Anybody on a budget?

Hockey Bob

Don't know where to put this,

Just wondering if anyone has a monthly budget for what you buy - or - Do you just "Strike while the iron is hot"

Asking because I typically do the ol'  'Strike when hot' thing but things have gotten a little out of control.
Also, if you are on a budget. Have you missed out on something because you stuck to it or do you bend the rules?

I went through my eBay purchases and compared 2018 through June to 2019 through June and I've been spending about $270 more per month this year. (does anyone else do this or am I just the weird one of the bunch?)

The upside is when I buy a new car I know I'll have enough for the car note and insurance :huh:

Edited by Hockey Bob

Usually takes saving my monthly expendable budget for a few months to even get a blank. When I used to teach guitar lessons I could bring in about $250/mo which was essentially my budget.

missed out on a Hawks 09-11 third because I didn't want to spend $50 over my budget and it was gone by the time I had the cash on hand.

life goes on.

Nope. Everything else is budgeted, so it’s just how much fun money I have at any given moment. 

Given that I mostly collect authentics that are mostly under $200, I can usually squeeze out the money I need to whenever I need to. 

Don’t really have a jersey budget. Just buy what I want until I start to feel guilty and then I take a break for a few months 😂

I will, though, at times, try to only buy stuff from the money I get from selling stuff. I suppose that is a budget of sorts.

This year from March 2019 to March 2020, I've budgeted a certain amount I want to spend on jersey, customization, misc.

It's the first year I've tried to limit myself to see how I'd do.  And I'm not doing too well at all.  Only 4 months in and I've spent over 2/3 of what I've allotted. Dammit anyway.

I budgeted 2200 for new purchases and 1300 for customization and miscellaneous.  So 3500 for the year.  Since I only collect authentics this gives me a decent amount to work with.  I'm down to 600 for new purchases and 400 for custom work.  I'm doing this in Canadian funds too so its more like 2500 USD to work with.  I'm finding it doesn't go very far.

It's mostly an exercise of interest to track how I do, but I'd confidently say I'll be bending the rules before the end of my one year. Just spent over 500 today 😅.  

Edited by JJM4

1 hour ago, JJM4 said:

This year from March 2019 to March 2020, I've budgeted a certain amount I want to spend on jersey, customization, misc.

It's the first year I've tried to limit myself to see how I'd do.  And I'm not doing too well at all.  Only 4 months in and I've spent over 2/3 of what I've allotted. Dammit anyway.

I budgeted 2200 for new purchases and 1300 for customization and miscellaneous.  So 3500 for the year.  Since I only collect authentics this gives me a decent amount to work with.  I'm down to 600 for new purchases and 400 for custom work.  I'm doing this in Canadian funds too so its more like 2500 USD to work with.  I'm finding it doesn't go very far.

It's mostly an exercise of interest to track how I do, but I'd confidently say I'll be bending the rules before the end of my one year. Just spent over 500 today 😅.  

Part of me wants to say $3500 a year is crazy for jerseys. 

The other part of me does NOT want to add up my purchases to see how much I exceeded that by. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Part of me wants to say $3500 a year is crazy for jerseys. 

The other part of me does NOT want to add up my purchases to see how much I exceeded that by. 

No doubt, it is a little crazy, but this is only coming from an authentic collector.  I'd imagine being a gamer collector could get a little scary.

Edited by JJM4

23 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

No doubt, it is a little crazy, but this is only coming from an authentic collector.  I'd imagine being a gamer collector could get a little scary.

Definitely!!

I too only collect authentics, 
I've had a few try and get me into gamers but I couldn't justify shifting gears at this stage of my madness. 

And thanks a lot Fitz, I just went back and calculated my spending in 2018 and projected spending in 2019. 
Let's just say I wish I had the self control to stick to a budget, even without the CAD to USA conversion I've blown JJM4's mark out of the water thus far in the year 😲

8 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Let's just say I wish I had the self control to stick to a budget, even without the CAD to USA conversion I've blown JJM4's mark out of the water thus far in the year 😲

Knowing what your pickup posts look like, I'm not the least bit surprised. 😅

I've never been able to pass up something that I know doesn't come around very often, even if it comes on the heels of some lesser purchases. I knew I'd slow down in time, and that appears to have happened.

2 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Knowing what your pickup posts look like, I'm not the least bit surprised. 😅

Thank you  
And I only post what Mike cleans up for me, imagine if I figured out how to post my own pics! 😋

A budget?  What's that?  Maybe I need to look into that............

2 hours ago, LetsGoCaps said:

A budget?  What's that?  Maybe I need to look into that............

I wouldn't do that if I were you. It sounds dangerous; like adding up what you've spent, then adding postage considering I'm on the other side of the planet. Oh dear, this is ungood.

Back to the original question I have a jersey slush fund of sorts for the really tricky ones to get and the rest are ad hoc. Exchange rate sliding a ton over the last few years has been unpleasant.

12 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

And thanks a lot Fitz, I just went back and calculated my spending in 2018 and projected spending in 2019. 

You are NEVER supposed to add up those numbers!!

A few years back I did a total renovation of my house. Occasionally someone will ask me what i paid, and the answer to that is, has been, and will always be "I don't know". I could ballpark it, but I would really rather not know how far outside that ballpark the price actually was. 

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I could ballpark it, but I would really rather not know how far outside that ballpark the price actually was. 

Because the non-monetary benefit/enjoyment of the renovation is worth it, right?  As long as you're staying within your limits, that's a necessary mentality for a collector who wants to remain happy, IMO.  Making it about the money when that's not why you collect in the first place is a sure path to frustration. 

5 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Because the non-monetary benefit/enjoyment of the renovation is worth it, right?  As long as you're staying within your limits, that's a necessary mentality for a collector who wants to remain happy, IMO.  Making it about the money when that's not why you collect in the first place is a sure path to frustration. 

I wish we could “like” or upvote posts on here. Well said. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:01 PM, furiousd said:

That's correct. It's a hobby, not a business. 

If my ballpark is correct, then both the non-monetary and monetary benefits of the renovation fell my way. 

It cost less than a ballpark. 

Edited by mfitz804

Not really on a budget, but I find myself trading jerseys or selling jerseys before I buy a new one.

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

The whole “I can just sell off another jersey to pay for this new one” thought is dangerous. 

That's my biggest problem. 
I buy stuff and tell myself 'I'm only buying it to flip it' or 'I'll sell a few others to make up for this one' but once it's in my hands that all goes out the window. 

Typically I don't like to sell anything so I should know by now I'm just lying to myself but we get along OK otherwise so I'll let it slide  :doh:

And I'm at a point where I've done my big purge and rid myself of all the excess I don't need or doesn't fit in the collection.  So I can't tell myself I will sell another to make up for this one... I have nothing to sell. It's not a bad spot to be in I guess, helps minimize the impulse in most instances.