Newer Jerseys

lafountain

Hi everyone, been out of the jersey game for a little while now but am looking at picking up a few new ones, I have occasionally logged in and handled moderator stuff when I get the email notices, but haven't posted in threads.  Due to having purchased any new jerseys in a bunch of years, not sure on the newer products.  I see Adidas now makes the jerseys, how are their Authentics?  I see the replicas are now Fanatics branded, or are there other replicas that other retailers get now?  

Other than that, looking forward to rejoining in the conversations.

In the terms you probably understand, Adidas does not sell authentic jerseys at retail. The "authentic" jerseys in stores are basically a replica jersey with a cheap fight strap sewn in. They are not the on-ice product. Some of us have obtained the on-ice jerseys via game worn, game/camp issued jerseys and they are very nice (at least in my opinion). 1000 times better than the "authentic" jerseys sold at retail. 

I won't speak to the Fanatics replicas because I've never touched one. I will not touch one. Fanatics is destroying sports retail. Not exactly hiding my feelings there lol. 

12 hours ago, lafountain said:

Hi everyone, been out of the jersey game for a little while now but am looking at picking up a few new ones, I have occasionally logged in and handled moderator stuff when I get the email notices, but haven't posted in threads.  Due to having purchased any new jerseys in a bunch of years, not sure on the newer products.  I see Adidas now makes the jerseys, how are their Authentics?  I see the replicas are now Fanatics branded, or are there other replicas that other retailers get now?  

Other than that, looking forward to rejoining in the conversations.

You were around for the whole Edge 1.0/2.0 era.  Think of the Adidas "IndoZero" authentics (termed this way because the AdiZero authentics are made in Indonesia vs on-ice which are made in Canada) as a Reebok Permier jersey with a fight strap slapped on.

That is the best way to put it.  Quality wise, IndoZero < RBK Premier < RBK Edge 1.0

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info everyone, kind of disappointing that the "authentics" sold online and in stores aren't the same as the on-ice product.  Guess I will have to decide if those are "good enough" for me or not.

Looked at a few other sites and noticed that many said don't order customized from NHL.com as the numbers and letters aren't actually fully sewn on, so best bet is to buy a blank or buy from a retailer like icejerseys or other similar sites to get proper stitching.

5 hours ago, lafountain said:

Looked at a few other sites and noticed that many said don't order customized from NHL.com as the numbers and letters aren't actually fully sewn on, so best bet is to buy a blank or buy from a retailer like icejerseys or other similar sites to get proper stitching.

Yes this is the general consensus.  Their concern is not with picky collectors like ourselves.

If you are going to buy one (a current Adidas authentic that is), wait for either made in Canada listings to pop up on eBay (there have been a few out there for specific teams) or game worn auctions, either through MeiGray, the teams themselves (that is how I got my first MIC Adidas - a Leafs Stadium Series) or through auction houses when they are consigned from other collectors.

The quality difference is quite noticeable from the on-ice product to the retail versions.  Sad how those two have diverged in the last 15 years.....though understandable from an operational perspective if you look at the sports market and more broader, the fashion industry as a whole.

For the right price I’d consider a retail authentic, but count it as a jersey-like apparel piece as opposed to a jersey. It’s not part of the “collection.”

“oh, going out to bar to watch game and eat ketchup popsicles and drippy wings? I’ll wear my lettered Hawks shirt made of jersey material.”

10 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

For the right price I’d consider a retail authentic, but count it as a jersey-like apparel piece as opposed to a jersey. It’s not part of the “collection.”

A "jersey-like apparel piece."  Yep, that's a good way to put it. 

Until last week, my only Adidas Indo had been a Hawks camo.  Material-wise, it was actually pretty good.  Not MiC level, but fine.  Then I picked up a Hawks WC Indo, and I understand know why many have said they won't buy Indos at any price.  Feels flimsy.  Cut is weird.   

Am I going to keep it?  Yeah, I guess.  I just can't stomach the buy-in on an MiC of that jersey.  But I don't like it much.  

The one point in its favor is that they didn't appear to cheap out on the crest.  If it's not the same, it's close enough that I couldn't tell the difference in pictures.  But that's its only positive attribute.  

There has been a tendency for the WC/SS/HC retail indo made jerseys to be a somewhat better build than the everyday ones, at least the ones I've seen.  

The Blues WC Premiere has the same beautiful felt crest, fully sewn down, with the sleeve and bottom stripes actually constructed from separate pieces sewn together, and the same beautiful ribbed collar.  So effectively the same as the 2.0, except for the lighter grade material instead of 2.0 air knit.

Also, the new Stars WC, was made with a similar approach. Real felt logo/letters/patch, all fully sewn, and multi piece construction.

I think the Vancouver Millionaires Premiere also had the same treatment.

Edited by LondonGardens

So best bet is look on eBay for made in Canada authentic Adidas jerseys, fortunately right now the only ones I'd be looking for is the Kings, Canadiens, and Sabres, though in a couple years I'll be looking to get Seattle.  Guess this will take time, but to get the best items, the wait is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 11:24 AM, furiousd said:

A "jersey-like apparel piece."  Yep, that's a good way to put it. 

Until last week, my only Adidas Indo had been a Hawks camo.  Material-wise, it was actually pretty good.  Not MiC level, but fine.  Then I picked up a Hawks WC Indo, and I understand know why many have said they won't buy Indos at any price.  Feels flimsy.  Cut is weird.   

Am I going to keep it?  Yeah, I guess.  I just can't stomach the buy-in on an MiC of that jersey.  But I don't like it much.  

The one point in its favor is that they didn't appear to cheap out on the crest.  If it's not the same, it's close enough that I couldn't tell the difference in pictures.  But that's its only positive attribute.  

Did you pick up the 2019

ive considered the same and was wondering if anyone sells blank alts instead of the WC. I thought I heard only at the UC but maybe I’m wrong. I’d rather have it customized by CSL than Fanatics.

1 hour ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Did you pick up the 2019

ive considered the same and was wondering if anyone sells blank alts instead of the WC. I thought I heard only at the UC but maybe I’m wrong. I’d rather have it customized by CSL than Fanatics.

Yes, I was referring to the 2019 WC.  I haven't looked for the alt version.

3 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Just remove the shoulder patch

On 1/24/2020 at 2:12 PM, mdwsta4 said:

Just remove the shoulder patch

Are they not glued down? Honestly it wouldn’t be worth the time or money for an import if adhesives are involved.

4 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Are they not glued down? Honestly it wouldn’t be worth the time or money for an import if adhesives are involved.

I stripped an Indo just fine. The one I purchased was stitched. Came off easily

DSCF8899-vi.jpg

27 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Good to know. Maybe I’ll try stripping at some point.

Thats what she said.