A bunch of jersey observations from the Devils-Senators game last night

mfitz804

Got a free ticket to the game. Naturally, while I was people watching, I was also checking out jerseys. I am sure a lot of us n this site do that. I made a ton of observations:

What people were wearing:

1. Most people wearing EDGE jerseys have the wrong size, usually way too small. I attribute that to ordering online without accounting for the size difference.

2. The sleeves on EDGE 1.0 jerseys are WAY long. I have ridiculous monkey arms so they fit me pretty well. But I saw a lot of people walking around without hands. Even those whose jerseys were too tight.

3. People are still wearing Kovalchuk jerseys to games. Sacrilege. Although, I did see a fair number of people placing red tape over his name and either replacing it with Ryder (who now wears 17), or some anti-Kovalchuk sentiment ("Commie Traitor" was an interesting one).

4. Almost every woman wearing a jersey had Parise (more acceptable than Kovalchuk even though he left too), Henrique, or Brodeur. Almost exclusively those three guys.

What was for sale:

1. A TON of Premier jerseys. Almost all players available pre-made, and I saw a lot of folks having names heat-pressed on as well. They just don't look right.

2. Very few EDGE jerseys were available, and they were all Indos. This was the first time I saw an Indo, and although I didn't try one on, I didn't see why people hate them so much. I assume if I matched it up with a 2.0 I would be able to see very obvious differences.

3. A whole lot of red and green replica jerseys. I mean a LOT. Every store in the stadium had at least 30, and the main store had at least 50. They were not the regular CCM Vintage series, they were heavier weight and said "Team Classic" inside the collar. Still CCM branded. The fact that there were so many made me wonder if its always like that or if they are just stocking up with vintage jerseys because they are going to wear them in the Stadium Series.

Oh and the Devils won. YES!

You didn't mention anything about the huge number of fakes being worn! :D

That is always the #1 observation when going up games. Seeing all the fakes that people wear.

I go about 15-20 Devils games a season and I see pretty much everything you have seen with the addition of a ton of fakes. There are tons of them there and I think Devils fans are some of the worst offenders in regards to buying those ###### things. 99% of the vintage "edge" throwback jerseys Devils fans wear to the game are fakes.

As for the CCM-branded Team Classics replica vintage Devils jersey, this is the vintage replica they have been selling to the public for the most part since the first retro game was announced in 2010. They are nice but I find them to be kinda long in a sort of M&N sort of sizing so I really do not care for them. Not only that but the Team Classics Devils vintage jersey's crest is a bit off at the part where the wing meets the outer green ring.

I'm not as qualified to spot fakes as some of you guys. But I would have to say that there was a LOT of variation, and a good deal of that is probably due to the jerseys being counterfeit.

I didn't try on a Team Classic jersey since I already have two vintage red (one CCM Vintage series, one actual vintage CCM). But looking at a size XL, it looked HUGE so I wouldn't be surprised by the Mitchell & Ness comparison.

Its all very interesting. For jerseys that haven't really changed other than manufacturer since 1992, there's a LOT of different stuff out there.

I'm not as qualified to spot fakes as some of you guys. But I would have to say that there was a LOT of variation, and a good deal of that is probably due to the jerseys being counterfeit.

I didn't try on a Team Classic jersey since I already have two vintage red (one CCM Vintage series, one actual vintage CCM). But looking at a size XL, it looked HUGE so I wouldn't be surprised by the Mitchell & Ness comparison.

Its all very interesting. For jerseys that haven't really changed other than manufacturer since 1992, there's a LOT of different stuff out there.

The "Team Classics" line is CCM only.

I didn't word that correctly. I was referring to the current colors. They haven't changed since '92 and there are dozens of different variations.

I could have worded that way better, sorry. Third paragraph should have been second.

Going to Joe Louis Arena for a Wings game is the same. MAYBE 1 out of every 20 '09 WC jerseys are legit replicas, and I'd say only about 3 out of 10 of the '14 WC jerseys are legit replicas. The majority of the rest (home/aways) are either awful fakes all around, or they are legit replicas with the most abysmal customization (gotta love the ones with nameplates too).

While I understand not everyone wants to shell out the retarded amount of cash needed for a proper replica (or authentic for that matter), it just kills me to see that the situation is THIS BAD.

Going to Joe Louis Arena for a Wings game is the same. MAYBE 1 out of every 20 '09 WC jerseys are legit replicas, and I'd say only about 3 out of 10 of the '14 WC jerseys are legit replicas. The majority of the rest (home/aways) are either awful fakes all around, or they are legit replicas with the most abysmal customization (gotta love the ones with nameplates too).

While I understand not everyone wants to shell out the retarded amount of cash needed for a proper replica (or authentic for that matter), it just kills me to see that the situation is THIS BAD.

Hawks games at the UC are equally bad or possibly even worse, probably because the indianhead on the fakes is so atrocious that they are ridiculously obvious. Lots of CCM authentics with Chelios, and every edge authentic is either Kane or Toews.

I'd say that fan base in Edmonton has soared passed the 50% mark. At the Oilers game a few weeks ago I saw one legit authentic jersey... and I was blown away. Vast majority of jerseys I see around these days are fake jerseys. It's pretty incredible the league hasn't adjusted it's manufacturing/prices to properly deal with it.

By far the worst thing from that game was the Devils making one of their players wear a Jagr jersey. It's even worse than Devils fans blaming Kovalchuk for bolting when Lou wanted him to bolt so he wouldn't have to pay the rest of his contract with money that they didn't have.

Are the jerseys truly fakes or are they just customized improperly? There are a lot of online and brick and mortar retailers that sell actual Reebok Premiers, but that customize them improperly. The jersey is not entirely "accurate" but it's also not a fake.

Otherwise it is a little numbing to believe that many hockey fans are going online to buy fakes on ebay or bootleg sites.

By far the worst thing from that game was the Devils making one of their players wear a Jagr jersey. It's even worse than Devils fans blaming Kovalchuk for bolting when Lou wanted him to bolt so he wouldn't have to pay the rest of his contract with money that they didn't have.

Jagr scores and Devils beat the Sens. He's a ok in my books.

Yeah that part when he scored the game winning goal, becoming first all time in that stat, that really sucked. I hate when a guy leads the team in scoring.

Yeah that part when he scored the game winning goal, becoming first all time in that stat, that really sucked. I hate when a guy leads the team in scoring.

My post is more of an anti Sens thing then pro Devils.

You should when your team is worse than that semi-pro beer league team from DC.

I haven't been to a hockey game all season because I've been so busy with school, but I usually see fakes as soon as I get off the train and set foot into Penn Station when going to Rangers games. I'm considering going to Rangers-Islanders tomorrow night since I'll be at John Jay registering for classes and I'll be pretty much right there.

Hawks games at the UC are equally bad or possibly even worse, probably because the indianhead on the fakes is so atrocious that they are ridiculously obvious. Lots of CCM authentics with Chelios, and every edge authentic is either Kane or Toews.

Agreed! New Hawks "fans" wear those fugly rags and strut.

I attribute it to the huge boom in new (hopefully temporary) fans.

If I go out to watch a game not only is everyone wearing a CKO but the bar nearest my house raffles one off every game, lame...

I haven't been to a hockey game all season

Don't worry, no one that's been to a Rags game has either.

Agreed! New Hawks "fans" wear those fugly rags and strut.

I attribute it to the huge boom in new (hopefully temporary) fans.

If I go out to watch a game not only is everyone wearing a CKO but the bar nearest my house raffles one off every game, lame...

The politically correct term is "Cubs fans."

You should when your team is worse than that semi-pro beer league team from DC.

Just a couple points out of a playoff spot, better than I expected...

I agree Edge sleeves are too long, but I'm not sure if I agree about the tightness comment. Some people seem to have a crusade against others wearing form fitting jerseys. If you aren't out of shape, or are even only slightly out of shape (aka no beer gut), a form fitting jersey is a lot more fashionable.

I almost NEVER see other Edge jerseys at Ottawa games. I was taken by surprise when I saw another guy in an Ottawa Edge 1.0 jersey. He must have thought I was playing for the other team (not that there's anything wrong with that), but really, I was just visually analyzing the legitimacy of his jersey.

I notice tons of fakes. Which is hilarious, considering Melnyks supposed money issues. If you're not a fan, and are only wearing hockey jerseys because you're into 90's Fubu/Hip Hop culture, wearing a fake jersey makes perfect sense. But if you're a fan, buying a fake jersey makes you look like a complete tool. It's a hilarious contradiciton. A fan jersey is an item purchased to lend support to a team that you follow, so buying a fake one and wearing it is openly advertising people's willingness to not support their own team. Most people buy jerseys not because they need a shirt to wear, but for the psychological need to feel as if they are a part of something.

A surprising number of people have the old Roger Edwards barber pole sweater at Ottawa games.

I've been surprised by the lack of fans wearing the new white heritage jersey.....but I think I attribute that to the fact that there aren't fakes of it out yet.

There's lots of jersey foul in Ottawa. But I don't have a standard to compare it to, so maybe that's normal.

It's always fun to see old school jerseys with obscure players. Given Ottawa is a young franchise, there aren't a lot, but you see them here and there.

I think the issue with the tight Edge jerseys is people buying sizes that used to fit them in the 6100s online.

I agree. Up until a few months ago I never would have known better. I finally tried on my first Premier last week (hated the fit...both L and XL) and still haven't tried an Edge.

Safer to stick with the old CCM and Starter. I know my size there.

Luckily, free agency has virtually destroyed any chance of most players (other than 2-3 marquis names) staying with a team long enough to generate a must have jersey.

Are the jerseys truly fakes or are they just customized improperly? There are a lot of online and brick and mortar retailers that sell actual Reebok Premiers, but that customize them improperly. The jersey is not entirely "accurate" but it's also not a fake.

Otherwise it is a little numbing to believe that many hockey fans are going online to buy fakes on ebay or bootleg sites.

When it comes to the Reebok era, I'm pretty good at spotting fakes. The texture/fabric alone is easy enough to tell a fake by. The fakes with the bad customization almost always have the AWFUL looking twill. The legit replicas with bad customization are decent looking twill, just completely inaccurate font/style wise.

There's lots of jersey foul in Ottawa. But I don't have a standard to compare it to, so maybe that's normal.

The standard bearers in jersey fouls are the Sharks and Caps, which also happen to be the 2 teams that I've gone to see the most.

The worst thing about both arenas is, without fail, there is always at least one random inbred in the crowd wearing a Pens jersey. I have never gone to a game where the Pens were playing.