EBay

Brilliant!

I don't like how eBay works.

Just now I put a bid down on a size 48 Penguins jersey. I was leading at only $10, I was really excited. I have a Lemieux number kit that needs a jersey, and I thought wow I might be able to make an authentic. Then with 1 second to go two bids get in there somehow beating my top bid. I knew I should have made it a little higher but I'm used to people bidding with a couple of minutes to go, not seconds. I think I have heard of people talking about software that does this sneaky bidding for you, it's kind of cheating but I guess if you put the highest amount you would pay then there shouldn't be any complaints.

Anyway I think the major online auction site in New Zealand works in a better way. If anyone makes a bid in the last two minutes the auction end time extends another two minutes. This is good for buyers but it's probably better for the sellers, as bidders will bid against each other in frustration and as a buyer you can quickly rethink your max bid and get another one in there.

So... did someone just pick up a 90's Penguins jersey for $26??? hah

I probably would have gone to $30 but didn't know how much the shipping would cost me.

Oh well.

I was the second highest bidder. I have a Lemieux kit as well so I threw a bid of $25.50 on it but lost. If the crest wasn't auto'd I would have bid a lot more but after the headache I went through with my jets jersey that had an auto on the crest I didn't want to risk the same thing happening again so I bid low.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain. I lost an auction for a Blue Jackets jersey a week or so ago in the last two seconds...or something like that. Definitely stung. Haha.

That is exactly how I lost that red Caps jersey a few weeks ago- thought I had it in the bag until literally the last few seconds. It's cruelty to us honest bidders.

Meanwhile, this one skyrocketed today on the last day - was in the $40 range, ended at $203.50 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180434490806.

That is exactly how I lost that red Caps jersey a few weeks ago- thought I had it in the bag until literally the last few seconds. It's cruelty to us honest bidders.

Meanwhile, this one skyrocketed today on the last day - was in the $40 range, ended at $203.50 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180434490806.

How is bidding in the last few seconds not honest?

How is bidding in the last few seconds not honest?

I guess the software's out there for any of us to use, it's pretty annoying when you get gazumped at the last second though and have no time to react. I like the sound of the site in New Zealand Slime mentions, with the extending finish time.

I guess the software's out there for any of us to use, it's pretty annoying when you get gazumped at the last second though and have no time to react. I like the sound of the site in New Zealand Slime mentions, with the extending finish time.

I don't like that idea at all. If Ebay had a way of getting rid of all the slime ball sellers that shill bid their own items or get their friends to bid on their items then yes I would love to have a system where the auction is extended to allow people to react to a late bid but all that would do now is allow sellers to continously shill bid their own auctions until a price they see fit is reached.

In the end the highest bid still wins so what is dishonest about it?

In the end the highest bid still wins so what is dishonest about it?

Never said it was dishonest, just annoying.

Take your point about the shill bidding though, and yes auto-bidders are a very small issue compared to some of the others ebay has. I'd much prefer to see them tackle the counterfeiters and have a long hard look at their own fee system (10% final value) before they look at that.

Never said it was dishonest, just annoying.

Take your point about the shill bidding though, and yes auto-bidders are a very small issue compared to some of the others ebay has. I'd much prefer to see them tackle the counterfeiters and have a long hard look at their own fee system (10% final value) before they look at that.

I know you didn't say it was dishonest but the other member did so I'm looking for some reasoning.

Does Ebay really charge 10% in final value fees? I haven't sold anything in a while and if this is the case I won't be selling anything anytime soon. That is ridiculous.

Does Ebay really charge 10% in final value fees? I haven't sold anything in a while and if this is the case I won't be selling anything anytime soon. That is ridiculous.

Ebay.co.uk does, I guess it's a company wide policy (not 100% on that). For anything that sells at all (1p and upwards) it's 10%, up to a max of £40 ($65 at todays rates).

Source: Ebay.co.uk Fees Page

Don't know if it's real or a fake knockoff, but I am considering it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSBY-Penguins-Rimous...=item4cec368f1f

Let me know what you guys think, thanks. Also, is this seller legit?

Trust my buddy Dave, his jerseys are legit all the way. In fact, he's my #1 source.

Trust my buddy Dave, his jerseys are legit all the way. In fact, he's my #1 source.

Yeah I've bought a few of his jerseys, they are A+ stuff!

He's very reliable

Gixen.com for free sniping service. For those that say its dishonest, its not. If your max bid is higher than mine, you win, if mine is higher than yours, I win. Very simple concept regardless of the timing of the bid. If you lost a jersey for a dollar, maybe your highest initial bid should have been higher. You take a risk by using a lower bid, as do people using sniper services that our bid will be beaten as well, if you try to snipe and miss, then we have just as little time to change our bid.

Gixen.com for free sniping service. For those that say its dishonest, its not. If your max bid is higher than mine, you win, if mine is higher than yours, I win. Very simple concept regardless of the timing of the bid. If you lost a jersey for a dollar, maybe your highest initial bid should have been higher. You take a risk by using a lower bid, as do people using sniper services that our bid will be beaten as well, if you try to snipe and miss, then we have just as little time to change our bid.

All true points. However, while sniping is possible, it just feels wrong. Maybe "dishonest" was the wrong word choice for those who bid in the last seconds, but it seems more ethical than using an automated sniping program since you'd still have to actually be on the site and typing in a bid or using the 1-click bidding system the same way as someone who had been bidding earlier who then comes back and bids at the end would also be doing. Whether sniping's ethical or not, I agree that it should be on a lower level of concern for Ebay than counterfeiting should be. Part of why Ebay either hasn't or won't deal with sniping and "shill bidding" by sellers/their friends is b/c neither of these practices are actually illegal regardless of whether they're right or wrong morally, and both are advantageous to Ebay - they end up bumping up the price on the items, so then Ebay takes in more- while it's still 10%, I'm sure no one would disagree that it's better to take 10% of $100 than 10% of $10 or 10% of $150 instead of 10% of $100. For people like us, counterfeiting is a much greater concern for Ebay to eliminate.

All true points. However, while sniping is possible, it just feels wrong. Maybe "dishonest" was the wrong word choice for those who bid in the last seconds, but it seems more ethical than using an automated sniping program since you'd still have to actually be on the site and typing in a bid or using the 1-click bidding system the same way as someone who had been bidding earlier who then comes back and bids at the end would also be doing. Whether sniping's ethical or not, I agree that it should be on a lower level of concern for Ebay than counterfeiting should be. Part of why Ebay either hasn't or won't deal with sniping and "shill bidding" by sellers/their friends is b/c neither of these practices are actually illegal regardless of whether they're right or wrong morally, and both are advantageous to Ebay - they end up bumping up the price on the items, so then Ebay takes in more- while it's still 10%, I'm sure no one would disagree that it's better to take 10% of $100 than 10% of $10 or 10% of $150 instead of 10% of $100. For people like us, counterfeiting is a much greater concern for Ebay to eliminate.

Shill bidding is a violation of Ebay rules. If you can prove it ebay will deal with the person that is doing it. I've reported a few people over the years and a lot of times their accounts get suspended because of it.

The seller is legit, but why would you buy an EDGE Rimouski jersey they only started using this season with that customization?

Anyway I think the major online auction site in New Zealand works in a better way. If anyone makes a bid in the last two minutes the auction end time extends another two minutes. This is good for buyers but it's probably better for the sellers, as bidders will bid against each other in frustration and as a buyer you can quickly rethink your max bid and get another one in there.

Wow that's a good idea, works for everybody.

The seller is legit, but why would you buy an EDGE Rimouski jersey they only started using this season with that customization?

Yeah I'd seen that jersey and was doubtful that the Oceanic had used that style when Crosby was on the team.

But just like everything else, to each their own!

I was more or less trying to make sure the seller was legit. I didn't pay attention to the fact it's an "EDGE" jersey. I was looking for Rimouski jerseys. But now that you mention it I will look for the style when #87 played for them.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

I was more or less trying to make sure the seller was legit. I didn't pay attention to the fact it's an "EDGE" jersey. I was looking for Rimouski jerseys. But now that you mention it I will look for the style when #87 played for them.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean it as a jab, but if it really bothered you enough to roll your eyes, then maybe you should have just searched the seller's name here in this forum because it's been a answered a number of times.

Good luck. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280428859665

Just missed this auction, i dont know what the odds of the guy posting exactly one dollar ahead of me with just 7 seconds left but o'well. I would have had to change the C any way because the customization is off.

I bid on that too, it shot up like nuts in the last few seconds

The more I think about the more I hope a sniping service wasn't used. If you won it the old fashioned why, congrats you got a good jersey. Yeah the highest bidder gets the jersey, but it seriously takes the game out of tryig to win because techincally you lost the jersey before you even bid unless you bid an outragous amount. Still if your using a sniping service, you have a very low chance of losing the auction. I don't know, this is the first one I lost and isuspect that a sniper was used. It's crappy feeling.