Edge 2.0 Nhl Shield discrepancies?

Bears1000

I noticed that my two edge 2.0 Hawks jerseys have different NHL shields. The white jersey has more of felt type feeling to it and seems to be heat pressed or glued on. The red jersey is the typical style that I'm used to. Anyone seen the first one before?

I'm 100% sure both jerseys are authentic, but I can provide more pics if needed.

bN5bSQH.jpg

RbppbNJ.jpg

To add to this; I believe these Lextra shields first appeared during the 2013-14 season and from what I remember they were first applied to the Stadium Series / Winter Classic jerseys that were used that year.  Since then I believe most, if not all, special event jerseys had these style shields since then.  As for the regular home/away jerseys, I believe some teams moved onto them while others didn't.

The reason why they were introduced was in response to complaints from players that the tips of the shield were sticking into their neck causing discomfort.  In fact, some players have been known to have the top tips of the shield clipped off to combat this.  I know on the Devils that Bryce Salvador had these done quite frequently on his jerseys.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

To add to this; I believe these Lextra shields first appeared during the 2013-14 season and from what I remember they were first applied to the Stadium Series / Winter Classic jerseys that were used that year.  Since then I believe most, if not all, special event jerseys had these style shields since then.  As for the regular home/away jerseys, I believe some teams moved onto them while others didn't.

The reason why they were introduced was in response to complaints from players that the tips of the shield were sticking into their neck causing discomfort.  In fact, some players have been known to have the top tips of the shield clipped off to combat this.  I know on the Devils that Bryce Salvador had these done quite frequently on his jerseys.

I make EPS sew mine down when I have a jersey customized. The shield itself is sewn, but not to the edges, the stitching is further in, allowing all edges of the shield to pop up. Sewing down the edges resolves this issue completely. Plus, nobody objects to it on resale (of an authentic jersey, I wouldn't alter a game worn), whereas clipping the points on the shield isn't well received (tried it on the first Edge jersey or two I had). 

These shields have actually been used prior to 2013/14- I remember first seeing them on the 2011 All-Star jerseys, and then regularly on Nashville’s jerseys since the 2011/12 season.

5 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

These shields have actually been used prior to 2013/14- I remember first seeing them on the 2011 All-Star jerseys, and then regularly on Nashville’s jerseys since the 2011/12 season.

I stand corrected then.  The Nashville part does sound vaguely familiar to me as well.  However I didn't know/remember about the 2011 ASG jerseys (I believe you lol).

I prefer the Lextra shields myself for jerseys I wear to games.  I like how they feel.

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I make EPS sew mine down when I have a jersey customized. The shield itself is sewn, but not to the edges, the stitching is further in, allowing all edges of the shield to pop up. Sewing down the edges resolves this issue completely. Plus, nobody objects to it on resale (of an authentic jersey, I wouldn't alter a game worn), whereas clipping the points on the shield isn't well received (tried it on the first Edge jersey or two I had). 

Do they charge extra for the service to sew them down?  I'd imagine not since it is a quick little thing to do when you are already having the rest of the jersey done.  I never thought of asking them to do that.

14 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Do they charge extra for the service to sew them down?  I'd imagine not since it is a quick little thing to do when you are already having the rest of the jersey done.  I never thought of asking them to do that.

Have you dealt with EPS? lol

$6.50, same price as sewing down a patch, even though its already in place. Just me finding ways to spend even more money on customizing jerseys, I suppose. 

16 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

However I didn't know/remember about the 2011 ASG jerseys (I believe you lol).

i did own a 2011 ASG at one point and can confirm it was a Lextra shield. 

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

...from what I remember they were first applied to the Stadium Series / Winter Classic jerseys that were used that year.  Since then I believe most, if not all, special event jerseys had these style shields since then. 

The only Hawks jerseys of mine that have the Lextra shields are outdoor game jerseys. 

9 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

The only Hawks jerseys of mine that have the Lextra shields are outdoor game jerseys. 

Same here, currently.  I did have a road one with a Lextra shield like @gwarjis is posting about, but I sold it.  I can't remember the born-on date exactly, but I think it was early 2017 - late enough that I was surprised they were even made, given that the Adidas switch was old news at that point.  Got it from the ebay seller that was lots of discussion of here for a while... authenticsports19?  He had a bunch, and they were cheap.

Edited by furiousd

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

Same here, currently.  I did have a road one with a Lextra shield like @gwarjis is posting about, but I sold it.  I can't remember the born-on date exactly, but I think it was early 2017 - late enough that I was surprised they were even made, given that the Adidas switch was old news at that point.  Got it from the ebay seller that was big news here for a while... authenticsports19?  He had a bunch, and they were cheap.

I guess I have NWT Hartman 56 road for sale now, lol. 

I do think the Lextra shield was the nicest option out there which is a shame it didn't stick around for long. The new rubber Adidas patch will surely look like crap after a handful of washes and a few years of age. 

FWIW, I have several GW Adidas jerseys and their shields look brand new. One of them was worn for 20+ games and was presumably washed 20+ times.