Putting a goalie on a non-goalie-cut jersey...is this a foul?

LAK79

Put a goalie's name and number on an authentic, non-goalie cut?

I've seen posts where people mention that the stitching pattern on numbers isn't exactly like an on-ice version, or that a player shouldn't be on a particular jersey because they didn't play for the team when a certain tail logo was used. So given that level of attention to detail, is it a foul to customize a non-goalie cut jersey with a goalie's name and number?

Just to clarify, this isn't about getting down on another hockey fan who wants to support his/her favorite player. I'm asking purely from a collector's point of view and jersey accuracy. Would you do it?

I'm miles away from being a legit collector, but I would definitely avoid it. It's somehow like putting a certain car model tag on the wrong car and turning a BMW 5 into a 7.

I've put a goalie on a skater jersey a number of times; it doesn't really bother me. I'm not saying it should not be considered a foul, I'm just not bothered by it, and I don't really care if others consider it a foul or not. Because of the small size jerseys I wear, I wouldn't come close to fitting in a goalie-cut even if I could find one. It's not like there's a whole lot of goalie-cut jerseys available anyway.

I plan on doing it, since I wear all of mine and don't want to fight the trash bag sleeves of a goalie cut. Sure, I've thought about buying one but when it comes down to it, the novelty isn't worth the money for a shirt I ultimately can't wear. I'm gonna have enough issues with that size 52 6100 that's gonna be a Fleury. At 6' 165lbs a goalie cut just doesn't sound feasible to me.

But it all boils down to how specific you want to be. I avoid tags (ie wordmark vs vector), brands they didn't wear, Cs or As that don't belong. As long as the font and materials are accurate and it fulfills those others its a go in my book.

Weird, the Toronto Maple Leafs have the exact opposite problem, they like to put authentic, goalie-cut jerseys with a goalie name and number on non-goalies and start them in goal.

Since getting into gamers I'm far less bothered about achieving total accuracy for most of the retail authentics in my collection; have the correct customizer letter it up for the correct era and unless there's anything glaringly wrong I'm fine. If it's particularly old, or rare then it becomes important but I'm not going to worry about the odd errant stitch here and there, especially when you see the state of the stitching on some game worns.

Ultimately it's each individual's preference as to what they consider a foul. If you're detailed enough to decide you're only putting goalie names on goalie jerseys then you might as well also make sure they're the right size (did they wear 58G or 60G?). Similarly, if you're going with full authenticity then putting anyone on a standard size 50 jersey is going to be a foul too.

That said, putting a non-goalie on a goalie cut would be very weird, so I guess it doesn't work both ways for me!

I've done it. I want to wear them so that's what I do. It doesn't make sense. By that logic, no players name should go on any jersey other than one in their size. I'm not going to limit my choices that way.

it's no big deal, I collect goalie cuts but I have put goalies on "player size" shirts.

Goalie cuts are harder to come by, so you have to make do.

That being said, if I have a chance to acquire a goalie cut to replace an existing jersey that I have in a regular cut, i will do so to "correct it"

That said, putting a non-goalie on a goalie cut would be very weird, so I guess it doesn't work both ways for me!

While few and far between, players have been seen wearing goalie-cut jerseys, fyi.

And while rare in today's NHL, back in the day many goalies wore regular cut jerseys, even when goalie-cut jerseys were available.

Being a goalie who suffers from OCD, even I don't care if I put a goalie's name on a players jersey. I'm not going to be wearing it over my gear on the ice, so it doesn't matter to me, and if you're only wearing it to a game, wearing a garbage bag gets in the way of pounding beers and eating nachos.

Being a goalie who suffers from OCD, even I don't care if I put a goalie's name on a players jersey. I'm not going to be wearing it over my gear on the ice, so it doesn't matter to me, and if you're only wearing it to a game, wearing a garbage bag gets in the way of pounding beers and eating nachos.

Aren't we supposed to take our jerseys off before eating anyway??

Don't question goalies and their superstitions. THAT is a foul. ;)

Not in my universe. It's like game wear in non-athletic terms. Next time you drop nachos or chili on you think of it like a stick mark or board burn. :thumbsup: I won't eat certain foods in my more prized jerseys, but otherwise it's fair game.

Oh man, maybe I should change my profile name?!?

When I ask something in the forum like "what's a jersey?" I don't want people confusing me with LAK74 and negatively affecting his rep!!

Also, never mind inception, based on LAK74 phenomenal response time and serious knowledge, I'm convinced he's actually a computer program. So I'm think it's more like the matrix.."whoa, I know hockey jerseys."

Oh man, maybe I should change my profile name?!?

When I ask something in the forum like "what's a jersey?" I don't want people confusing me with LAK74 and negatively affecting his rep!!

Also, never mind inception, based on LAK74 phenomenal response time and serious knowledge, I'm convinced he's actually a computer program. So I'm think it's more like the matrix.."whoa, I know hockey jerseys."

Nah, you're like the Mike Richter to his Vanbiebrouck - sure LAK74's extremely knowledgable and experienced, and we really do appreciate the fact he's carried entire threads on his back all by himself, but despite his better/proven record, you're younger, so we don't mind trading him away for a bag of pucks :D

Weird, the Toronto Maple Leafs have the exact opposite problem, they like to put authentic, goalie-cut jerseys with a goalie name and number on non-goalies and start them in goal.

They're also putting authentic player jerseys on pylons, paying the pylon 7 mil a year and naming the pylon captain.

I'd say it's fine. I'm a goalie myself, but I don't buy my collection to be worn over my gear. That being said, I wear a 46 so that would be a bit of a disaster anyways and a goal cut without gear would look like I'm wearing a bed sheet.

Nah, you're like the Mike Richter to his Vanbiebrouck - sure LAK74's extremely knowledgable and experienced, and we really do appreciate the fact he's carried entire threads on his back all by himself, but despite his better/proven record, you're younger, so we don't mind trading him away for a bag of pucks :D

Maybe I oughta change my avatar photo to this, lol.

image_zpsfe7821bd.jpg

Definitely not a foul.

Frankly, to me, this would be like saying "oh Giroux wears a 52 so its a foul to put him on any size other than that"

Definitely not a foul.

Frankly, to me, this would be like saying "oh Giroux wears a 52 so its a foul to put him on any size other than that"

I feel like I've seen some people say things like this.

To repeat what others have already said, of course I'd put a goalie on a non-goalie cut shirt. I wear 46's in EDGE. WHAT CHOICE DO I HAVE???????