Coolhockey have stopped selling blank jerseys, forcing customers to customize - more shops to follow?

Lightbringer

Coolhockey have stopped selling blank jerseys completely.  They have removed the blank option when you buy jerseys. I thought it was a website error and contacted them, and then they just replied, "unfortunately, we no longer sell the jerseys as blanks".

Your reaction to this?  Why are they doing this? Do they want to force customers to buy customization to make more money?

Personally I find it very weird, as the would lose out any customer that collects or wear blank jerseys.

And is there a risk of more shops to follow?

Edited by Lightbringer

I wouldn't be surprised if the league eventually goes this route, much like the NFL and NBA. Customized jerseys are more expensive and players names and numbers = royalties for the players so the NHLPA is probably pressuring this to be how jerseys are sold. 

Edited by Van67

1 hour ago, Van67 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the league eventually goes this route, much like the NFL and NBA. Customized jerseys are more expensive and players names and numbers = royalties for the players so the NHLPA is probably pressuring this to be how jerseys are sold. 

At least with the NFL I can understand - the jersey is nothing without the player numbers on it.  Not an NBA fan so I can't comment too much, but at least those appear to have the team name on the chest also.

1 hour ago, hatryk said:

Honestly blanks are cheaper on eBay as well. 

Do you mean by private persons selling them? Or do you mean by some of these bigtime "discount sellers"? 

The jerseys and sizes I am looking to buy are not available on ebay unfortunately.  Usually order only when coolhockey has a 25% or 30% discount going.

Edited by Lightbringer

I was still able to go to the website and select a jersey and buy it as a blank:

Cool Hockey

Edited by KB67

17 hours ago, KB67 said:

All that being said, I was still able to go to the website and select a jersey and buy it as a blank:

Interesting. Its not possible to buy blanks from the US website, but its possible on the CA website. I could also add blank jerseys on the CA website. Thats strange! Especially as they are saying blanks can no longer be  bought, maybe they have not updated the CA website yet.

c.jpg
c2.jpg

Edited by Lightbringer

3 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

Coolhockey sellings pre-customized jerseys only would be insanity.

Edited by KB67

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A further attempt to destroy the hobby of jersey collecting. 

I sure hope it isn’t, but it makes sense based on what’s happening with the NFL.

I should add that I did reply to coolhockey and asked them why they suddenly dont sell blanks anymore, and also asked them if they have issued some kind of statement regarding the change, have not heard back from them yet. To me it seems really odd to just stop selling blanks without informing anyone of it. I mean, imagine people buying blanks from them for like 10-15 years, and suddenly its not possible...

Edited by Lightbringer

23 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

Do you mean by private persons selling them? Or do you mean by some of these bigtime "discount sellers"? 

The jerseys and sizes I am looking to buy are not available on ebay unfortunately.  Usually order only when coolhockey has a 25% or 30% discount going.

Usually benhsports is cheap enough for a blank

Coolhockey replied now and made to sure to avoid to answer my question and instead went with. "Hey, we never released a statement on this matter. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause"

Whats the reason for not giving a straight answer? It would be pretty darn helpful for me and other collectors to know why the change has happened and if its a long term change, to plan our future jerseys purchases, which is critical to our well being ;)

Edited by Lightbringer

Probably something similar to River City Sports for those that bought from them back in the 90's (good lord that was 25yrs ago + for me)
They used to have everything and now it seems all they sell are Premier jerseys.
Maybe they had a contract that ran out or they are trying to sell off what they have left for as much as they can.  
Hopefully someone will take their place and start selling the Adidas stuff.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:22 AM, hatryk said:

Usually benhsports is cheap enough for a blank

Thanks for the tip, and I agree. I did buy one jersey from Ben. But he is very rarely stocking size 42 and 44, which is the ones I am interested in. Obviously the other sizes are much more easier to find. Btw, does benhsports have all jerseys they have listed on ebay or are they carrying more jerseys?

On 1/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, Hockey Bob said:

Probably something similar to River City Sports for those that bought from them back in the 90's (good lord that was 25yrs ago + for me)
They used to have everything and now it seems all they sell are Premier jerseys.
Maybe they had a contract that ran out or they are trying to sell off what they have left for as much as they can.  
Hopefully someone will take their place and start selling the Adidas stuff.

I remember purchasing most of my jerseys and having them customized from River City Sports back then.. Never had a problem.. Always professional. Too bad all they are selling are the Premier jerseys now.. It has been awhile since Ive dealt with them..

8 hours ago, LIBlackhawk said:

I remember purchasing most of my jerseys and having them customized from River City Sports back then.. Never had a problem.. Always professional. Too bad all they are selling are the Premier jerseys now.. It has been awhile since Ive dealt with them..

Same here. I remember getting their catalog and would circle what I wanted for Christmas

13 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

Same here. I remember getting their catalog and would circle what I wanted for Christmas

For me as a kid, getting their catalog was like Christmas morning, haha..