Ebay 2.0

JeffB

Fedex, Purolator, DHL, UPS, etc, charge 'brokerage fees' on top of duties and taxes.

I bought a pair of shoes for $18, and got dinged $20 for brokerage fees alone, and then whatever extra for taxes (minimal amound on $18, but whatevs). So I called UPS to ask what the deal was, and was told "It's for processing - we have staff at airports and borders who have to input the information and process the package", to which I replied "what information do they have to input? It's done at the time of shipping, isn't it? They simply scan the barcode and all the info is there on their scanners/computers, right? So what exactly are they doing to 'process' the item? Look, I'm not paying $20 extra for a pair of shoes that I paid less than $20 for. You can send it back if you want."

After that the guy said he'd waive the fees, but that I should be aware next time.

Canadapost and USPS can charge taxes if they decide to, depending on price and the type of transaction, but generally speaking, they won't as long as

a) the shipper marks the item as a gift

and

b ) the claimed price isn't overly high.

Either way, it's always a lot less than the other guys - unlike the private sector, the federal folks don't charge brokerage fees.

If ever you're going to buy anything on ebay and shipping isn't clearly indicated, always message the seller first to confirm the service, and that they will ship as a gift. There are MANY ebay businesses who deal in volume, so they get a business discount (and can't mark the item as a gift), and they'll also already have accounts set up with UPS (or other), and won't use any other shipping method. Buyer beware.

As far as I know Purolator doesn't charge brokerage fees. I've shipped many things to the USA by Purolator and haven't heard of anyone getting 'dinged' with brokerage. Almost all the items shipped were valued at well under $100 so I can't say for sure. I know the items shipped by Purolator usually get delivered in the U.S. by UPS after they are over the border and cleared by customs (items are still tracked at Purolator's website through their trip). Not sure of items going via Purolator from the U.S. to Canada because Purolator is almost non-existent in the states.

but +1 for UPS being evil and USPS being the way to go on getting items from the U.S.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone familiar with locker room sports? I am considering buying an authentic edge

Link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RYAN-KESLER-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-CUP-50-EDGE-JERSEY-2011-/270912268780?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3f13a129ec

It looks legit and I'm ordering a blank one (not pictured). I will ask for pics of the blank one of course too.

I would hope he charges a bit less for a blank jersey.

Why do you think that

He had a few Away Center Ice Penguins Mario Lemieux jerseys and the inside tags did not look right. They looked like those tags of the fake BURE jerseys.

He had a few Away Center Ice Penguins Mario Lemieux jerseys and the inside tags did not look right. They looked like those tags of the fake BURE jerseys.

what about the 91-92 PITTSBURGH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Home-Edge-Black-Jersey-52-Reebok-New-With-Tags-/200715163965?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item2ebb8e593d

So who hooked up this guy?

Looks like he's flipping everything someone sent him from svp.

You can see the white price tag sticker on the tags.

looks like all the styles i saw .

thrashers 3rds. Dallas white. it's the same size as the svp stickers and on the same spot.

Thrashers thirds were the $65 Windy City sale

He had those up for a while. I definitely seen those listed before the SVP sale

Edit: Go through the history http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=muymighty8&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

Also, what difference does it make if he flips the stuff or someone who went to the store flips the jerseys?

=

but the highest bidder has 936 feedback ?

This is by far my favourite style Canada jersey

I have three of these, and almost added a fourth to my collection a couple of months ago

Wow.....

My link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Authentic-Andy-Moog-1990-Boston-Bruins-Jersey-CCM-54-Mint-Sewn-/150777643200?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item231b0c40c0

Whats up with this one? Is it that valuable or is there a case of shill bidding going on there? Im not positive how shill bidding works but i see there is a guy with only 1 feedback who kept jacking the price up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Authentic-Andy-Moog-1990-Boston-Bruins-Jersey-CCM-54-Mint-Sewn-/150777643200?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item231b0c40c0

Whats up with this one? Is it that valuable or is there a case of shill bidding going on there? Im not positive how shill bidding works but i see there is a guy with only 1 feedback who kept jacking the price up.

The only reason it seems like it's legit to me is because the guy has 10 other jerseys listed, all ending at roughly the same time, and only one of them is over $100.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231b0c40c0

I didn't expect it to go as high as it is, but the customization (while not 100%) isn't too far off -

2773739840105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

2594767720105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

The cup patch is a replica as well, but I'm sure a lot of folks wouldn't recognize or check to confirm...they'll just assume it's good.

Does this Whalers look fishy to any of you? ...ouch!

Aside from the customization being off, I compared it to a bunch of photos and gamers, and noticed that the whale tale seems a bit too far seperated from the W, and I don't see any stitching for the double elbows. The same seller has a gamer here where you can clearly see the white stitching running through the arms.

Pricey, but rare and cool nonetheless -

Blackhawks TBTC

$500 is a bit to much maybe $300-$350

Does this Whalers look fishy to any of you? ...ouch!

Aside from the customization being off, I compared it to a bunch of photos and gamers, and noticed that the whale tale seems a bit too far seperated from the W, and I don't see any stitching for the double elbows. The same seller has a gamer here where you can clearly see the white stitching running through the arms.

Yeah I looked into this a while back, no Whalers jersey has rear hem CCM logos like that either if I recall correctly. They had the NHL sheild.

Even that's too much these days :(

I agree. Some TBTC are going for around $100 or slightly more. I bought a Leafs one for $120 a few months back. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a Blackhawks one.

where!?!?! ill buy them all! :)