas logo on it. It will be a new jersey "style", however, will keep the "principals" of EDGE intact.

Junkyard -- thanks for weighing in on things in this thread. Your expertise and access to industry info are always appreciated.

The way you worded the first part of the first point above seems to indicate that the retail authentics will not be made in Canada. Is that a correct assumption?

Do you have any intel on what this in-house fabric will be like? Sounds like it will be different than Edge fabric based on your comment.

Does current sublimation on authentics get done by 3rd parties "after market" then?

It'll be interesting to see the new design based on your second point. Some of the key principles that the Edge brought in as new to jersey design were the tapered cut, the dress shirt tail and the multiple sewn panels versus the previous, more traditional boxy cut of the 6100. Sounds like some of that may be retained?

Thank you again. Always great to hear from you.

The principal's of the 1.0 that was a failure or the principals of the 2.0 which acknowledged the failure of the 1.0?

The principles (sorry for previous misspell) meaning the slimmer style jersey versus the old, boxy traditional style.

Junkyard -- thanks for weighing in on things in this thread. Your expertise and access to industry info are always appreciated.

The way you worded the first part of the first point above seems to indicate that the retail authentics will not be made in Canada. Is that a correct assumption?

Do you have any intel on what this in-house fabric will be like? Sounds like it will be different than Edge fabric based on your comment.

Does current sublimation on authentics get done by 3rd parties "after market" then?

It'll be interesting to see the new design based on your second point. Some of the key principles that the Edge brought in as new to jersey design were the tapered cut, the dress shirt tail and the multiple sewn panels versus the previous, more traditional boxy cut of the 6100. Sounds like some of that may be retained?

Thank you again. Always great to hear from you.

I was referring to the on-ice NHL, AHL, ECHL product with regards to being made in Canada. I wouldn't expect the supply chain to change from what it currently is.

Fabric wise, they're knitting the airknit fabric (2.0) in house. I'm sure any fabric they choose to use down the line will be knitted in house as well. Ironically, adidas has their own jersey knitting+sewing+sublimation factory in Europe as well. The European factory pushes out a ton of jerseys for both soccer (futbol) and hockey.

Current CCM sublimation is done in-house. I was told there is no more outsourcing to third parties.

Correct on the jersey "pattern", if you will. The way it was explained to me was that it was a better fitting "EDGE-style" jersey.

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

Correct on the jersey "pattern", if you will. The way it was explained to me was that it was a better fitting "EDGE-style" jersey.

Hopefully meaning less awkward fitting for a 6'6" guy not in the NHL that can have custom work done by the team?

The principles (sorry for previous misspell) meaning the slimmer style jersey versus the old, boxy traditional style.

I was referring to the on-ice NHL, AHL, ECHL product with regards to being made in Canada. I wouldn't expect the supply chain to change from what it currently is.

Fabric wise, they're knitting the airknit fabric (2.0) in house. I'm sure any fabric they choose to use down the line will be knitted in house as well. Ironically, adidas has their own jersey knitting+sewing+sublimation factory in Europe as well. The European factory pushes out a ton of jerseys for both soccer (futbol) and hockey.

Current CCM sublimation is done in-house. I was told there is no more outsourcing to third parties.

lol oops thats on me. I honestly wasn't trying to mock the spelling as I also used the wrong spelling too. Many apologies.

• 2 months later...

How close is it to edge airknit (nameplate/back of jersey material)?

Not

ClimaCool? Like the MLS jerseys? That doesn't look like the same material.

Yes, ClimaCool, said it right on the jersey. Photo is of an Argentina jersey, Messi in fact.

The material is the same as EDGE 1.0, turned inside out.

• 3 weeks later...

It's only a matter of time until the ads make there way to the NHL.

I've never watched a basketball game in my life because:

1. There's ice hockey

2. It's basketball

But I'm curious if having the benefit of advertisements all over the boards (since that's not an option during basketball games), and now even digitally imaged on the glass like a bad Lucas prequel would be reason enough that they wouldn't approve of also putting them on NHL hockey jerseys.

While we're all worried about ads on NHL jerseys ... the NBA has news today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/04/15/nba-owners-approve-jersey-ads/83077224/

The NBA needs every bit of help they can get to keep the monetary gravy train rolling. After all, they do have the highest average salary per player of the five major North American leagues. This became inevitable the moment David Stern retired. He was a traditionalist bulwark. During his tenure, the league didn't even allow manufacturer logos on the on-court jerseys. With him gone, we'll see the manufacturer logo and advertising. I'm sure Nike will develop their own sleeved jerseys since the sleeves are prime ad space.

Put it this way I was in Toronto not long back, not being able to have ice hockey on the tv, there was basketball, baseball and Rick Mercer, I watched him for 10 minutes, found he wasn't funny, and put baseball on.