How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Weren’t they also one of the only teams to order MIC’s for sale to fans?

They’ve never sold Adidas MIC’s to fans.....

Although I did convince them to sell me the new Alternate Heritage and a new home jersey back before this season started. Again, as Van67 said, they charged me $500 CDN for them 

Edited by KB67

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I think the Canucks sold off their Chinese New Year warm up ones that were MIC. Again, could be wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Actually I think the Canucks sold off their Chinese New Year warm up ones that were MIC. Again, could be wrong. 

They just auctioned them off, like every other team does with their warm up jerseys, and then sold the ones that didn’t get won at auction, which was quite a few of them due to the ridiculous pricing they attached to them, and sold the leftover ones in the Team Store afterwards.

3 hours ago, KB67 said:

And what was the process for you when using this Fight Back? Spray it on the adhesive, and let it soak in and sit for how long? Then just scrub with a cloth or something?

Yeah, pretty much.  I put a folded up white towel on the inside of the jersey, spray, let sit for a minute or so and scrub with another white cloth.

37 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Not gonna lie, the fact that they do that for $500 is pretty awesome. I wish the Leafs did that too. 

For their specialty one off jerseys sure but $500 for a regular home/road is tough.

3 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Yeah, pretty much.  I put a folded up white towel on the inside of the jersey, spray, let sit for a minute or so and scrub with another white cloth.

Would you go straight to the Graffiti remover, or start with the Acetone, then go to the Goof Off, then finally the Graffiti Remover?

4 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

For their specialty one off jerseys sure but $500 for a regular home/road is tough.

Yeah, at first I though it was steep, and to me is just the cost of doing what i do, because I won’t buy the Indo’s. I personally don’t place any value in a jersey being game worn over just a Team Issued, and after seeing what the team is getting on auction for the Game Worn ones, I’m extremely happy to have the same jersey at a fraction of the cost.

1 minute ago, Van67 said:

If the team would sell me a MIC skate jersey, with the patch, for $500 blank, I would pull the trigger. I have a feeling my email address is blacklisted by now though lol. 

They didn’t have enough Skate jerseys to let any extras go. When i got my home and the Heritage, the Skate was the first choice, but they told me they just couldn’t do it, because the schedule hadn’t been finalized as to how many they would need, which I think actually didn’t turn out to be just some büllshît excuse, because they did end up adding a game with the Skate jersey to the schedule after the original schedule had come out, so they then let me choose two to take, so I took the home and the Heritage.

Just now, KB67 said:

They didn’t have enough Skate jerseys to let any extras go. When i got my home and the Heritage, the Skate was the first choice, but they told me they just couldn’t do it, because the schedule hadn’t been finalized as to how many they would need, which I think actually didn’t turn out to be just some büllshît excuse, because they did end up adding a game with the Skate jersey to the schedule after the original schedule had come out, so they then let me choose two to take, so I took the home and the Heritage.

I don't think that's BS either. I'm hoping that by the end of the season, they'll have some 58's available. It seems like most players wear 56. Too bad the Canucks don't put sizes on their game worn auctions. No idea who wears what if I was going to try for a game worn.

41 minutes ago, Van67 said:

I don't think that's BS either. I'm hoping that by the end of the season, they'll have some 58's available. It seems like most players wear 56. Too bad the Canucks don't put sizes on their game worn auctions. No idea who wears what if I was going to try for a game worn.

They do sometimes put the sizes on the listing letters on VanBase, but off the top of my head, the only guys that wear a 58 are Myers, Edler, and Graovac.

Edited by KB67

55 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Yeah fair. Specialitys no doubt.

Even grabbing one home or away would be cool since the pre season games are $550 anyways. 

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

On non-white jerseys, I’ve never had an instance they couldn’t remove all of the residue. 

On white ones, I’ve had some come back with traces.

So, I got two replies from EPS this morning, one from Lynette saying they wouldn’t touch it, and the other from Josh saying they could get it clean, and it would be $25 to get it clean enough to put a two-digit number on it, or $45 if I needed it cleaned up well enough to put on just a single digit number. The other piece of info he gave me was that I could clean it myself and it should come clean if I used “Odourless Mineral Spirits” and scrubbed it with a white cotton cloth. I replied and asked if that was the same as using Acetone, and he replied with “he would never use Acetone, Acetone is way too harsh”. Does anyone have any experience with odourless mineral spirits over Acetone? I read up on it, and from what I gather, Odourless Mineral Spirits is oil based, while Acetone is water based, and that the mineral spirits may leave behind some staining, similar to how Goo Gone can leave behind a stain compared to Goof Off, which does not?

We use mineral spirits in my profession as a stripper of adhesive and a cleaner as well. I've noticed that any time the spirits is used with a white rag, the rag turns yellow. Even before cleaning. I wouldn't use mineral spirits on any jersey other than a Flyers one.

11 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

We use mineral spirits in my profession as a stripper of adhesive and a cleaner as well. I've noticed that any time the spirits is used with a white rag, the rag turns yellow. Even before cleaning. I wouldn't use mineral spirits on any jersey other than a Flyers one.

Weird that Josh would say they have success with it then.....

On 12/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, KB67 said:

Hey guys, I have stripped somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 jerseys, and usually the easiest ones were the Canucks MIC Adidas ones with the single layer twill Numbers. I am working on two current ones right now, an MIC Military Jersey and an MIC Skate Jersey. Both of them have an obscene amount of adhesive/residue when I pulled off the numbers.  I have tried some Acetone, and the adhesive didn’t budge, and then I tried Goof Off, with similar results. Anyone have any further tips for me, or should i cut my losses and just out back on the same number that i removes?

Stripping the MIC’s

Stripping the MIC’s

These Canucks ones used to be so easy. It’s like they’ve changed the way they apply the numbers or at least started using numbers that have a ton more adhesive to them.

I just decided to go for it, and tackled the Skate Jersey, and opted not to send it away to Mongo’s or EPS. I’m glad I decided to give it a try. It was a great learning experience, and I think it turned out pretty good. Here’s a few pictures:

Canucks MIC Adidas Strip

Canucks MIC Adidas Strip

Canucks MIC Adidas Strip

Edited by KB67

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, what method(s) did you use? It looks like it came out great. 

A combination of Goof Off, a hand held steamer, Acetone, and Oxi-Clean Bath, a run through the washing machine, did this a few times until I was content with the results. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:07 PM, TMLFAN said:

I wasn’t able to get to an Acklands Grainger store to get the fight back, so I picked up the one from Home Depot call Krud Cutter Graffiti Remover. Was the fight back and aerosol or just a normal spray? This one is just a normal spray like the Goof Off. Have you ever tried this one? Did you experience any colour bleeding with the product? 

I only have a small amount of residue left I haven’t been able to get out, and don’t want to risk damaging the jersey over such a small amount of residue. Here is what I have remaining, do you think the graffiti remover would do the trick?

Canucks Skate MIC Strip

Canucks Skate MIC Strip

Canucks Skate MIC Strip

Edited by KB67

If what you've been doing hasn't caused any bleeding I would continue that route until you are satisfied. 
Maybe it's just the pics but it looks like it is all about gone. 

Last step I would do is hit it with an iron with TONS of steam. 
I've had luck doing that, it seems to melt the rest into the fabric and you don't see it. (I haven't tried this method on Adidas black fabric so maybe best to keep at it as you've been doing)  

13 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

If what you've been doing hasn't caused any bleeding I would continue that route until you are satisfied. 
Maybe it's just the pics but it looks like it is all about gone. 

Last step I would do is hit it with an iron with TONS of steam. 
I've had luck doing that, it seems to melt the rest into the fabric and you don't see it. (I haven't tried this method on Adidas black fabric so maybe best to keep at it as you've been doing)  

How high of a temp on the iron would you use? I’ve ironed before and ended up with some scorch marks on the jersey, so I’m Leary about using an iron....

8 minutes ago, KB67 said:

How high of a temp on the iron would you use? I’ve ironed before and ended up with some scorch marks on the jersey, so I’m Leary about using an iron....

My iron has a "cotton" setting on it

I typically wet the fabric, get lots of steam going and run it over a few times. (Never let it sit) 
To be extra careful, lay a t-shirt over the area 

Slow and steady - Regret is a wicked B*tch 

Edited by Hockey Bob

1 minute ago, Hockey Bob said:

My iron has a "cotton" setting on it

I typically wet the fabric, get lots of steam going and run it over a few times. (Never let it sit) 
To be extra careful, lay a t-shirt over the area 

Slow and steady - Regret is a wicked B*tch 

Alright, I’ll give it a try later. Have it sitting in an Oxi Bath right now. Not sure if an oxi bath with help with that residue, but I guess it can’t hurt