DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

So someone stripped off a tag of a GI and tried to pass it off as a Gabby gamer. Ohhhh the attempted scams.

The Meigray tag was not stripped off. The jersey is a 2009-10 GI issued to a different player, and the lettering was stripped off and recustomized as a 2010-11 Gaborik. The seller lists it only as an authentic, says there's no documentation and that it is not game-issued for Gaborik. He does not claim it's a gameworn Gaborik.

Edited by LAK74

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He seller does list under Seller Notes:

New York Rangers authentic Jersey with 85TH anniversary Patch.Worn During The 2010–11 New York Rangers season

That's deceptive and just the fact that he/she re-customized it with Gaborik and wasn't up-front that it was indeed re-customized is deceptive as well IMO.

The seller's punctuation and grammar are quite poor. He may have been referring to the patch as worn during the 2010-11 season and just put a period after the word patch, which does change the perceived meaning, even if he did not realize that. In any case, if he was trying to be deceptive, why describe the jersey many times as simply "authentic" and not as "game worn Gaborik?" And as I mentioned before, the seller does state that it is not a game-issued Gaborik. Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of gameworn jerseys could figure out what happened here.

Edited by LAK74

Looking at the seller's other recently sold listings where he/she is selling genuine GW jerseys with Meigray paperwork, the spelling and grammar seems to be no issue in those but in the Gaborik listing it's a complete mess. If those are clear but the Gaborik is a bit confusing then that leads me to believe the weird wording was done on purpose. His or her intended target was not people who are even the slightest bit knowledgeable with GW's, but the massive "knockoffs are close enough" crowd.

Final bid tells the whole story. Nobody got scammed besides the seller. I'm willing to bet $139.50 that the seller put $200 into the shirt, if not more, assuming he paid retail on the GI and lettering from Arena Wear.

Absolutely. Someone got a pretty good deal on a real, team-issued 2.0 customized with a popular player. Kind of makes you laugh when there are people paying close to $200 for a customized Premier.

What's funny is the people who try to justify buying p.o.s. fakes because the prices of official stuff is too high. Could have this for the cost of two crappy fakes.

My favorite part with the knockoff defenders is that they rarely use the term knockoff to describe them. Instead they like to call them "wholesale" jerseys. I guess whatever makes them feel better about themselves.

I'm not defending knockoffs here, I own one and that was because I knew no better. However if people can't afford or aren't willing to spend money on the real thing, who cares tbh. It doesn't harm me or you. Can you actually justify Reebok selling a jersey made for £10 and selling for £120.

It actually does harm others. The supply and demand of a counterfeit product increases unethical behavior and deplorable work standards as plant owners use horrendous conditions and poor to no wages for laborers to mass produce these things. The problem isnt the guy who cant afford a real jersey so he settles for a fake one. The problem is impact made on other parts of the world when people try buy these things for $10 and resell them for profit. All these guys who export fakes from china, indonesia or wherever it is are making money even when they sell these for $10 US. So think about what they are "paying" to get these made. $5 a day per person?

The problem I have is the people that CAN afford an officially licensed product but buy a fake and try to justify it by saying it's just as good as the real thing or "I can't tell the difference".

Honestly, you can spend $70 on a fake but you can't spend $125 - $300 on something that is licensed. Give me a break.

It's really telling when I go to a game (and am lucky enough to have a friend with seats down low) and see all these people down by the glass with the most hideous abominations ever conceived

It's sad

Ethical reasons aside, the problem with knock offs is that they make the fan that is wearing them look like an ignorant tool.

The entire point of a hockey jersey is to show support for your team. When you buy a knock off, you're not only deliberately hurting your team, but by wearing the jersey, you're also advertising your willingness to rip off your favourite team. It's especially funny when Senators fans buy knock offs, and then have the nerve to complain about the team owner being unwilling to spend to the cap.

If you can't afford a jersey and want to "rep" your team, buy a hat or a t-shirt. You can find both for as low as 5-10 bucks at the end of the season.

If you're not a fan of a team, and you just wear jerseys as a fashion choice (let's pretend it's still 1999), then I can understand (ethical reasons aside) buying knock offs (even know they look awful.....but that's not the point).

If you post on any non-jersey specific hockey forums, I find that the wearing of knock offs is very normalized. Stating that knock offs look bad, or claiming that wearing one is ignorant usually results in the person being labelled a jersey snob. The justification is usually that the fans buying the knock offs are victims of high prices and that the NHL has a monopoly on their intellectual property.....

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

The jersey knockoff's are here to stay unfortunately. You should see the Wells Fargo center for flyers home games 90% are edge fakes 10% are old ccm 90s jerseys

The jersey knockoff's are here to stay unfortunately. You should see the Wells Fargo center for flyers home games 90% are edge fakes 10% are old ccm 90s jerseys

I feel bad for the few people who were unknowingly duped into buying knock offs. But the NHL should really start a campaign shaming owners of knock off jerseys for hurting their supposedly beloved teams.

If they aren't proactive, replica jersey sales will eventually be almost non existent.

People will always go the cheaper alternative. Knockoffs are here to stay as long as the prices for legit officially licensed jerseys continue to be through the roof.

People will always go the cheaper alternative. Knockoffs are here to stay as long as the prices for legit officially licensed jerseys continue to be through the roof.

I agree to an extent, but the problem is that the NHL can make more off of a smaller base of people by keeping prices high.

Even so, there is competition among retailers, and because of that, prices have gone down significantly. You can get fully customized jerseys half the time for 120-140 due to the amount of sales that go on. It's just not possible to compete with fully customized "ON ICE LOOK AT THE FIGHT STRAP" style jerseys for $50 alone, or $30 if you buy a dozen....

The NHL needs to work on marketing to change the image of jerseys, and what it means to have one as a fan. If hockey fans are silly enough to buy into bs about touching the cup, and getting upset at reporters walking on the team's logo in the locker room, they are silly enough to be convinced that they should buy the $150 jersey because it'll make them a real fan, and it'll help stop their team from losing.......of course those two things aren't true, but I guess that's marketing.

I'm guessing fully customized replicas would have to be in the $50-$80 range to eradicate counterfeit jerseys. If that's not viable, the NHL needs to figure out a way to convince people that they want to pay 130-230 for a full customized replica jersey.

Absolutely. Someone got a pretty good deal on a real, team-issued 2.0 customized with a popular player. Kind of makes you laugh when there are people paying close to $200 for a customized Premier.

I think I did get a pretty good deal.

I would be willing to trade it straight up for something else that ends in about a day on eBay, if anyone's interested...

I agree to an extent, but the problem is that the NHL can make more off of a smaller base of people by keeping prices high.

Even so, there is competition among retailers, and because of that, prices have gone down significantly. You can get fully customized jerseys half the time for 120-140 due to the amount of sales that go on. It's just not possible to compete with fully customized "ON ICE LOOK AT THE FIGHT STRAP" style jerseys for $50 alone, or $30 if you buy a dozen....

The NHL needs to work on marketing to change the image of jerseys, and what it means to have one as a fan. If hockey fans are silly enough to buy into bs about touching the cup, and getting upset at reporters walking on the team's logo in the locker room, they are silly enough to be convinced that they should buy the $150 jersey because it'll make them a real fan, and it'll help stop their team from losing.......of course those two things aren't true, but I guess that's marketing.

I'm guessing fully customized replicas would have to be in the $50-$80 range to eradicate counterfeit jerseys. If that's not viable, the NHL needs to figure out a way to convince people that they want to pay 130-230 for a full customized replica jersey.

The issues begin and end with Reebok. They already had an image problem by not being called CCM, but then compounded that by switching shoulder patches on replicas to screened twill in 2007. Then to keep digging, they started producing customizations that have the same type of garbage twill on them and selling them via NHL.com. The average person looking for a jersey is perfectly willing to drop $150-200 on a customized jersey, but not when the colors are off and the whole thing looks and feels cheaply-made.

It was said that Henry Ford was excellent at getting people to buy their first car from him, but awful at getting people to buy their second car from him as well. People won't pay twice for a crap product, especially if there's a competitor (legal or not) offering something cheap. I can guarantee you that if NHL.com was selling nicely-customized jerseys for $150-195, the bootleg problem would start to go away. It wouldn't be eradicated, but there'd be a big dent made.

The issues begin and end with Reebok. They already had an image problem by not being called CCM, but then compounded that by switching shoulder patches on replicas to screened twill in 2007. Then to keep digging, they started producing customizations that have the same type of garbage twill on them and selling them via NHL.com. The average person looking for a jersey is perfectly willing to drop $150-200 on a customized jersey, but not when the colors are off and the whole thing looks and feels cheaply-made.

It was said that Henry Ford was excellent at getting people to buy their first car from him, but awful at getting people to buy their second car from him as well. People won't pay twice for a crap product, especially if there's a competitor (legal or not) offering something cheap. I can guarantee you that if NHL.com was selling nicely-customized jerseys for $150-195, the bootleg problem would start to go away. It wouldn't be eradicated, but there'd be a big dent made.

I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree that Reebok has done a terrible job with jerseys.

I also agree that the lack quality has hurt sales.

I disagree about the lack of quality being an issue when it comes to stopping people from buying counterfeit jerseys. Even if you could walk into any NHL team store or sporting goods store and grab an Edge 2.0 quality jersey for the same price that Premiers currently go for, a majority of people would still choose to buy counterfeits. Culturally among fans, all that currently matters is having the jersey they want at the cheapest price. The NHL will never be able to compete with counterfeit prices. Because of that, the NHL and Reebok need to work to raise the value of officially licensed products in fans eyes as well as re-educate, market, and manipulate fans into believing that fake jersey=poser/fake fan, and that having a legitimate team jersey is part of the experience.

Granted, I personally don't think being a true fan has anything to do with needing to own jerseys......but it's how I think it should be marketed if they want to tackle the counterfeit issue head on.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to refer to an older post, but is the [seller] inthegameapparel on the bay legit? Prices for the jersey seem to good to be true for me, although Edge 1.0. It also occurs to me that prices of Edge 1's still differ in general. Those are actually two questions. ?Thanks.

As long as the jerseys being sold are the ones depicted in the photos, they're legit.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good deal on a TI Leafs 1.0:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221543192162?