Cutting Edge Sports Experience - Woburn, MA

PenguinsChronicles.com

About 6-7 weeks ago, I ordered a 2008-09 Sidney Crosby Road lettering kit from Cutting Edge Sports for a blank size 56 Penguins 2.0 jersey that I have from that season. The cost was $50 plus $12 shipping. No problem.

The kit comes a couple of weeks later and it looks very nice. The only issue I have is with the nameplate. The outside edge was cut very unevenly and, having made nameplates myself for other Penguins jerseys, is not something that I considered quality work. I called Cutting Edge and spoke with the lady and asked for a replacement. She said no problem, send it back. I sent it back a few days later and earlier this week I received my replacement nameplate.

The new nameplate had the letters of the name much closer together, the Air-Knit material was not the standard Reebok 2.0 material that the original plate had been sewn on to, and the outside of the plate was surged.

So I called again this morning and very politely explained that I'd like to get another replacement and pointed out what I was dissatisfied with. She became upset and said that humans put the kits together and they aren't perfect. I told her that I understood and that I've done customizing work myself so I know what quality work looks like. I told her if nothing else, I'd rather have the original nameplate than the one that I received this week.

She went on another short rant and said that she "remembers people like me" and reiterated that "humans" put the kits together so it's not going to match perfectly to another example. Before I could respond, she hung up.

I'll post pictures of the second plate that I received later today, but I wanted to share my experience with others here.

I'd be contacting my credit card company...

I understand that we can all be annoying with our minute details, but these don't sound minute, and at the very least, with you being polite, there was no need for her to be so rude.

The typical response I have seen others give is that you should send pics along with your order to show them exactly what you want otherwise it's a poop shoot.

I sent two Pens jerseys to them about two years ago and was very happy with the final product. However, when you call them, it's little old ladies that you're dealing with, and after a while, they just get tired of all the little details you're expecting. I once called them and asked what material they used for the nameplates for the 2009 Stanley Cup run, and the ladies answer was "whatever was available at the time ". She couldn't be bothered, but I'm also a firm believer that not ever jersey from every season uses exactly the same material when jerseys have to be thrown together in a hurry for players on the ice.

I only sent the two jerseys because they were 2008 and a 2011 Winter Classics and didn't want to take a chance anywhere else, but after sending two Reebok 6100's to EPS last year, I think I would just go with EPS from here on out for any non-special, regular style jersey. Compared to my gamers, I'm content with the result.

Yeah Cutting Edge does brutally sloppy work. Nearly everything I collect in terms of gamers has come from them and its just comical. They've done some authentics for me and its all been smooth so I am definitely sorry that happened to you. Frankly I'd do like he said and dispute it with the card company. If they want to be dicks, be a back.

Mind putting up a picture of what your current nameplate looks like?

And thebiggoalie hit it right on the head. There's three or so little old ladies in there banging-out literal piles of shirts. It comes as no surprise that your nameplate came out rushed, but it may very well be accurate to what they supplied to the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting these posted, but here's what I received from Cutting Edge on the replacement plate...

crosbyplate1.jpg

You'll notice the surged top and bottom and no surge on the sides as well as a shoddy cut job on the right side of the nameplate. The material is more like Pro Player air-knit rather than Reebok Air-Knit as well. The original Crosby plate that I received was done nicely, but it was cut very poorly around the letters. The spacing on the nameplate above is also too bunched together.

Here's what the real nameplates look like:

bathgateplate1.jpg

The nameplates we receive from CCM/Reebok and SP are serged both top and bottom. The CROSBY plate actually looks to be SP Flo Knit fabric.

Sorry for the delay in getting these posted, but here's what I received from Cutting Edge on the replacement plate...

crosbyplate1.jpg

You'll notice the surged top and bottom and no surge on the sides as well as a shoddy cut job on the right side of the nameplate. The material is more like Pro Player air-knit rather than Reebok Air-Knit as well. The original Crosby plate that I received was done nicely, but it was cut very poorly around the letters. The spacing on the nameplate above is also too bunched together.

Here's what the real nameplates look like:

bathgateplate1.jpg

The nameplate you show on the bottom (BATHGATE) is cut from an airknit jersey and, is running the wrong direction for a nameplate. This is a north/south cut up the jersey, from what appears to be a CCM 10100 practice jersey, or even an AK practice jersey. Take this from someone who has done this exact thing before in a pinch and thought that nobody would notice (which they didn't).

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

Hmmm good thing I didn't send in my wild wing jersey to them. I would have been really dissapointed with them if they had messed up on it. They were very short with me when I emailed them about it. It made me question them so I chose not to send it in. Hopefully you get better QUALITY somewhere els.

Well, you would have gotten the wrong font out of them anyway, as they were not the ones who made the font for the Mighty Ducks that year.

Those shirts were done by the man who currently owns Bobcat Athletic in Huntington Park CA. Junkyard can confirm, since he was the one to provide that info.

^ He did do them back in the day, but I believe he does not have the original font currently in his possession. He does have the BK though.

Those shirts were done by the man who currently owns Bobcat Athletic in Huntington Park CA. Junkyard can confirm, since he was the one to provide that info.

Si