EBay

Brilliant!

Well I really want the jersey at this point b/c it's a WBS Pens Christmas jersey and I do not have a holiday jersey in my collection yet. I definitely get jealous when I see so many people at the games with them. So I think I'm gonna pull out my sniping tricks come the end of the auction...and then overpay in the process. But you've gotta do what you gotta do!

Yes, sir! If you really want it, then go for it!! That's what I go by. Lately I've been gunning for Mitchell and Ness jerseys and I am pretty much willing to take a stab even if they are at a price higher than I am willing to pay.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see what difference it makes when people make a bid, other than the point Oliver makes that it leaves you open to unscrupulous sellers bidding on their own stuff. I mean, you have the value for an item you'll pay, and someone else has the value they'll pay, what difference does it make if you make your bids in minute 1 or the dying seconds?

Yes, sir! If you really want it, then go for it!! That's what I go by. Lately I've been gunning for Mitchell and Ness jerseys and I am pretty much willing to take a stab even if they are at a price higher than I am willing to pay.

That'd be yes, ma'am to you. Sir.

I kid...but I seriously think I'm gonna go for it...still waiting till the end of the auction though to do any damage.

That'd be yes, ma'am to you. Sir.

I kid...but I seriously think I'm gonna go for it...still waiting till the end of the auction though to do any damage.

If you have a price in mind, you can set up a snipe now with your max. It would be the same as putting your max bid in now, except it gives people less time to correct their ideas of how much they are willing to spend.

gixen.com and do it up. This way it even snipes if you forget and can't be around the computer when the auction ends. It is in no way unethical. If your high bid is lower than your competitor, then they win. Just like in any other auction. Sniping was unethical before the automatic high bid program eBay instituted, but now I think its perfectly legit.

I got into a huge bidding war with someone on a kaspar fisherman yesterday and paid too much for it, but I really wanted it, so I justified it to myself. I normally just put a base bid early in an auction rather than starting an all out war.

I got into a huge bidding war with someone on a kaspar fisherman yesterday and paid too much for it, but I really wanted it, so I justified it to myself. I normally just put a base bid early in an auction rather than starting an all out war.

Sniping is the answer...you put in that same base bid, but at the end in a hope to avoid the bidding war. You don't overspend your means and you can usually the item at a bit less than a long drawn out bidding war.

At first I thought it was real, but I know this is a fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Getzlaf-jers...=item2a0335a1d0

:( Because I am looking for the REAL authentic version.

Is there any way at all to spot someone who is bidding on his own item? Or something among those lines.. :)

It is basically impossible now. Recently eBay has been doing more to hide bidder information - first they anonymized it, and most recently it seems to be gone entirely. This was done to prevent people from contacting users directly to offer them deals outside of eBay or harass them.

Interesting occurrence today- I asked a question about an item today (white Baltimore Skipjacks jersey), the picture shows it as being #33, but they only showed the front and didn't show the collar tag either so I wasn't going to bid most likely, so I asked about the back (as to which #33 it was - showing on the sleeves - and who the manufacturer was - i.e. Maska, CCM, etc.) and I think they answered my questions honestly (they make the jerseys themselves, the 33 has no namebar - their answer, which I got a couple hours later, actually was "these are custom made jerseys by us and they are similar to the CCM style jerseys (airknit)....it only has the number on it, no name, its number 33..."). However, the honesty part wasn't really the strange part. Since there are like no Jacks jerseys anywhere and Kolzig was #33 in 1991-92, I was going to go back and bid on it low to see if I'd win (then have either IJ or EPS do a proper Kolzig namebar and fix the numbering if needed if I did win)... so I go back onto EBay to go to the item in my watched listings and it had ended. So I go to the seller's page- not only had they ended the Skipjacks auction, they ended all the jersey auctions they had going earlier in the day - they had a ton of minor league jersey styles going back to the 1940's for some which were kinda obscure, such as the Washington Lions, and these were supposed to last over a week longer... this seemed kinda odd. They didn't shut down totally, they're still selling a ton of crests, old, obscure media guides, hundreds of team photos, and other random stuff. Here's the item if anyone wants a look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230370811653

It is basically impossible now. Recently eBay has been doing more to hide bidder information - first they anonymized it, and most recently it seems to be gone entirely. This was done to prevent people from contacting users directly to offer them deals outside of eBay or harass them.

The only way I know of to find out anything about an auction you bid on

is to :

go to advanced search

search by bidder

put in your ebay username and checkmark the box "Include completed listings (last 30 days)"

and it will tell the high bidder in most cases....

Fan type jersey they tried to sell after the Cup win for like 50 bucks..sometimes more. Not worth more than 10. Screened on logos and numbers. Kind of junky in my opinion.

If only that Flyers one was the home white. ARGH! That Stars jersey is really nice too. The whites are tough to find for some reason. I almost always see the road blacks over the whites. Those Stars jerseys had that awesome little feature of the Stars logo embroidered on the hemline to the left of the CCM logo. I never really knew why they did that but I love it.

I might bid on a few of those.

anyone know who that seller 'minor league hockey' is? he always has nice authentics that start really cheap and end up going for more than they should, sometimes its a little suspicious...

although it's a replica, here's a Coyotes alt for a really cheap BIN if anyone is looking for one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I might bid on a few of those.

anyone know who that seller 'minor league hockey' is? he always has nice authentics that start really cheap and end up going for more than they should, sometimes its a little suspicious...

although it's a replica, here's a Coyotes alt for a really cheap BIN if anyone is looking for one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I won a size 48 authentic 2000 Red Wings jersey with the patch for $35 plus shipping from him, which is a steal in my book. I have a feeling that he just has a following - you know you will be getting a high quality jersey in great shape - and that is why the auctions end up so high.

I've bought from "minor league hockey" a couple of times and he's legit and a great seller.

Its hit or miss if his auctions go too high - I've personally gotten some good deals from him. Everything I've gotten from him was NWT and shipped promptly. I think he's got some connections picking up closeouts on older styles etc from other retailers or team shops.