Winter Classic - Comparison of an Adidas MIC vs. "Indothentic"

Zack845

It's been a few years since I last posted, but hadn't had an itch to scratch on the collecting front... until the B's unveiled their sweater for the 2019 Winter Classic. There was just something about B, the stripes and the colors that I just dug. And I know how traditional the 'Spoked B' has become - but if the B's had (or wanted) to make a change - well I'd be all in favor of them going to this design full time. 

I amassed a decent (i.e. 5) collection of team issued Bruins sweaters, mostly through Jersey Barron - two of the mustard yellows from 2010 at Fenway (one turned into a Bergeron and the other a Bucyk), a black sweater from the Gillette Stadium drubbing by the Canadiens that remains customized, and a white Edge 1.0 made up as a Savard. So I first reached out to the Baron and was told 'Nope, not going to get any of the MIC/team issued stock this year', and immediately tried to ask friends who were agents if any of their players or the equipment manager could get their hands on an extra team issued stock, and had a similar 'sorry, no can do'. Remembering how quickly the 'Authentics' had sold out for the last two B's Winter Classics, I placed an order with the team's pro shop as soon as pre-orders opened, and got a Chara jersey a few weeks before the game. Quality as everyone has noticed, is 'meh' especially compared to the old air knits, and after I got the jersey, I noticed the numbers were one level sublimated (much like the current B's do their regular jerseys) but the C didn't have any stitching around the 'inner' layer, the back number inner layer was fake. and the name was heat pressed. All in all - not really impressed. 

Fast forward to last week and I was invited to the B's/Rangers game for a client event and unexpectedly the Bruins were wearing the 'Winter Classic' style jersey w/o the patch like most of the teams do these days to get some more mileage out of the design. One of my colleagues wanted to pick up a hat on our way out of the game, so we popped into the pro shop after the game and I figured I'd see if they had any of the 'Authentics' where the customizing was a bit more realistic. I stumbled upon something much better. Turns out the Bruins decided to do a short run of autographed 'game issue' sweaters spec'ed for each player. The price wasn't ridiculous considering what team issued stock usually runs if you can find it plus the cost of customization from a team source and then throw an autograph to boot (understanding many of the folks here view that as a negative) and to top it all off - my colleague had a TD bank card - so I scored about 10% off the price. 

TL/DR - Bought an "Authentic" Winter Classic and then lucked into a game issued sweater. Comparing the two is night and day - and I figured I could share a few photos of the differences. If anyone wants any other close up's just give a shout. 

Front of the Game Issue:

Md2UTWh.jpg

Back of Game Issue:

PQc7z6U.jpg

Captain's C on Game Issue: 

STPPVKe.jpg

4zBI0V5.jpg

Captain's C on "Authentic":

9EXguq4.jpg

Back Numbers on Game Issue:

ihgekGw.jpg

srPvmnC.jpg

Back Numbers on "Authentic":

wac25RJ.jpg

Name Plates - "Authentic" on Left and Game Issue on Right:

7R6i3Zx.jpg

Name Plate on Game Issue:

oxrkB09.jpg

Name Plate on "Authentic"

2LkLJk8.jpg

Inside Collar on Game Issue:

hRr7c03.jpg

Inside Collar on "Authentic":

pAdrRga.jpg

Neckline compared:

XX3IoKe.jpg

Under arm material - "Authentic" in back left, Game Issue in front right:

yDzI9Zd.jpg

Collar on Game Issue:

cNlZXvr.jpg

djwcYxP.jpg

Collar on "Authentic"

LqQIFRK.jpg

First off, solid pickup!! Great looking jersey and nice comparison.

I did a similar comparison between the Blackhawks version. It's night and day difference

https://imgur.com/a/1de2zpL#DXG8oQC

I’ll concur, with the only comparison I made being indo=crap, Canada=good. 

I’ve been wearing my Adidas Devils more than any of my others lately. 

7 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

First off, solid pickup!! Great looking jersey and nice comparison.

I did a similar comparison between the Blackhawks version. It's night and day difference

https://imgur.com/a/1de2zpL#DXG8oQC

Thanks! I'm quite stoked to be have been able to get a MIC from this years Winter Classic, and to have it be an actual player spec game issue, all the more so! 

Still so disappointing that Adidas isn't making these available through normal channels. 

Am I wrong, or is it not technically “game issued” if it was add to sell and not for the game?

To me, “Game issued” has the connotation of “prepared for game use by the player, but wasn’t ever actually worn”.

So, I guess in this case it technically wasn’t prepared for use for the actual player. 

14 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

To me, “Game issued” has the connotation of “prepared for game use by the player, but wasn’t ever actually worn”.

So, I guess in this case it technically wasn’t prepared for use for the actual player. 

Right. It’s a signed retail authentic. Which of course is still really cool to have since MIC jerseys aren’t available at retail. 

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Am I wrong, or is it not technically “game issued” if it was add to sell and not for the game?

14 minutes ago, blurryhaze312 said:

I've heard that referred to as "Team Issued" before.

Good question MFitz - the B's Pro Shop was advertising it as a 'Game Issue' jersey and the certificate of authenticity (see below) lists it the same way. I was told the sweaters were prepared to each player's spec for use (they mentioned they only had 2 Chara sweaters available and each was a size 60, the Bergeon I looked at was a size 58, etc.) - the B's only wore this style twice after Jan 1 - on Jan 14 against the Habs and March 27th against the Rangers - so I'd have to assume they had a few extra on hand that weren't going to to see actual game use in the last 5 games of the regular season. I'd take that explanation with a grain of salt since there's no MeiGray tag stitched inside.

But I guess regardless at a minimum, like Blurryhaze suggested, it could be called a 'team issue' instead of 'game issue' since Made in Canada (and size 58, not sure about 60s) sweaters aren't available for retail sale in any form? 

5bykbVH.jpg

Edited by Zack845

Its irrelevant, it doesn't change how great it is either way. 

I suppose, if the team ordered Chara 5 jerseys for the game, he played in 3, and the other two were signed and put up, they could be “game issued”, but then the MeiGray tag..,

Like I said, it doesn’t matter either way. I’m just careful about terms since I was schooled that a jersey worn during the game by a backup goalie can’t be called “game worn, backup only” and must be called “bench worn”. Even though it’s the same thing. 

Good point Mfitz - Probably safer to refer to it as "team issued" or "team stock" regardless of how the team is referring to them - but I don't think "retail authentic" is accurate (if I recall correctly back in the Edge days there were both "retail authentic" and "team stock" which were both Made in Canada, right?). Either way, this beaut isn't going anywhere from my collection, and certainly dig the appreciation you guys have for it regardless.

Never heard of 'bench worn' though, I would have thought 'game worn, backup only' or 'prepared for game use' would be just as accurate. Thanks for sharing that knowledge!

13 minutes ago, Zack845 said:

Never heard of 'bench worn' though, I would have thought 'game worn, backup only' or 'prepared for game use' would be just as accurate. Thanks for sharing that knowledge!

Me either, until then. I mean, it was worn during the game, I thought adding the qualifier “backup only” was sufficient to explain that it, but apparently it wasn’t. 

And you’re right, team issued and retail are different also. We have too many terms for the same or similar things in this hobby. 

In any event, I always love Winter Classic jerseys, and felt customization. 

I think “backup only” is a perfectly acceptable way to describe such a jersey, MFitz. That’s how Meigray lists them. 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I think “backup only” is a perfectly acceptable way to describe such a jersey, MFitz. That’s how Meigray lists them. 🤷‍♂️

I was corrected by someone more knowledgeable than I. And I’m always looking to learn, which was the reason I questioned what the B’s jersey should be called. Not that what you call it makes it more or less cool to have. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:37 PM, Zack845 said:

It's been a few years since I last posted, but hadn't had an itch to scratch on the collecting front... until the B's unveiled their sweater for the 2019 Winter Classic. There was just something about B, the stripes and the colors that I just dug. And I know how traditional the 'Spoked B' has become - but if the B's had (or wanted) to make a change - well I'd be all in favor of them going to this design full time. 

I amassed a decent (i.e. 5) collection of team issued Bruins sweaters, mostly through Jersey Barron - two of the mustard yellows from 2010 at Fenway (one turned into a Bergeron and the other a Bucyk), a black sweater from the Gillette Stadium drubbing by the Canadiens that remains customized, and a white Edge 1.0 made up as a Savard. So I first reached out to the Baron and was told 'Nope, not going to get any of the MIC/team issued stock this year', and immediately tried to ask friends who were agents if any of their players or the equipment manager could get their hands on an extra team issued stock, and had a similar 'sorry, no can do'. Remembering how quickly the 'Authentics' had sold out for the last two B's Winter Classics, I placed an order with the team's pro shop as soon as pre-orders opened, and got a Chara jersey a few weeks before the game. Quality as everyone has noticed, is 'meh' especially compared to the old air knits, and after I got the jersey, I noticed the numbers were one level sublimated (much like the current B's do their regular jerseys) but the C didn't have any stitching around the 'inner' layer, the back number inner layer was fake. and the name was heat pressed. All in all - not really impressed. 

Fast forward to last week and I was invited to the B's/Rangers game for a client event and unexpectedly the Bruins were wearing the 'Winter Classic' style jersey w/o the patch like most of the teams do these days to get some more mileage out of the design. One of my colleagues wanted to pick up a hat on our way out of the game, so we popped into the pro shop after the game and I figured I'd see if they had any of the 'Authentics' where the customizing was a bit more realistic. I stumbled upon something much better. Turns out the Bruins decided to do a short run of autographed 'game issue' sweaters spec'ed for each player. The price wasn't ridiculous considering what team issued stock usually runs if you can find it plus the cost of customization from a team source and then throw an autograph to boot (understanding many of the folks here view that as a negative) and to top it all off - my colleague had a TD bank card - so I scored about 10% off the price. 

TL/DR - Bought an "Authentic" Winter Classic and then lucked into a game issued sweater. Comparing the two is night and day - and I figured I could share a few photos of the differences. If anyone wants any other close up's just give a shout. 

Front of the Game Issue:

Md2UTWh.jpg

Back of Game Issue:

PQc7z6U.jpg

Captain's C on Game Issue: 

STPPVKe.jpg

4zBI0V5.jpg

Captain's C on "Authentic":

9EXguq4.jpg

Back Numbers on Game Issue:

ihgekGw.jpg

srPvmnC.jpg

Back Numbers on "Authentic":

wac25RJ.jpg

Name Plates - "Authentic" on Left and Game Issue on Right:

7R6i3Zx.jpg

Name Plate on Game Issue:

oxrkB09.jpg

Name Plate on "Authentic"

2LkLJk8.jpg

Inside Collar on Game Issue:

hRr7c03.jpg

Inside Collar on "Authentic":

pAdrRga.jpg

Neckline compared:

XX3IoKe.jpg

Under arm material - "Authentic" in back left, Game Issue in front right:

yDzI9Zd.jpg

Collar on Game Issue:

cNlZXvr.jpg

djwcYxP.jpg

Collar on "Authentic"

LqQIFRK.jpg

Nice jersey. The MIC's are definately much higher quality. I have a few myself. I just dont like them for everyday wear because of the doubled elbows. The Indos have much more comfortable sleeves to wear around. My MICs are pretty much just collectables. If i walked around with elbow pads it would be a little different. Any way I much prefer the reebok 6100 and Edge 2.0. Thats mainly what I collect. Im up to 347 jerseys and my wife has 320 something...lmfao. ADDICTION ST ITS FINEST. CHEERS

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

47898671221_6f8794724c_b.jpg

Great Scott!!!