Adidas Won the NHL Contract

dsl135

It seems this should be a moot point... wouldn't the decision come down to individual teams? I can't see one of the original six being like sure, we'll change a design we'very stuck with for 50+ years.

At the end of the day, I feel the owners would have to have a major say in this and it seems pretty unanimous that they are against it.

Then again, most of the AHL ones are... not overly terrible... but I wouldn't want a Pepsi patch on my Hawks jersey...

How about putting a patch on the pants or a sticker on the helmet? Just keep that crap off the jerseys.

It seems this should be a moot point... wouldn't the decision come down to individual teams? I can't see one of the original six being like sure, we'll change a design we'very stuck with for 50+ years.

At the end of the day, I feel the owners would have to have a major say in this and it seems pretty unanimous that they are against it.

Then again, most of the AHL ones are... not overly terrible... but I wouldn't want a Pepsi patch on my Hawks jersey...

That brings an interesting question of who exactly owns or produces the design of the jersey. I always assumed that the owners had the final say. Take Buffalos last abortion of a third set. I don't think Reebok went to them and said "here's your New Jersey, fans will love it"?

I for one think it's retarded to mess with putting advertisements on the uniform, look at how ridiculous the European jerseys look. This isn't Nascar who is dependent on sponsorship, they are individually owned teams. As for Adidas making the jerseys it won't last, historically it hasn't. You have a company that has no history outside Reebok and now they only lasted 5 years? I'd be more concerned at this point that the jerseys will be made in Vietnam or Indonesia rather than Canada.

Edited by LessThanZero

I'm not sure on that last point. Maybe retail shirts will be produced overseas, but I'm still under the impression that the jerseys produced for the league will most likely be done through Sport Maska or SP. In both the NFL and NHL, it's often been the case that an American or Canadian company makes the jerseys, just for the big corporate sponsor to slap their logo on.

I'm not sure on that last point. Maybe retail shirts will be produced overseas, but I'm still under the impression that the jerseys produced for the league will most likely be done through Sport Maska or SP. In both the NFL and NHL, it's often been the case that an American or Canadian company makes the jerseys, just for the big corporate sponsor to slap their logo on.

I assume this is in response to my post. I've never seen anything that Adidas produces that is made in North America. I'm sure that some of it is, but I've never seen it. My point that I was trying to interject was it would be a disservice to the NHL and the fans to have the professional series jerseys produced in Communist Vietnam or a sweat shop in Indonesia, Pakistan, or some other TWC. I would hope that since Reebok produced them, or had them produced for them in Canada and the relationship between Adidas and Reebok that this would be a practice they continue. But as business models go, and more and more companies looking to have products produced overseas, I wouldn't be surprised if the Adidas jerseys are tagged "Manufactured in Vietnam" and so on.

The bottom line is this, it's a financial bottom line issue. If a company can produce a product for $10.00 overseas and the same product would cost $15.00 to produce in the U.S or Canada, they will choose (right or wrong) to produce it overseas. I have no idea how many "authentic" jerseys are sold worldwide, but I'd imagine that it's enough to make a profit. Hence if they could save $5.00 on each unit produced, every 100 sold is $500 in savings.

Of course this may and probably is all speculation on my part, but as life goes, never say never.

ETA: I would think the NHL has a standards division for the production of jerseys and how the quality and production should be? I don't know, it would make sense that they would.

Edited by LessThanZero

I can't possibly see anything worn on-ice by an NHL club NOT being made in Canada.

I agree, and I believe they will be made in Canada. However, who would ever think that Adidas would be producing NHL jerseys?

However, who would ever think that Adidas would be producing NHL jerseys?

Because that has never happened before:

54461961534731-vi.jpg

Edited by thebiggoalie

Well, to be fair, they didn't produce them back then. They just paid to have their logo on the butt. Same thing with the Kappa All-Star jerseys.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/21/adidas-nhl-jerseys-friedman/

I think this pretty much sums up all of the relevant details: Adidas owns Reebok and CCM, so I doubt the changes would be that radical

And yeah, it doesn't seem like anyone wants advertisements on the jerseys. Bettman may get booed, but I think he knows if that happened on his watch he'd be assassinated lol

Well, to be fair, they didn't produce them back then. They just paid to have their logo on the butt. Same thing with the Kappa All-Star jerseys.

That's what I figured, but it's proof enough that they've been visible in the hockey market before.

As a side-note, that Kings gamer looks like a predecessor for the NHL's current attempt at incorporating sponsorship logos on their jerseys.

I agree, and I believe they will be made in Canada. However, who would ever think that Adidas would be producing NHL jerseys?

They don't. They wouldn't have the manufacturing capability for it. They have a Canadian jersey manufacturer make the jerseys, and have the Adidas logo put on after the fact. My school's hockey team is a great example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252047196335

SP jersey + Adidas uniform contract

I can't possibly see anything worn on-ice by an NHL club NOT being made in Canada.

My only (marginal) concern is the potential for retail jerseys not being made by the on-ice supplier anymore, like with what Reebok tried to do with the Indo-Edge and what they did do with the 'authentic' NFL jerseys

Edited by AngeloS76

If these jerseys were any indication, if the NHL goes back to FloKnit, it won't be Edge cut. Also, I still can't get over the CCM branding on the jersey of a competing manufacturer. I guess that's what happens when everything goes corporate.

http://beckett-www.s3.amazonaws.com/news/news-content/uploads/2015/01/ANA_Pregame_043.jpg

SP has been an OEM for CCM/Reebok for many years. Because adidas own (owns, owns) both, that doesn't mean things will change moving forward with SP.

Also, CCM branding on the jersey of a competing manufacturer? How so? There's been a push from up top at adidas to go towards CCM at the minor pro level and so why not do it on the NHL jersey as well, although, we may or may not see it. All that's been announced is that adidas won the new contract moving forward. I think it is fair to assume that they will most likely brand the NHL jerseys adidas, although, who knows, maybe they'll brand third jerseys CCM, should they decide to keep the brand.

Last, not sure if you know, however, adidas has MANY domestic (Canada & U.S.) factories that can make the on-ice jerseys...

SP has been an OEM for CCM/Reebok for many years. Because adidas own (owns, owns) both, that doesn't mean things will change moving forward with SP.

Also, CCM branding on the jersey of a competing manufacturer? How so? There's been a push from up top at adidas to go towards CCM at the minor pro level and so why not do it on the NHL jersey as well, although, we may or may not see it. All that's been announced is that adidas won the new contract moving forward. I think it is fair to assume that they will most likely brand the NHL jerseys adidas, although, who knows, maybe they'll brand third jerseys CCM, should they decide to keep the brand.

Last, not sure if you know, however, adidas has MANY domestic (Canada & U.S.) factories that can make the on-ice jerseys...

Good insights. Nothing is set in stone, of course, but as hobbyists we can speculate and hack at our keyboards 'til our fingers fall off.

Though here's a question for you - how long has SP done work for CCM-Reebok? I was under the impression that SP and Sport Maska were separate entities, as indicated by their distinct knit styles.

• 3 months later...

Adidas looking to sell off Reebok-CCM brand....again....

http://nypost.com/2015/12/01/adidas-looking-to-sell-off-hockey-brand-ccm/