Phantoms jersey

cowboys

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=231881254344&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

as I look at all there auctions there is every one with 1 to 2 feedbacks not sure what is going on with all there jerseys .shill Bidding you think

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. They have 100% of their activity with this seller, two of them having bid on 8 and 11 of this seller's items and nothing else.

Classic shill bidding situation.

If the team is doing that people should be screenshotting the s*** out of that and getting the word out. It's one thing for random people to do it on eBay but quite another when a professional team is screwing over their own fans.

If the team is doing that people should be screenshotting the s*** out of that and getting the word out. It's one thing for random people to do it on eBay but quite another when a professional team is screwing over their own fans.

Agreed, that is completely disgusting.

Wow. I had been waiting to snipe something, but seeing that... Screw them. That's ridiculous.

What can anyone do about this? Report it to a local paper or something? Contact the team? This is horrendous.

Edited by dsl135

I'd like to see someone go ahead and do that. I'm not interested enough to spearhead that but I would love to see how they respond.

I never got why teams bother to sell their stuff through eBay. It probably is because of the cost of selling it through something like NHL auctions, but I don't think NHL auctions take as much of a cut as eBay does (I could be wrong though).

Plus on eBay you will have a ton of people just waiting until the last few seconds trying to snipe the jerseys causing massive headaches and disappointment. At least on NHL auctions they have the 5 minute rule and therefore the winning bidder truly is the person who wants to pay the most for it.

I never got why teams bother to sell their stuff through eBay. It probably is because of the cost of selling it through something like NHL auctions, but I don't think NHL auctions take as much of a cut as eBay does (I could be wrong though).

Plus on eBay you will have a ton of people just waiting until the last few seconds trying to snipe the jerseys causing massive headaches and disappointment. At least on NHL auctions they have the 5 minute rule and therefore the winning bidder truly is the person who wants to pay the most for it.

Maybe they've been following J4TW and taking a page from his book.

I'd be willing to bet that NHL Auctions takes at least a 10% fee. As much as people complain about eBay's fees, most auctions or places that sell things on consignment generally take more than that. I am sure the NHL gets a nice chunk.

I do, however, agree with you on the five minute rule. An "auction" isn't supposed to end at a set time; its supposed to end when there is nobody left who wants to outbid the high bidder.

I'd be willing to bet that NHL Auctions takes at least a 10% fee. As much as people complain about eBay's fees, most auctions or places that sell things on consignment generally take more than that. I am sure the NHL gets a nice chunk.

I do, however, agree with you on the five minute rule. An "auction" isn't supposed to end at a set time; its supposed to end when there is nobody left who wants to outbid the high bidder.

Possibly and probably. However Paypal also takes a fee then too. For my sales on eBay when it is all set and done it's about a 13% fee. The amount they would get more if they used an auction house that had some sort of 5 minute rule would negate the increase of fees and would give everyone at least a fair fighting chance at the jerseys.

Sorry if I'm disagreeing with you here, but I'm not really sure why some people consider sniping as either unfair, or a bad thing. It's perfectly within the rules- whoever puts in the highest bid before the auction ends (the time of which is clearly stated) is the winner. Every bidder has the opportunity to place the highest bid they can. I really couldn't care less if my competing bidders lost out because they didn't bid the highest amount they would have paid for the item. That's their problem, not mine. On eBay I bid at the last second whenever possible, and end up winning well over 90% of the auctions I enter. Not only does it protect me against possible shill bidding, but if there are competitors who only bid enough to be on top of the leaderboard at any given time (but who would pay more if necessary), it doesn't give them any time to counter my higher bid, so it probably ends up saving me some money in some cases. If I bid my maximum at the last second and lose (which rarely happens), then someone else wanted the item more than I did, and that person wins it fair and square. It would have happened anyway had it been a live auction.

If people continue bidding in "overtime" and end up outbidding you, are you really going to be less disappointed about losing than if someone had sniped you? With Classic Auctions, GameWorn Auctions, etc., I absolutely hate going to bed at 1 am leading the auction but not knowing until I wake up if I won or lost. I'd rather just get the bidding over with!

Maybe they've been following J4TW and taking a page from his book.

Would explain a few things.

Sorry if I'm disagreeing with you here, but I'm not really sure why some people consider sniping as either unfair, or a bad thing. It's perfectly within the rules- whoever puts in the highest bid before the auction ends (the time of which is clearly stated) is the winner. Every bidder has the opportunity to place the highest bid they can. I really couldn't care less if my competing bidders lost out because they didn't bid the highest amount they would have paid for the item. That's their problem, not mine. On eBay I bid at the last second whenever possible, and end up winning well over 90% of the auctions I enter. Not only does it protect me against possible shill bidding, but if there are competitors who only bid enough to be on top of the leaderboard at any given time (but who would pay more if necessary), it doesn't give them any time to counter my higher bid, so it probably ends up saving me some money in some cases. If I bid my maximum at the last second and lose (which rarely happens), then someone else wanted the item more than I did, and that person wins it fair and square. It would have happened anyway had it been a live auction.

If people continue bidding in "overtime" and end up outbidding you, are you really going to be less disappointed about losing than if someone had sniped you? With Classic Auctions, GameWorn Auctions, etc., I absolutely hate going to bed at 1 am leading the auction but not knowing until I wake up if I won or lost. I'd rather just get the bidding over with!

The 5 minute rule does save money, but can also increase headaches. I have actually lost auctions where I tried to snipe because the system would mess up and the timer is not always the most accurate. It's annoying and the last few seconds always turn into chaos and often times I look back at one I lost and wish I could have bid a little higher but thought I could win it with a slightly lower snipe. Snipe forces you to sometimes make quick, stupid decisions going either way. At least with a 5 minute rule, you have time to think a little bit and the person who truly wants it gets it.

For the GW and Classic Auctions auctions, since they have the "all lots close when all lots have not had a bid for x amount of minutes" that means that everyone gets a fair shake. For those the morning of the final day of bidding I just put in my max amount and leave it at that. That way I don't have to worry all night wondering what people are going to try to snipe it at and you don't have scores of people staying up all night trying to snipe each other. Just put your max in bid then and just wait. If someone wants the item more and willing to pay for it then so be it.

Edited by Devilsguy

I personally wasn't saying that sniping is unfair, its perfectly fair under the rules that eBay provides. What I am saying is, those rules would better benefit the seller and eBay themselves if something like the 5 minute rule were employed. It would guarantee the highest item price would be achieved.

Of course, as a buyer, I don't like a 5 minute rule at all, it gives someone else the opportunity to outbid me every time, guaranteeing that I have to spend the maximum price which nobody wants to do.

Just put your max in bid then and just wait. If someone wants the item more and willing to pay for it then so be it.

If that is the tactic you choose, sniping becomes irrelevant anyway. You can always put in your highest number on eBay and hope for the best.

I personally wasn't saying that sniping is unfair, its perfectly fair under the rules that eBay provides. What I am saying is, those rules would better benefit the seller and eBay themselves if something like the 5 minute rule were employed. It would guarantee the highest item price would be achieved.

Of course, as a buyer, I don't like a 5 minute rule at all, it gives someone else the opportunity to outbid me every time, guaranteeing that I have to spend the maximum price which nobody wants to do.

If that is the tactic you choose, sniping becomes irrelevant anyway. You can always put in your highest number on eBay and hope for the best.

True about other people on eBay. However, I hate to see an item on eBay stay at a reasonable price all the way up until the last 20 seconds. On the other auctions, I usually get a feel at where things end up hours before they end so I don't have to worry about keep watching something. IDK just more annoying than anything (and that's on me to feel that way).

Yeah 5 minute rule helps the sellers more than the buyers for sure. I like NHL Auctions system the best with the 5 minute rule. The system GW and Classic Auctions have is a bit excessive. Also not a fan of GW auctions pretty much allowing shill bidding to happen and them acknowledging that they give no bones about it happening.

True about other people on eBay. However, I hate to see an item on eBay stay at a reasonable price all the way up until the last 20 seconds. On the other auctions, I usually get a feel at where things end up hours before they end so I don't have to worry about keep watching something. IDK just more annoying than anything (and that's on me to feel that way).

Yes, its totally annoying when you are the buyer, yet totally appreciated when you are the seller!! I know I have sat watching my items for sale more than once hoping for snipes. And being disappointed when someone does snipe and the bid only goes up by $2.50, as happened to me this weekend.

I've just reported this to a couple of writers in the Philly area. Let's see if they pursue the story.

I do more buying than selling, and I'm not sure I've ever NOT snipped something when I've had the time. Hell, I've even won a few auctions using automated sniping programs. Don't have to deal with shill bidders that way and I very rarely lose out on something I really want.

Edited by JoeM7392

I do more buying than selling, and I'm not sure I've ever NOT snipped something when I've had the time. Hell, I've even won a few auctions using automated sniping programs. Don't have to deal with shill bidders that way and I very rarely lose out on something I really want.

It's totally an effective strategy as a buyer. As a seller, obviously I'd prefer everyone who wants to make a bid have the opportunity to do so.

But yeah, I snipe too.