Draft jerseys

TheKevinShow

As you're all aware, the jerseys that are given to players at the draft have the players' names on the back.

How do teams prepare for the possibility of not getting the players they want? Do they make a whole bunch of jerseys with the nameplates? Obviously they don't know who the other teams will draft so there's no way they have just one set of jerseys with one for each draft pick. Only the team with the #1 pick is guaranteed to get who they want.

I've seen some instances where they have nameplates with velcro that can be easily swapped, i forget where i saw that though, maybe Columbus did that?

Other than that, the big names are the ones that probably have jerseys waiting to be used in any situation, idk if they do the same for every round

The Caps do it by reaching for players that no professional hockey organizations would ever take that early in the draft.

The Caps do it by reaching for players that no professional hockey organizations would ever take that early in the draft.

Alexander Volchkov

Most teams use velcro namebars and have maybe 50-100 prospects nameplates made up. I owned a couple of the Isles draft jerseys and nameplates of players not drafted by the Isles (Gormley, Skinner, Domi, Horvat, Armia, Ristolainen, Zibanejad, Landeskog to name a few)

Edited by NYIJM29

This is an unused draft jersey from 2006 that I got from the team.

2006%2520Draft%2520Jersey%2520Front.JPG

2006%2520Draft%2520Jersey%2520Back.JPG

This jersey is one that I had made that is close to what the Jackets use now.

2012%2520Draft%2520Day%2520Jersey%2520Fr

2012%2520Draft%2520Day%2520Jersey%2520Ba

Most teams use velcro namebars and have maybe 50-100 prospects nameplates made up. I owned a couple of the Isles draft jerseys and nameplates of players not drafted by the Isles (Gormley, Skinner, Domi, Horvat, Armia, Ristolainen, Zibanejad, Landeskog to name a few)

Don't most teams give out the jerseys with just a number after a point? I find it hard to believe they make up 100 nameplates. Especially if you have, say, the 15th pick in the first round. Automatically you can eliminate like the top 5, no way in hell you get them. So you'd only need like 10 plates max.

Unless they also use name jerseys beyond the first round, but I'm not sure they do. Anyone have info on that?

I for one hope that all 32 teams had a NEJEZCHLEB nameplate made up, you know just in case. :lol:

I for one hope that all 32 teams had a NEJEZCHLEB nameplate made up, you know just in case. :lol:

32 teams?

It varies from team to team.

If a team is picking fairly high, they may have ones actually made up and fully customized for a possible pick. I know that Atlanta Thrashers draft jerseys exist of 00 Klesla, 00 Gaborik, 02 Nash, 03 Suter, and many others.

Generally speaking, a team will allocate two or three jerseys for their top picks. After that, it gets dicey. Some don't use names at all for their later picls, some will have 50-100 made up and velcro them on, and so on.

On my home computer I actually have a spreadsheet made up that has details on every team's draft jerseys going back to 1990. The color used varies within a draft, the number style can vary, and how it goes on can vary.

Don't most teams give out the jerseys with just a number after a point? I find it hard to believe they make up 100 nameplates. Especially if you have, say, the 15th pick in the first round. Automatically you can eliminate like the top 5, no way in hell you get them. So you'd only need like 10 plates max.

Unless they also use name jerseys beyond the first round, but I'm not sure they do. Anyone have info on that?

They stop after 50-100 lol. Some teams have names for the first 2-3 rounds. After that, they get jerseys with just the number on it. The Islanders gave John Tavares a jersey with a stitched name. They also had a decoy Duchene jersey made up

Edited by NYIJM29

They stop after 50-100 lol. Some teams have names for the first 2-3 rounds. After that, they get jerseys with just the number on it. The Islanders gave John Tavares a jersey with a stitched name. They also had a decoy Duchene jersey made up

If they didn't pick tavares the isles would of left for brooklyn early because the coliseum would of been burned to the ground.

Maybe they should just do a few sets of velcro letters and they could just make up the names as they need to.

They could just bring the dude from the NHL store backstage with his heat press machine and he could make them up as they decide :)

They could just bring the dude from the NHL store backstage with his heat press machine and he could make them up as they decide :)

Nhlstore.com, for all your one-stop authentic customization needs. :P

NFL basically already does this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/sports/football/personalizing-jerseys-of-top-nfl-picks-is-a-race-against-the-clock.html?_r=0