Appreciating the Reebok Edge 1.0

mfitz804

I’ve got just one in my collection. I’ve listed it on eBay several times recently, but I keep pulling it down.

Because, and get ready for an unpopular opinion...I like wearing it.

I can understand why players would not want to play in one, but from a fan perspective, the material is very soft and comfortable. It’s not as “Jersey like” as other fabrics, but honestly, I can’t think of a thing about it I don’t like.

So what’s with all the 1.0 hate out there?

43736262780_c910f217e2_b.jpg

43736262640_80df838ca0_b.jpg

I don’t like them.  That bubble mesh (or Xtrafil, I can’t remember which is which) that’s on the front is extremely snagable and too soft. Combine that with the single-layer elbows and tight sleeves and they just feel cheap to me. 

2 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I don’t like them.  That bubble mesh (or Xtrafil, I can’t remember which is which) that’s on the front is extremely snagable and too soft. Combine that with the single-layer elbows and tight sleeves and they just feel cheap to me. 

Again, I’m not talking about their worth for game use, or even as collectibles. Just as something for a fan to wear.

That said, too soft for what?? What do you need double elbows for on the street? Mine’s a goalie cut, so tight sleeves aren’t an issue, but I’ve owned a player cut and had no problem with the sleeves, they clearly aren’t any thinner than regular clothing. 

I dunno. The fabric just feels weird. And it’s staticy, if that make sense. Clings too much and picks up a ton of lint/hair. 

As for the lack of double-elbows I meant that from a pure value for your money standpoint, haha. 

I never liked the fit (I am curvy and voluptuous :D) and the narrow body is not flattering
Plus, they are really light weight, I love slipping into a heavy Ultrafil 6100 style and feeling like I am wearing something.

Just holding a 1.0 vs an Ultrafil - the difference in weight makes the 1.0's feel cheap

Since we are on the topic, when did the NHL switch from the 1.0's to the 2.0's?
Didn't they have a 2.0 with the vector or was the switch signaled with the change from the vector to the wordmark?

A friend and I were discussing the Hawks jersey's from 2007-08 with the WWW patch and I thought I read they switched mid-season because of player complaints but not sure which year.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong / still asleep.  

10 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I never liked the fit (I am curvy and voluptuous :D) and the narrow body is not flattering
Plus, they are really light weight, I love slipping into a heavy Ultrafil 6100 style and feeling like I am wearing something.

Just holding a 1.0 vs an Ultrafil - the difference in weight makes the 1.0's feel cheap

Didn't they have a 2.0 with the vector or was the switch signaled with the change from the vector to the wordmark?

A friend and I were discussing the Hawks jersey's from 2007-08 with the WWW patch and I thought I read they switched mid-season because of player complaints but not sure which year.

The fit is not great for those of us who are “goalie cut”. The GC jersey that I have, of course, eliminates that. 

They are lighter weight as well. Personally I like having some different weights so I can wear the lighter ones as the weather gets warmer. 

And, I will add, if sizing and lightness are one’s concern, the new Adidas are both cut slimmer and made from lighter weight material than the 2.0, and probably the 1.0 as well. Yet all the Adidas hate is focused on Indos. 

9 hours ago, furiousd said:

It's been years since I've even seen a 1.0, because I didn't like the fit or the fabric.  The body fabric reminded me of a microfiber cleaning cloth.  That's not a compliment.

Maybe you aren't, but I know I'm pulling for a MiC Norwex 2021 Hawks WC jersey. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

The switch from 1.0 to 2.0 was a phase-in process that spanned multiple seasons, depending on team and multiple factors.  It began in 2007-08, and was pretty much done by 2010-11, although some holdouts like Martin Erat continued with a 1.0 past that point.

Most teams continued using 1.0 in the preseason just because they had the stock on hand, but that's not across the board.

I also have one 1.0 in my collection. It was my first edge jersey; an original black alternate Blackhawks customized with Toews. It is comfortable and I actually love the xtrafil material (shoulders/elbows) although I dislike how long the sleeves are and how much more prone the front is to snags.

I've considered getting rid of it on multiple occasions, but being my only 1.0, a player other than Kane, and the rarity of 1.0 blacks on the market, I keep it in the collection. Couldn't tell you the last time I wore it. Easily 5 years ago.

Regarding Bob's comment about ultrafil, nothing beats that stuff. All older sports jerseys had a substantial weight to them which made you feel like you're getting something for your money. All this lightweight nonsense is great to play in, but you're paying so much money for something that doesn't feel substantial. I wish Reebok created a jersey entirely out of ultrafil/xtrafil. I've grown to much prefer the modern, tapered cut of Reebok (and Adidas to an extent), but always prefer the feel (and warmth) of a classic ultrafil. Now THAT is an ambitious project I should tackle; creating a modern fitting ultrafil jersey...

The Hawks wore both 1.0 and 2.0 during the 2007/2008 season. Depended on the time of year and the player.

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/2007_08_Craig_Adams_Chicago_Blackhawks_Game_Worn_Jersey_WWW_Photo_Match_Team_Letter-6545-154.html

another 2.0

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/chicago-blackhawks-07-08-game-worn-457307754

1.0 Hull tribute warmup

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/2007_08_Andrew_Ladd_Chicago_Blackhawks_Pre_Game_Skate_Worn_Jersey_WWW_Bobby_Hull_9_Team_Letter-9630-209.html

The description says 2.0, but the sleeve photo definitely looks like a 1.0

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bryan-bickell-chicago-blackhawks-game-457858903

I bought a Red 1.0 training camp jersey with the WWW patch.
Stripped it and wanted to get Kane put on it (rookie jersey) but Tom at CSL told me that Kane wore a smaller size and if I wanted it to be accurate I should make it into a Toews
I ended up taking his advice but I still want a Kane rookie.
I never wear it because they are so flim flam and I want to keep it nice.
If anyone has a white one with the WWW patch they no longer need, I know a guy.... :rolleyes:

If your team was a Meigray team from 2007 to like 2014 their population reports have the details you need. They’re not 100% accurate, but very close. 

The things I don't like about them are that they snag WAY too easily, and the sleeves are too long.

29 minutes ago, Krendelev said:

The things I don't like about them are that they snag WAY too easily, and the sleeves are too long.

My arms are too long so I guess that didn’t bother me.