EBay

Brilliant!

You may remember this winner of a post:

Can anyone tell me what year this would have been the Whalers jersey? It's advertised as an authentic size 56, but I can't seem to pin the arm stripes down to one year to know for sure...plus it seems like the nhl shield by the CCM patch bottom right is absent, no?

f8521sblkg0.jpg

dd4f1sblwe5.jpg

faa81sblqh3.jpg

So I'm still searching ebay for a real Whalers, and this gem showed up AGAIN!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AUTHENTIC-HARTFORD...1QQcmdZViewItem

Since this is the second time he's cluttered up the listings calling what's obviously a (poor attempt) at a produced authentic, I politely mentioned to him that he not advertise what's not even close to authentic as such. At least this time other manufacturers tags aren't cut out (see above). This close to Christmas, it seems unfair to pawn something like that off on someone who doesn't know better and wants to get a true authentic as a gift (like my girlfriend is in the market to, how I first found this one)...I asked him what year this style would be "authentic" for, here's what I got back.

"Obviously it's not an game jersey - more than likely a prototype (lots of proto's were done in the 80's) or practice jersey. Not exactly sure on the year but it has to be before 1989 as that's when the NHL started putting the shield on the back beside the "CCM".

Thanks"

So he's not sure of the year, surprise. Undeterred, again I mentioned that if it's not what the team wore at any time during their tenure, what does he mean by "authentic"? If it wasn't worn by the players what makes it authentic? Why not label it "practice jersey" or "prototype" if that's what it is? (Other than the fact that it won't sell for 250 bucks? <_< Quite a friendly response I got:

"We don't need a lesson in terms used for hockey jerseys.

The word "Authentic" has nothing to do with whether the jersey is worn on the ice by a team...."Authentic" hockey jerseys have fight straps and everything else associated with the Pro models (could be blank with no team cresting and it's still called an Authentic jersey). Whether it's a practice or prototype is irrelevant....nothing deceptive about that.

Don't bother responding - we're done wasting our time."

So it's settled! "Authentic" is a shorter way of writing "has a fight strap". Not authentic colors, not correct design. Just fight strap. Put a fight strap on your Red Wings t-shirt? You've got an authentic! Hell, I taped one to my vehicle, now I really have an "AUTHENTIC OMG NWT!!!111 A++++" Jeep! But I digress...

I wouldn't have pointed this out to you guys if the guy had just been honest, but to insist such an obvious fabrication is anything resembling authentic makes me really mad. Venting to y'all makes me feel better. Am I wrong on this?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an NHL All Star replica with a fight strap and sold it as such. Does this mean, I could have sold it for a much higher price if I said it was an Authentic?

:rolleyes:

YEAH, RIGHT!!!!

The worst part is, at least your replica (which I'm sure you advertised as such) looked similar to what they wore on the ice. This thing in no way resembles anything Whalers, and isn't even a replica. It bothers me someone is paying 200 thinking they're getting something real, when they're really getting something inferior to a replica. I'm sure if he said "this is a jersey with a fight strap and reinforced stitching which I put the whalers crest on", it wouldn't be selling for 200 plus. It would however, be honest.

The worst part is, at least your replica (which I'm sure you advertised as such) looked similar to what they wore on the ice. This thing in no way resembles anything Whalers, and isn't even a replica. It bothers me someone is paying 200 thinking they're getting something real, when they're really getting something inferior to a replica. I'm sure if he said "this is a jersey with a fight strap and reinforced stitching which I put the whalers crest on", it wouldn't be selling for 200 plus. It would however, be honest.

I agree. It always depends on how you advertise, even if he'd write a complete lie, there's alsways a bunch who believes. He´s probably trying to get 14 year old newbies attention. Real collectors probably would just have a look at the pics.

That sort of happened to me a while back. I was selling my Nords Forsberg jersey and I basically listed it as having 'authentic qualities'. Well, the guy who bought it not only didn't ask me any questions about the jersey but after receiving it, he INSISTED on getting his money back because it wasn't an Ultrafil jersey. Unfortunately for me, I didn't list anything about all sales being final and he basically whined enough about it that I just gave him his money back. The guy actually had the nerve to threaten to come to my house and ask for his money back. I really should've just let him and then spring the cops on him when he showed up.

At least if you know what you are looking for you can tell from the picture that it isn't an authentic. Better than being scammed into buying a replica listed as an authentic, because they look the same on the outside so it is hard to tell.

Always ask questions on ebay, don't trust anyone without pictures of every detail you are looking for, and don't assume anything based on the description. I had to learn this the hard way after plunking down about $300 on a replica.

I'm not knowledgeable about jersey brands from the 90's etc but there used to be Pro Player and Starter? DId both offer authentic or did one have exclusive rights? When did CCM come in?

What did he do, play in it? What a dingbat. That's probably why the price is still so low...even though it'll probably jump within the next few days. If he kept that in mint shape though, he'd be rolling in the dough. XXL is a little too big though. I'd be able to make a tent out of that.

What did he do, play in it? What a dingbat. That's probably why the price is still so low...even though it'll probably jump within the next few days. If he kept that in mint shape though, he'd be rolling in the dough. XXL is a little too big though. I'd be able to make a tent out of that.

Yeah, XXL is way too big for me too and that thing does look like it has taken quite a beating. What a shame.

Oops...musta missed this.

I'm not knowledgeable about jersey brands from the 90's etc but there used to be Pro Player and Starter? DId both offer authentic or did one have exclusive rights? When did CCM come in?

CCM started making jerseys in the 1980's I think. They weren't exclusive because smaller companies like Cosby and Nike and Steichen and Eagle and Century Sports made jerseys for certain/local teams. Sometime in the mid-to-late 80's though, CCM basically took over as the primary supplier for all teams until 1995 when Starter supplied the Avs. The next year, Nike and Starter made jerseys for 14 teams. Starter supplied Boston, Florida, Hartford(Carolina), Los Angeles, Montreal, NYR, Pittsburgh and St. Louis while Nike supplied Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, San Jose and Toronto. After 1999, Nike stopped making pro jerseys and Starter went under so Pro Player took over; plus the Sabres, Oilers, Flames and Devils but minus the Hurricanes, Red Wings, Kings, Flyers, Sharks Blues and Leafs. After the turn of the century, CCM resumed all responsibilities but started to produce the dark jerseys under their parent companys name KOHO.

Oops...musta missed this.

CCM started making jerseys in the 1980's I think. They weren't exclusive because smaller companies like Cosby and Nike and Steichen and Eagle and Century Sports made jerseys for certain/local teams. Sometime in the mid-to-late 80's though, CCM basically took over as the primary supplier for all teams until 1995 when Starter supplied the Avs. The next year, Nike and Starter made jerseys for 14 teams. Starter supplied Boston, Florida, Hartford(Carolina), Los Angeles, Montreal, NYR, Pittsburgh and St. Louis while Nike supplied Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, San Jose and Toronto. After 1999, Nike stopped making pro jerseys and Starter went under so Pro Player took over; plus the Sabres, Oilers, Flames and Devils but minus the Hurricanes, Red Wings, Kings, Flyers, Sharks Blues and Leafs. After the turn of the century, CCM resumed all responsibilities but started to produce the dark jerseys under their parent companys name KOHO.

In the Predator's first season 1998-1999 they were the only team supplied by Bauer.

It does look pretty bad, but I've had much worse after playing goalie on a rainy day on a dirty tennis court in my Finland jersey and then splitting my chin open and bleeding all over it, and I managed to get that to look good as new, so I placed a bid on it.

It does look pretty bad, but I've had much worse after playing goalie on a rainy day on a dirty tennis court in my Finland jersey and then splitting my chin open and bleeding all over it, and I managed to get that to look good as new, so I placed a bid on it.

Best of luck.

In the Predator's first season 1998-1999 they were the only team supplied by Bauer.

Right you are. I missed that one....but I HAVE that one!

edatorscirca1998Bauerauthentic-vi.jpg

I used to play in almost all my jerseys for some reason. I guess when I was younger I was a "dingbat".

Yeah well I guess it's alright as long as you don't play in something that's rare. I've played in two of my Rangers jerseys, a Hurricanes jersey, a Capitals jersey and a Flames jersey but I would NEVER play in anything that had any kind of value. That Ducks jersey is worth about 300 bucks and it's a replica. You wouldn't catch me wearing that thing anywhere but in my house.

Yeah well I guess it's alright as long as you don't play in something that's rare. I've played in two of my Rangers jerseys, a Hurricanes jersey, a Capitals jersey and a Flames jersey but I would NEVER play in anything that had any kind of value. That Ducks jersey is worth about 300 bucks and it's a replica. You wouldn't catch me wearing that thing anywhere but in my house.

Yea I guess that's true. I've recently gained a new appreciation for my jerseys for some reason so I stopped playing in any of them and have decided to have all my blank jerseys customized.

But yes to play in something like that, he is indeed a dingbat.

That Ducks jersey is worth about 300 bucks and it's a replica. You wouldn't catch me wearing that thing anywhere but in my house.

I think $300 sounds pretty high for a blank one. There was one customized as a Selanne that did go for about $360 recently.

It makes my Kariya really seem like a good bargain though. Man that lockout was good for me.

As for wearing it out of the house, go for it. Chicks dig the Wild Wing. They'd be all over you in that. :thumbsup:

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up on the auction, too.

I used to play in almost all my jerseys for some reason. I guess when I was younger I was a "dingbat". :lol:

I'm guilty of that too. I had a starter Devils jersey I used to play in, once the logo came off, that ended those days! I had the white one, but when I replaced it, I went after the red.

Check out this one-of-a-kind item.

"I am GOLDBERG, the GOALIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Very interesting, though still a nice collectors item for both Disney fans and jersey collectors both.

Fake Premier replicas showing up! Check out this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luongo-1-Vancouver-Can...1QQcmdZViewItem

It was only a matter of time, though there are a few decent deals on some of the new EDGE Authentics on ebay too. Rangers and Ducks jerseys for under 150 each and the Thrashers jersey that Finny and I got for 85, as well as actual auctions on a Capitals jersey and another Thrashers jersey. (This is information based on size 52 jerseys)