customization laugher

trueblue2735

Oh god, those Hawks jerseys. I think I just threw up a little.....no, make that A LOT. Perfect examples of what to avoid when looking for jerseys.

forgive my innocence and lack of knowledge, but what about them stands out as "these are definitely fake"? thanks in advance. I'm still training my eyes to spot fakes. :(

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgive my innocence and lack of knowledge, but what about them stands out as "these are definitely fake"? thanks in advance. I'm still training my eyes to spot fakes. :(

No problem. :) No one is born a jersey expert, and this is where I ended up not too long ago when I was looking to purchase my first genuine hockey jersey. I quickly turned into a total jersey nut and have already dedicated one side of a closet to my growing collection. Its not full yet, but I know it will end up that way someday the way I'm going....lol. Anyway, there’s always a lot more to learn and I can only really speak on Blackhawks jerseys. Here's my take on what they're selling on that site.

Although it doesn’t state it explicitly, they are trying to pass these off as genuine RBK Edge jerseys (authentic). An Rbk Premier (replica) jersey would have the Rbk vector logo on the left sleeve, a jock tag on the lower left front hem, a different neck tag, and the body cut is closer to the old Rbk 6100 style jersey.

The cut of the body on the fakes being sold is actually more like the replica style. The Rbk Edge jersey has a very rounded and full shirttail hem and a tapered fit across the chest.

For the Hawks jerseys:

The fakes have each different color stripe sewn on the hem separately. The stripes should all be dyed on one piece which is sewn to the body. The shirttail hem is then sewn to the bottom of the striped section. I also noticed that the Rbk vector logo on the neck is incorrect. The logo on a genuine Edge is embroidered onto a patch which is then sewn to the jersey. The fake's logo is poorly embroidered directly on the jersey.

The Indian Head crest and shoulder crests are usually a dead giveaway for fake Edge jerseys if a clear enough picture is provided. Genuine Edge crests are made with distinctive chain stitch embroidery on a specific type of material. The fakes here use a different embroidery on some sort of slightly puffy looking cloth, colors are off, and most of the details are wrong, especially on the Indian Head (shapes of the facial features, war paint, and other details on the feathers).

The crests on genuine Rbk Premier jerseys are made of different materials but have the same accurate details as the Edges. An Rbk Premier has different embroidery/appliqué for the Indian Head and cheap looking screen printed shoulder patches. Only the shoulder crests are sewn on.

The fake Winter Classic jersey also has the body cut and crest issues, although the crest on a genuine WC Edge jersey is actually a very smooth and tight embroidery on cream color felt. The fake WC crests here are off color and poorly embroidered on the same puffy material they used for the other jersey crests. In addition, the parts of the jersey that are supposed to be cream colored are white, the lace holes should be black, the neck string is too long and it shouldn’t cover the NHL logo when laced.

The lettering and numbering on a jersey can also be an important clue. The fakes here use inaccurate fonts and materials. However, there are legitimate jerseys out there that have been customized poorly. Bad customization is a very likely indicator, but not a 100% guarantee that something is fake.

One last thing that might clue you in when browsing. Check out their contact and how to buy pages. This stuff is from China, and their instructions on how to buy are whacked. Step #9 "Receive the shoes to tell us behind." :huh: WTF?

Hope this helps you to weed out the fakes a bit more easily. Well, fake Hawks jerseys anyway.

Adding on to what Bear said, there are a couple small things that you can look for that will help you spot a fake quick.

First for me is always price. The MSRP on a RBK Edge jersey is $299 for a blank - granted many sites now offer them for between $200 to $250 - so if you see a jersey that claims to be an authentic Edge on eBay with a Buy-It-Now price of under $60 and they guy has tons to sell in various sizes, then it's probably a fake.

Secondly, always look at the sizes offered - they don't make a RBK Edge authentic jersey in size 48. But for whatever reason, all the knockoff Edge sellers offer this size.

If those two things don't tip you off, normally the horrible quality and materials of the crest and the lettering are tip offs.

Some unique customizations can be clever, but some fall flat and others are just weird. I vote that's waaaaaaaay stupid.

Although this is only a replica, it still makes me sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290314089783

I've been trying to find one of those white 2000/2001 All-Star jerseys forever.

Although this is only a replica, it still makes me sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290314089783

I've been trying to find one of those white 2000/2001 All-Star jerseys forever.

Geez. The sad part about that one is I had been looking for that USA patch loose for ages and he goes and does that with one. <_<

Some of these are hilarious!

I also saw a girl at a game in Anaheim wearing a All-Star "Miley Fan Number 1"

Brutal

crosby+flames.jpgThis is pretty awful as well....

This one is awful...

Sidney Crosby Calgary Flames Jersey?

I've seen this guy at wearing this at Flames games as well.

One of my favorites

Some of these are hilarious!

I also saw a girl at a game in Anaheim wearing a All-Star "Miley Fan Number 1"

Brutal

I don't know which is worse, the jersey fouls or the inane stammering of those clueless idiots on the audio of the clip.

I don't know which is worse, the jersey fouls or the inane stammering of those clueless idiots on the audio of the clip.

I'd say the guy who thought Crosby wore 21 was bad....but the Bob Errey one and the Malsby one were awful

what a waste

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Quebec-Nordiques...93%3A1|294%3A50

still salvageable though I guess

haha Jacques Cloutier