When the adidas jerseys release next year

rattlestar

I think the answer is a resounding "probably". I'm guessing Jersey Baron will get a bunch of the left overs, but everyone else will be selling whatever stock they have left over. There will be some deals to be had, like the recent $160 sale at River City Sports. 

Has anyone else here wondered about what will happen with Jersey Baron after Adidas takes over the NHL contract?  He currently has great connections with Reebok, and is able to custom order any 2.0 model he wants, get team-issued patches and jerseys that no one else can seemingly get.  But I don't think he has those connections with Adidas.  He barely got any World Cup jerseys, at least no more than any other dealer, and only in limited sizes.  He couldn't get any sponsor or flag patches for them either.

If Adidas, as is rumored, doesn't sell authentics for retail, is JB going to be able to pull a miracle and somehow get them to produce retail authentics for him?  If not, he will be no different from any other dealer, and will be forced to sell only Fanatics replicas.  I imagine, as some of you may be thinking, that many team-issued Reebok 2.0's may suddenly flood the market, as they will no longer be needed by the teams, but if they are bought up and sold by other dealers at clearance prices, that's going to kill the value of JB's existing Reebok stock, which still must be massive.  If I were JB, I'd be worried about what to do with all of those, and I would think the last thing he would want to do is buy up more 2.0's, even if they are available at a good price.  And even if 2.0's don't come out on clearance, brands that are no longer current seem to just drop in value anyway, at least for the foreseeable future- no one is selling CCM's and Kohos nowadays for close to original retail price, and even JB himself has had to drop prices on many 2.0's that just aren't moving well.   I applaud JB for what he's done for us collectors, and wish him nothing but success in the future, but I have to say I am a little concerned about what may happen to him after the Adidas transition.  Any thoughts?

When I spoke to my guy last, he said that they need to evaluate the business model with adidas before proceeding. I think they have made money, but the challenge is all of the leftover inventory. Last I checked, they have over 7000 listings on eBay. 

I'm sure that there will be plenty of deals to be had with all of the Edges that will flood the market after teams decide they don't want to keep their inventories around, but I am also wondering what JB will do.  Not many legit places to get some of the harder to find 2.0 as it is and if Adidas won't sell Authentics to retail, my jersey habit money may end up funneling to something else like making my VW super awesome...

9 minutes ago, AlereFlammam said:

I think they have made money, but the challenge is all of the leftover inventory. Last I checked, they have over 7000 listings on eBay. 

It blows my mind to think of how much money went into that inventory, even at wholesale prices.

Since adidas sold the World Cup jerseys on the website in Canada I'm hoping they will do the same with the new NHL jerseys.  Being able to buy directly from them and take advantage of sales and promotions they have would be great.

In that case, be prepared to be bugged by a lot of us Americans. :)

47 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Maybe we should invest in a communal post office box in Toronto ?

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Maybe we should invest in a communal post office box in Toronto ?

I can be a portalable post office . Lol !!!!!!!

3 hours ago, LAK74 said:

If that's what happens I'm here for you bud.

I was just joking around with you, but your reply just shows what a cool dude you are.  :thumbsup:

I think I have enough Canadian contacts to get a jersey shipped to in the event that happens. I can't see it happening but I guess anything is possible at this point. 

This might be a bit off topic, but do any of you guys think we may end up seeing different designs for home and road jerseys next year for some teams? I mean, since Adidas is doing away with third sweaters, what if teams like Boston used their current third as their new home, while still using their current road as their white sweater? I personally think that would add some variety to the league's aesthetics. As a Ducks fan, I'd totally be okay with having the Mighty logo for home/road, with the webbed foot being the other. 

1 hour ago, Kincaid521 said:

This might be a bit off topic, but do any of you guys think we may end up seeing different designs for home and road jerseys next year for some teams? I mean, since Adidas is doing away with third sweaters, what if teams like Boston used their current third as their new home, while still using their current road as their white sweater? I personally think that would add some variety to the league's aesthetics. As a Ducks fan, I'd totally be okay with having the Mighty logo for home/road, with the webbed foot being the other. 

I think i'm a bit behind on this third jersey news. Are they doing away with it altogether or just for the first few seasons to get everything settled down? 

Just now, rattlestar said:

I think i'm a bit behind on this third jersey news. Are they doing away with it altogether or just for the first few seasons to get everything settled down? 

I believe it's just supposed to be the first couple seasons. Reebok did the same thing when they switched to the Edge jerseys as well. My concern is that some of the third jerseys look so much better than some of the home designs haha.

1 minute ago, Kincaid521 said:

I believe it's just supposed to be the first couple seasons. Reebok did the same thing when they switched to the Edge jerseys as well. My concern is that some of the third jerseys look so much better than some of the home designs haha.

You ducks fans have been so spoiled with your jersey designs, they are all amazing... with exception to the Anaheim ducks wordmark purple one. haha 

Yeah, Stars fans are going a bit crazy cause they are annoyed we can't have a throwback jersey for our 25th anniversary season. 

7 minutes ago, rattlestar said:

You ducks fans have been so spoiled with your jersey designs, they are all amazing... with exception to the Anaheim ducks wordmark purple one. haha 

Yeah, Stars fans are going a bit crazy cause they are annoyed we can't have a throwback jersey for our 25th anniversary season. 

Haha you really think so?! I mean, they're definitely...Unique? But that wordmark one is definitely a fan favorite! 

And that is definitely a bummer that the Stars are affected by the new Adidas system. 

Even more reason why I hope my idea comes to fruition. Similar to how Minnesota's home and away aren't the same design at all, I think more teams could benefit from that.

From what I understand, Adidas will not be doing third jerseys for next season, but after that it is open and most likely will be restarted again.

I doubt the league and Adidas would leave money on the table by getting rid of the third jersey program altogether.

Many collectors hated RBK and their designs and cuts of jerseys etc. But as a few of you mentioned above if Adidas isn't going to sell Authentic's I would take RBK anyday.

If that is the case I'll invest my money into Fanatics stock lol

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

From what I understand, Adidas will not be doing third jerseys for next season, but after that it is open and most likely will be restarted again.

I doubt the league and Adidas would leave money on the table by getting rid of the third jersey program altogether.

The exact same thing happened with the Edge switch. There were no third jerseys for the 2007-08 season and they came back in the 2008-09 season.

It's Marketing 101...

People will want to buy a new jersey to match the team's new style... don't give them all 3 to choose from right off the bat, cuz then people will only choose one.

But if you debut 2, then most will choose between home and away... then the next year, there's a new jersey again, and people will be more inclined to buy again.

36 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

It's Marketing 101...

People will want to buy a new jersey to match the team's new style... don't give them all 3 to choose from right off the bat, cuz then people will only choose one.

But if you debut 2, then most will choose between home and away... then the next year, there's a new jersey again, and people will be more inclined to buy again.

Yup, they don't account for freaks like us who would instantly need all 3.