EBay

Brilliant!

Alright so I'm having trouble determining the year(s) this is from. Before anyone links me to the uniform database, I looked, and what the seller said in an email doesn't make any sense when compared to the database.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Rangers-Hockey-Jersey-/140509604931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7066c43#ht_500wt_1156

It's a CCM jersey, so that should narrow it to '87-'96. The seller says there's no NHL shield on the back next to the CCM logo, which should indicate that it's from '87-'90 if you go by the uniform database BUT, it doesn't look like the typical mesh that was used back then. At least not that I can see from the pictures, and the seller says it was purchased in the late 90's. Anyone?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a CCM jersey, so that should narrow it to '87-'96. The seller says there's no NHL shield on the back next to the CCM logo, which should indicate that it's from '87-'90 if you go by the uniform database BUT, it doesn't look like the typical mesh that was used back then. At least not that I can see from the pictures, and the seller says it was purchased in the late 90's. Anyone?

Replicas usually aren't the same exact materials as the pro authentics. Yes the authentic Rangers CCM jerseys of the early/mid 90's were mesh, as were the Rangers Starter jerseys of the late 90's, but the replicas of each were knit not mesh.

Replicas usually aren't the same exact materials as the pro authentics. Yes the authentic Rangers CCM jerseys of the early/mid 90's were mesh, as were the Rangers Starter jerseys of the late 90's, but the replicas of each were knit not mesh.

Interesting. So it's entirely possible that the jersey is from the mid-90's, even without the NHL shield on the back hem?. Also, sort of related - the OUTRAGEOUS stupidity of some people on eBay astonishes me. I had the first bid on this, and I set my max bid at $65 last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509912703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Interesting. So it's entirely possible that the jersey is from the mid-90's, even without the NHL shield on the back hem?. Also, sort of related - the OUTRAGEOUS stupidity of some people on eBay astonishes me. I had the first bid on this, and I set my max bid at $65 last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...T#ht_500wt_1156

I dont understand, Why does that make people stupid? Maybe to the other bidders it is worth a lot more then $65? Everyone values things differently.

I dont understand, Why does that make people stupid? Maybe to the other bidders it is worth a lot more then $65? Everyone values things differently.

Because it's a blank replica? Without tags? And if they had done their research, they'd see there's an authentic that's gonna sell for less than that?

Could be shell bidding. I've never seen a replica white Liberty go that high. Something seems fishy.

Could be shell bidding. I've never seen a replica white Liberty go that high. Something seems fishy.

THANK YOU! Hence why I said people are stupid. I find that the majority of eBayers are rage bidders. I was just winning an auction for a NWT CCM Liberty jersey. It was at 15.50 and my max bid was $35 because there was no logical reason why it should skyrocket in the last 10 minutes of the auction when there were 0 bids until last night. NOW, it's at $61 and it went up 50 bucks in a minute and a half. I swear, sometimes it's like people see something and automatically think "dur this is the most valuable thing I've ever seen! bid bid bid bid bid!" without thinking about the current selling price and what they could realistically get the item for.

I understand it's rare, but my friend just got a blank Liberty jersey the other night for 29 bucks on eBay because he was the only bidder. Granted it was Super Bowl Sunday and that worked to his advantage, but still. I'm going to be relieving him of that jersey because it's an XL and he'll swim in it, but I would've liked to have gotten another one to go along with it. I lost a NWT Leetch jersey last night that was at 25 bucks and I was winning until the last 30 seconds of the auction when three different people started rage bidding because they all absolutely had to have it. It only sold for like 65 bucks and I probably could've gotten it, but I don't get into bidding wars. If I do that, I'm gonna be pissed either way - I'll either be pissed that I don't have it, or I'll have it and be pissed that I paid more than it's really worth.

i saw that auction...the winner of that auction is someone new on ebay. Hey people want to overpay for stuff let them. I had extra money to spend and i wanted that liberty one with tags just not gonna spend the house on it since there not hard to get. I was going to make a bid but didnt bother since i saw it kept going up at the last second. There really is no need to crying over spilled milk. Things always pop up from time to time so just get em next time.

i saw that auction...the winner of that auction is someone new on ebay. Hey people want to overpay for stuff let them. I had extra money to spend and i wanted that liberty one with tags just not gonna spend the house on it since there not hard to get. There really is no need to crying over spilled milk. Things always pop up from time to time so just get em next time.

Exactly. I just fell into a few hundred bucks and I wanted to buy a couple of jerseys if I could get them cheap enough, but I set limits for how much I'm willing to pay and I'm not going to be the guy who overpays for a blank hockey jersey that I'll still have to spend another 50 bucks on to have customized.

This thread isn't for you to complain about people out bidding you on eBay.

It happens to ALL of us on here ALL the time. That's why its exciting when you get lucky on a few.

THANK YOU! Hence why I said people are stupid. I find that the majority of eBayers are rage bidders. I was just winning an auction for a NWT CCM Liberty jersey. It was at 15.50 and my max bid was $35 because there was no logical reason why it should skyrocket in the last 10 minutes of the auction when there were 0 bids until last night. NOW, it's at $61 and it went up 50 bucks in a minute and a half.

I don't really know what "rage" bidding is. Most people (myself not included) bid snipe. There are automated programs to do this. They enter their bid during the last minute. This is the nature of most eBay auctions. There's nothing crazy or illogical about waiting until the last minute to do it. Personally I prefer to just bid my max as soon as I see something and then move on, but I am in the vast minority.

When you see all of these last minute bids, there's no rage or emotion behind it, it's just how many many people use eBay. In their eyes placing an early bid is tipping your hand.

As many others have said, there's no set price for this stuff - we're talking about collectible items no longer available for retail sale. Therefore, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay more, they will win every time and it doesn't matter if they bid in the first minute or the last minute.

I don't really know what "rage" bidding is. Most people (myself not included) bid snipe. There are automated programs to do this. They enter their bid during the last minute. This is the nature of most eBay auctions. There's nothing crazy or illogical about waiting until the last minute to do it. Personally I prefer to just bid my max as soon as I see something and then move on, but I am in the vast minority.

When you see all of these last minute bids, there's no rage or emotion behind it, it's just how many many people use eBay. In their eyes placing an early bid is tipping your hand.

As many others have said, there's no set price for this stuff - we're talking about collectible items no longer available for retail sale. Therefore, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay more, they will win every time and it doesn't matter if they bid in the first minute or the last minute.

Rage bidding is what you do when someone outbids you and you get mad over it. It's the eBay equivalent of a 5 year old biting another 5 year old over a plastic block in preschool. It's childish and annoying. If it's that important to you, set your max bid at X dollars and leave it alone. Don't drive the price up for everyone else just because you know you can't afford it. Also, eBay should be better at preventing bid sniping. Anyone not placing a physical bid or an automatic bid BY eBay should have their IP banned. There's plenty of ways to verify that someone is using a bot to bid for them, and there's plenty of ways to ban that user.

i think its the same dude who won that bid and made that White liberty one. I just found that funny but hey it happens.

This thread isn't for you to complain about people out bidding you on eBay.

It happens to ALL of us on here ALL the time. That's why its exciting when you get lucky on a few.

What are you, the High Exalted Mystic Pubar around here? Every time I post something, you chime in and tell me how "this isn't for you to post here" or "this post is useless. Stop making useless posts". This is a discussion forum, it's for people to have conversations over the internet. I don't see my posts violating any forum rules, so get down from the high horse. If you don't like reading my posts, feel free to add me to your iggy list. But I'm not going to stop posting what's on my mind on your say so. The thread title is eBay, my posts are on topic.

Bid sniping isn't against the rules - and the example provided above didn't show anything other than how proxy bidding works. And proxy bidding is the cornerstone of how bidding is handled on eBay.

I wasn't talking about rage bidding exactly. I'm talking about when a seller has friends or someone they know drive up the price to inflate the total in hopes that someone will get desperate and outbid.

To further my point, look at the bid history: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=140509912703

We have one with 2 feedback, and 1 with 0. My guess is they're shell bidding, thinking that if you're desperate enough to bid immediately and increasingly (4 bids in an hour), you'll meet their demands. Using 2 accounts makes it look less fishy, but fishy, nonetheless. I'm not insulting you by calling you "desperate," just asserting what an outsider could think.

Oh and I bid snipe like it's my job.

Those 2 auctions for the liberty jersey are located in the same state and its the same person who made those ridiculous bids that are high. Could be coincidence, could be shell bidding.

I wasn't talking about rage bidding exactly. I'm talking about when a seller has friends or someone they know drive up the price to inflate the total in hopes that someone will get desperate and outbid.

Yeh I get what you're saying Johnny, that's shill bidding and it's not just against eBay policy, it's actually illegal in most states. It does still happen, but I think it's more rare than some people think and eBay does crack down on it pretty hard.

Most people snipe - I don't just 'cause I don't want to bother setting up anything automated, and if I do it manually I often forget and miss out. :D

To further my point, look at the bid history: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=140509912703

We have one with 2 feedback, and 1 with 0. My guess is they're shell bidding, thinking that if you're desperate enough to bid immediately and increasingly (4 bids in an hour), you'll meet their demands. Using 2 accounts makes it look less fishy, but fishy, nonetheless. I'm not insulting you by calling you "desperate," just asserting what an outsider could think.

Yeah I know what shill bidding is. The 2 feedback is probably me, I haven't looked at the link. I did get annoyed and I wanted to see what the auction was actually at, but it kept going up so I left it alone. The 1 feedback and 0 feedback are probably the shill bidders. There's no reason for a replica to go up that high. If I actually find one locally with tags on it, it'll probably be around 80 bucks and yes I will buy it....and then I'll post it on eBay and let the rage bidders have a field day.

Yeah I know what shill bidding is. The 2 feedback is probably me, I haven't looked at the link. I did get annoyed and I wanted to see what the auction was actually at, but it kept going up so I left it alone. The 1 feedback and 0 feedback are probably the shill bidders. There's no reason for a replica to go up that high. If I actually find one locally with tags on it, it'll probably be around 80 bucks and yes I will buy it....and then I'll post it on eBay and let the rage bidders have a field day.

Ah, thought you were the 44 feedback guy. Well then maybe the 44 guy is over-valuing it a bit? Who knows? The 0 guy is throwing me off though.

Because 95% of your posts are all about YOU and Your problems. You expect everyone on this board to agree with you and also to help YOU out. Go back and look I've looked things up for you and helped you out before. And you have done relatively nothing for everyone else on here but tell us that you can't get the rangers anny sweater with the retired numbers anywhere else but MSG.

You started off here on the forum telling all of us you don't care about collecting or getting fonts and tagging right and how a lot spending money on sweaters is stupid. Members replied to you negatively about that, then you do it again here complaining again about how people spent money on a sweater you wanted and how that is OUTRAGEOUS.

These open discussions about Your problems don't add any positive content to this forum. No one is going to get on here to find out information about your theory of "rage bidding" This board is used for information like a reference guide. And the other threads are places to discuss stuff.

You got out bid it sucks. It does. I feel for you.

You seem like you are enjoying this collecting stuff and that's cool. Its great when people get into it, but take your time and learn more about how it works.

If your pissed about the way ebay members operate start another thread about getting outbid and how you think the ebay culture should change.

But I and most of us check the ebay thread to see if people are posting finds worth buying which is what it is for.

Anytime I see those white libertys I try to post them for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509912703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Rage bidding is what you do when someone outbids you and you get mad over it. It's the eBay equivalent of a 5 year old biting another 5 year old over a plastic block in preschool. It's childish and annoying. If it's that important to you, set your max bid at X dollars and leave it alone. Don't drive the price up for everyone else just because you know you can't afford it. Also, eBay should be better at preventing bid sniping. Anyone not placing a physical bid or an automatic bid BY eBay should have their IP banned. There's plenty of ways to verify that someone is using a bot to bid for them, and there's plenty of ways to ban that user.

What are you, the High Exalted Mystic Pubar around here? Every time I post something, you chime in and tell me how "this isn't for you to post here" or "this post is useless. Stop making useless posts". This is a discussion forum, it's for people to have conversations over the internet. I don't see my posts violating any forum rules, so get down from the high horse. If you don't like reading my posts, feel free to add me to your iggy list. But I'm not going to stop posting what's on my mind on your say so. The thread title is eBay, my posts are on topic.

U mad?

Well said nogoal99.

Dropkick, I think you need to just try to calm down a little. People on this board aren't out to get you, nor are people on eBay.

You said you think most sellers are crooks, looking to rip people off. You said you think people who out bid you are stupid, shell bidders, or "rage" bidders (something I still think isn't a real issue). You're projecting all these angry emotions at others, when honestly they are going about their business buying and selling without really giving you a thought. People can and will pay more for something on eBay than you think it's worth and that's just a fact of life. People do have different definitions of "authentic". Everything isn't a conspiracy.

You're new to this hobby and a lot of people here have been trying to help you, but you really need to take a deep breath and try to be a little more patient.