How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

11 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Typically what I do is put 2 -3 scoops of Oxi-Clean in a bucket. I spray warm water from my kitchen sink to get it to foam up ( I know some would say use cold - I'm just saying what I do )

Warm water for 20-30 minutes shouldn't hurt a jersey, it isn't hot enough nor long enough to loosen glue. And it'll help fight the stains better as well. 

I'd suggest that for those who fear washing their jerseys, that is the EXACT right time to put the jersey in the washer, get it good and clean and fully rinses out, which is hard to do with a sink rinsing. Its already saturated, might as well put it in the wash and finish the job.

Inside out, gentle cycle, low spin, cold water. Use your regular detergent. Done. 

Most don't need ironing, in my opinion, but when they do, Hockey Bob has that right too. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Most don't need ironing, in my opinion, but when they do, Hockey Bob has that right too. 

Good point, I meant to say - only do the ironing over the areas where the previous numbers were to flatten out the raised areas post strip job. I should've clarified, it's not necessary for the rest of the jersey.

I also forgot to mention - use the Goof off on the glue areas prior to the Oxi Clean bath and ironing to get the glue out. 
Goof off smells bad and the Oxi Clean bath kills some of that smell but most times after it airs out the smell fades away.

Edited by Hockey Bob

1 minute ago, Hockey Bob said:

Good point, I meant to say - only do the ironing over the areas where the previous numbers were to flatten out the raised areas post strip job. I should've clarified, it's not necessary for the rest of the jersey.

I also forgot to mention - use the Goof off on the glue areas prior to the Oxi Clean bath to get the glue out. 
Goof off smells bad and the Oxi Clean bath kills some of that smell but most times after it airs out the smell fades away.

And mind your temperature setting, if one digs for it, one of our board members once ironed through the back of an Edge jersey, resulting in a very creative fix. 

They say use Goof Off in a ventilated area for a reason. The one time I used it, I didn't, and I felt like I was smelling it for like 3 days after. 

Edited by mfitz804

I've been ironing on the cotton setting, full steam, with a t-shirt in between the iron and the jersey.  Works perfect and you don't need to worry as much about scorching the jersey fabric.

13 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I've been ironing on the cotton setting, full steam, with a t-shirt in between the iron and the jersey.  Works perfect and you don't need to worry as much about scorching the jersey fabric.

Yup that works. The only thing I've found it doesn't work well on is deep impressions in the crest. For a while, all of my EPS jerseys were coming back with deep impressions in the exact same place, not sure why. Happened on like 4 orders in a row, same spot, virtually the same angle. Ironing through another item (I use a pillowcase) just wouldn't make it come out, but as soon as I did it directly on the twill, problem instantly solved. 

Anybody have a contact that specializes in jersey cleaning?  I have a super old white jersey that is pretty beat up with puck marks and some weird staining under the back number that the usual methods arn’t having any effect on.  

I want it cleaned up as best as possible before I put my new stuff on it.

I've got a few of those. 
I tried the Oxi Clean soak with detergent and it stayed grey, I gave up and sent it to Brilliant to throw a player on it. 

He must have magic water or something because he said once through the wash and it came clean. 

25 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've got a few of those. 
I tried the Oxi Clean soak with detergent and it stayed grey, I gave up and sent it to Brilliant to throw a player on it. 

He must have magic water or something because he said once through the wash and it came clean. 

Makes you whites whiter...Brilliant!!

15 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

Anybody have a contact that specializes in jersey cleaning?  I have a super old white jersey that is pretty beat up with puck marks and some weird staining under the back number that the usual methods arn’t having any effect on.  

I want it cleaned up as best as possible before I put my new stuff on it.

I do.  I'll PM you.

Well, I’m going to try the simple route first and see what some acetone does to the glue residue. Is there a particular method to applying it? I was thinking of just grabbing a bottle of my mom’s nail polish remover and using the brush, assuming that it is acetone rather than something else. 

52 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Wait!!!
I wanna know too!! :D

I'll PM you the info (assuming you really want to know).

Edited by jsh139

• 2 months later...

That depends on what it is.

I bet it would come out with a little goof off or acetone and a good soak.

If not...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-BOSTON-BRUINS-CAM-NEELY-PRO-JERSEY-CREST-PATCH/122942801326 

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t work for my jersey, since it’s a 95-96. Plus, that crest would cost the same as what I paid for the jersey. 😂

Edited by TheKevinShow

3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

That depends on what it is.

I bet it would come out with a little goof off or acetone and a good soak

Wouldn’t try just washing it first? My gut is that won’t come out in the laundry, but do you not even try?

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn’t try just washing it first? My gut is that won’t come out in the laundry, but do you not even try?

I guess I was assuming it was already washed and still stained. 
It looks like a blood stain to me, so a wash may not get it out. 

Being where it is and that it's on twill I might try a bleach pen too 

11 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I guess I was assuming it was already washed and still stained. 
It looks like a blood stain to me, so a wash may not get it out. 

Being where it is and that it's on twill I might try a bleach pen too 

I’m with you, it doesn’t look like it’s coming out, I just always start from the mildest to the harshest. 

My first step would be a little Dawn on a wet towel/rag. If it doesn’t budge at all, it’s not coming out by laundry. If it does start coming out, you may not need to resort to chemicals. 

4 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

I scored this Bruins jersey for cheap, fully aware that this stain was on it.

hXsKZEP.jpg

Is this fixable?

In the event that it isn't fixable I need the shoulder patches for a black Ultrafil I want to make into a Neely :)

Be careful with goof off or acetone on that crest. They might soak through and loosen the glue on the other layers/side. Which could cause its own problems. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I washed it and it’s still there. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

In the event that it isn't fixable I need the shoulder patches for a black Ultrafil I want to make into a Neely :)

Yeah, worst case scenario I’ve got material for nameplates.

• 1 month later...

What is the general consensus these days for getting those stains that look like grease out of white jerseys? I've seen a few tips in this thread, however what works best?

48954148122_5e153c61af.jpg