Team in decline - cheap jersey flood?

AParrotLooksAt40

Considering the Hawks season and the apparent trajectory, does anyone have any experience with quality jerseys flooding the market from bandwagon fans once the team stops dominating?

Personally I think the Hawks still have it, but selfishly I am hoping the doom and gloomers have some CSL customized Hawks jerseys to part with to aid their frustrations.

I also assume the reason some teams 2.0s are much more expensive than others is because of team success and demand. Also hoping things even out there.

Prior to this season the Devils have largely been irrelevant for the past 5-6 seasons.  With that I didn't see a whole lot in decline in prices as the old stuff just got more expensive due to the availability becoming ever so smaller while the newer stuff just wasn't moving.  Also doesn't help when the Devils were rolling out top 6's that consisted of Gomez, Zajac, Henrique, Cammalleri, Bernier and Tootoo (14-15 season).

The above is in regards to gamers.  I guess it might affect the authentic market differently, but I don't think a whole lot.  Hard to get excited over players playing on a disappointing team.

Prior to two years ago the Maple Leafs were absolutely terrible.  I haven’t noticed a tangible difference in the price for Leafs jerseys from when they sucked to now when they are going to be Stanley Cup champions.

4 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Prior to two years ago the Maple Leafs were absolutely terrible.  I haven’t noticed a tangible difference in the price for Leafs jerseys from when they sucked to now when they are going to be Stanley Cup champions.

I think the big market teams are less affected by this than smaller market or less popular teams.

I don't want the Blackhawks to be terrible again, but I would love finding their jerseys at cheaper prices. Don't get me wrong, there are deals to be had, but when compared to most other teams out there, Hawks jerseys are consistently more expensive.

8 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

Did I go back in time to 1967?

I have seen a fair few Red Wings authentic jerseys be sold in the last 12 or so months that I didn't need duplicates of at really low prices. Eg. properly customised pre-NIke CCM Fedorov for $80 about a week ago.

Conversely I've been able to grab a few very cheap blanks as well. Still seems like it is a buyer's market though

On 11-4-2018 at 3:26 PM, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Considering the Hawks season and the apparent trajectory, does anyone have any experience with quality jerseys flooding the market from bandwagon fans once the team stops dominating?

There are great deals on ebay every now and then. The last time I bought authentic Hawks jerseys (I only collect gamers) was around the 2010 SC season. I remember a black Edge 1.0 for about $125, a ProPlayer for $50, a Khabibulin Koho for $85 to name a few.

The prices of Hawks gamers only seem to increase, especially patched jerseys. I recently spotted a gamer with the WWW patch that was offered for almost double the price I paid 4 years ago (other jersey, same patch)

Edited by amonte78

I'm on the flip side. 
I only collect Retail Authentic because... 

I have not noticed any decline in the prices we'll see what the future brings. 

I guess a team's performance can dictate availability and price of jerseys.

BUT I would think there will always be a high demand for Blackhawks jerseys. So even if the supply rises, the demand is always going to exist, and I guess prices will stay relatively constant. Plus, the fan base and collector base is huge.