The New Jerseys

lafountain

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh...not too bad I guess. I'm still not enamored with those stripes down the chest but what are you gonna do? It's not bad considering.

New Leafs jerseys.

I'm not at all impressed. Very boring. They killed the shoulder patches too. That's lame.

We are in the last week of unveilings. Here is one final list of teams who are left and their dates.

13 Sep - Anaheim

14 Sep - Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia

15 Sep - St Louis, Phoenix, Buffalo

16 Sep - Edmonton

17 Sep - San Jose, New Jersey

The whole thing:

wild08.jpg

Look at those quality (NOT) hangers they are using in that photo. The NHL logo is barely peeking out on the neck of the red one. I see they utilized the ribbed collar from the 2004 All-Star jerseys. I like that they retained most of their 'classic' design on the white jersey. See, it can be done! Also, notice that they are using the replica jerseys to show off the new look. I know the State of Hockey can put forth a better presentation of this new product.

What kind of hangers should be used? Serious question, I'd like to know so I can use the right kind and not ruin my jerseys. I currently use white plastic ones, the round type in a triangle shape.

The Marlies jerseys look better than the Leafs. I like the Maple Leafs shoulder patches, replacing the vintage Marlies logo. The Leafs are too dull. The TV show to introduce them was as dull as their new look.

The new Avalanche Jerseys.

AvsWhite.jpg

AvsDark.jpg

:noway: Wow...I used to love the Avalanche jerseys, what's up with those stripes???

What's the deal with all the teams losing their shoulder patches? I thought they added character and looked good... The new Leafs jerseys are boring.

Found this on a website some guy has set up on the sportslogos.net page. http://www.geocities.com/capn89/

"New" Ducks

capnDUC1.jpg

capnDUC2.jpg

No major change and a little more orange. Looks good.

Holy moly, a threesome of new jerseys.

The Leafs stuck with a classic design like the other Original 6 teams (haven't seen Chicago's yet) so far. No shoulder patches, to me, that's a savings of $100+ if I wanted to buy a replica, IF I wanted to buy one of those. Ditto for the Ducks, who are sans shoulder patches, too, and I'd save $100+ buying a replica, IF I wanted to buy one (the awesome orange and gold neck may be the deal-sealer). And if I bought one, that could be the kiss of death for them, I have that effect sometimes ^_^ . I like how they retained the look of the one they won the Cup in. Those thick numbers on the back (if they retain them) may push the limits of the EDGE template. I like the new Avs ones. The crest jumps out at you on the dark one. I think the piping on the front is a big plus. The only knock is the single color stripe down the arms. Couldn't those have at least one thin layer of trim? The best number font in the NHL, IMO, is staying put :thumbsup: . I'd consider getting one of these, but there's no question, the old ones were better.

http://www.fartfignewton.com/rbk_edge/

Website with screengrabs of all the new jerseys from NHL08. Take them as you will whether or not you believe the authenticity of them.

Website with screengrabs of all the new jerseys from NHL08. Take them as you will whether or not you believe the authenticity of them.

Not a fan of that striping from top to bottom starting at the collar. These jerseys are looking more "swift-like" than the NHL jerseys. Oh well....

Wow what a scary picture. He looks like a rapist in that shot.

"Hey ladies, my name's Patrick and I like long walks on the beach and roofie cooladas!"

Anyone see the Blackhawks 'preview'?

Looking good for sure. It's nice to see there were no changes.

Oh, they're authentic all right. rbk's EDGE website accidentally leaked the code to unlock the uniforms in NHL 08, and when word got out, so did these screenshots. So, for better or for worse, there they are.

nhl_philadelphia_flyers.jpg

My opinion on the Flyers is that it's pretty meh. Could be better, could be worse. But compared to some of the stuff we've seen, the Flyers have one of the better templated designs. Still, I'm not going to spend money on it. Maybe when the orange 3rd comes out, I'll reconsider.

Also interesting to see that the Phantoms are using the same template. I liked their old ones, especially with the shoulders, but I can live with it.

Wow what a scary picture. He looks like a rapist in that shot.

"Hey ladies, my name's Patrick and I like long walks on the beach and roofie cooladas!"

Anyone see the Blackhawks 'preview'?

Looking good for sure. It's nice to see there were no changes.

:lol: That´s my favorite drink to mix, gotta remember to put those little umbrellas in em´........... :D

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pag...;galleryId=2396

Photoset from last nights game. Doesn't look so bad as a full uniform set, which is what Wolf said to expect.

Well, I have yet to post much about the new jerseys so here's some overall thoughts on the entire package now that I've seen them all.

On the whole, I don't like how so many teams are using the same striping template. There's been proof that an Edge jersey does not require you to stick to the construction of the jersey. Boston's jersey gave me early hopes that the "template mindset" we had been fearing was possible to overcome, but in the end Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis and Washington all have relatively similar piping that runs from the neck down. Also, Minnesota's red, Carolina and the Islanders all seem to be variations on the same theme. Then Ottawa, Pittsburgh & Tampa Bay are just the same pattern with team colors plugged in. Why wouldn't each team howl in protest when made to look just like another team? I'd want my own unique identity.

Dont' even get me started on the minimalist jerseys from Dallas, Phoenix red & Toronto. Why even bother? Just horrid.

Some teams have proven that the Edge system doesn't automatically mean you have to have a lousy jersey, but man, the gap between the best in the league and the worst is a lot, lot wider than it ever used to be, that's for certain.

I'm really pleased with the new jerseys from Boston, best in the league by far and the Sharks.

Of course, some teams just stayed the same and that's fine, but there's a few of those who seem to have actually passed on the opportunity to make a change that maybe should have. The Kings & Minnesota's white come to mind.

I'd like Ottawa's or Pittsburgh's more, if they were the only one to have that particular pattern. They are both decent looking by themselves, but the whole "plug your colors into a template" thing obviously doesn't go over that well with me.

Still with me? Well here's my rankings.

Anaheim - C. No changes from last year, but they did win that cup thingy and the pattern is only a year old so they weren't really expected to change. Should have added some shoulder logos though. Acres of blank space that needed something to break it up.

Atlanta - F. The white one is so bland compared to their creative and unique winged sleeve design I can't stand it. The asymmetrical design just sucks no matter what jersey style it's done in. Horrid.

Boston - A. A classic hockey sweater look that just oozes class.

Buffalo - D. Still a bunch of weird blobs on the sides of the jersey for no reason. A missed opportunity for change.

Calgary - F. One of the worst of the new. As busy as it can possibly get from the chest down and next to nothing happening on top except some flags, one of which clashes colorwise with everything else. I know what they were trying to do with the flags, but it just seems very forced.

Carolina - B. A decent update of an existing sweater, but perhaps a chance to come up with something new since the Cane's have been around for awhile now.

Chicago - B. Nothing innovative here, but hard to mess with tradition although I kind of wish they would have tried to make the red jersey waist stripes to match the whites for a change.

Colorado - D. A templated mess. They lost the unique jagged stripes that suggested a mountain range and that's a shame to give up your uniqueness for blandness.

Columbus - A. Keeping the sharp looking dark sweater and making the white version of it gives them a clean, traditional looking set.

Dallas - F. Just terrible. They look like something generic you'd find on the racks at T. J. Maxx. The black sweater may be the worst in the league.

Detroit - B. Can't mess with tradition, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Edmonton - F. The white sweater is one of the worst of the new ones. They both have zero personality. There's just nothing going on here. The white one especially needs a jolt of color.

Florida - C. Actually, with this color scheme, it's not too bad, but gets downgraded for not being unique. If this was the only team that used this template, I'd grade this one higher.

Los Angeles - F. This look has got to go and this would have been a great opportunity to start with a clean sheet of paper.

Minnesota - C. These are last years sweaters. There's nothing new here, no risks taken. The red, as with a lot of the new ones, needs waist stripes and the away sweater would have been killer as a cream version of the red. The white one was an opportunity to do something new that they passed on.

Montreal - B. Same as Detroit, they didn't mess with tradition.

Nashville - D. If they had made the shoulders on the white ones blue and not had the stupid sleeves on the blue ones suddenly turn white half way down, I'd grade these higher.

New Jersey - B. Standing pat is fine, but that only grades a B.

New York Islanders - B. Oddly enough, I liking these colors with this template. At least the shoulder piping makes it look like a hockey jersey, along with the tie-neck. Plus, the Islanders needed a change and made one.

New York Rangers - B. Keeping with the traditional look once more.

Ottawa - A. I rather like this set. It's got shoulder logos, updated crests that match on the home and away and the colors work well with this template.

Philadelphia - C. Finally a change from the old jerseys after 100 years has to be given some credit.

Phoenix - D. It's just so blank and generic. At least they gave the white jerseys red shoulders, but some cream and black trim to add some color to the stripes would make this a lot better.

Pittsburgh - B. The colors don't have as much vibrancy as the Senators red and black when combined. The Las Vegas Gold against the white is too low contrast for me, but they're nice enough.

San Jose - A. Now that's what a hockey sweater should look like. Imagine if Phoenix had just done this in their colors how much better they would look.

St. Louis - F. Let's take all the horrid elements of the new designs and put them all on one jersey! Those shoulders are just plain horrible.

Tampa Bay - D. Acres of dead space combined with a new, clip art logo make these look like nothing more than fancy pajama tops. These could actually have looked better with some of the piping from the other template to break up the upper part of the jerseys.

Toronto - F. The jerseys have two stripes on the arms and a 1970's logo. That's it. What did that take to design? 15 seconds? The blue ones don't even have a white collar! Biggest disappointment of the original six and perhaps the whole league.

Vancouver - C. A return to the popular original colors, some shoulder logos & waist stripes. So far so good. It looks like a hockey sweater, but does get graded down one for the lazy use of a recolored unpopular logo.

Washington - C. Took the opportunity to try something new with the jerseys and came up with an updated version of a classic logo. Certainly an "A" for effort, but the final result leaves me a bit flat since they were saddled with the Edge look. Had they done this last year with a standard jersey I bet I'd like it a lot more. Maybe it needed more stars down the sleeves or around the waist.

I do have one thing to say about all of them as a whole though - even the worst ones are better than the Nike Swift template and the idiotic stripes that start and stop mid sleeve and the bizzarro wavy stripe panels on the sides.

JeffB

Getting my hands on that code I've now had the opportunity to see them all. Overall not impressed league wide with what has happened. There just isn't a good standout crowd outside of 5-6 jerseys that I really like and those are the ones had little change to them.

Boston, Montreal, Detroit, Washington, NY Rangers, Chicago, and Nashville (for the most part) are fine with me.

Though we have seen the video game images already here are some more that were unveiled today.

Thrashers

0708_THR_Jerseys_240.jpg

Dark Flyers Jersey

jersey2.jpg

Blues (Though not an official unveiling yet)

http://nhllogos.blogspot.com/2007/09/early...ues-jersey.html