Does this nameplate look right? Edge 2.0 Lundqvist from NHL Auctions

liquidice

Cmsy98e.jpg

06zAfR7.jpg

nMaxxR2.jpg

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/pKKli

I ordered an autographed RBK Edge 2.0 Lundqvist jersey from NHL Auctions (probably paid too much - ~$400) with a COA and tamper proof sticker from Frozenpond.com and I noticed when I got it that the nameplate on the jersey is a much darker shade of blue than the rest of the jersey. It almost looks like they used the Rangers 3rd jersey (heritage jersey) blue nameplate instead of the Home jersey blue.

I called Frozenpond and they said all of their jerseys are like that and they couldn't offer a refund since it was through NHL Auctions and the best they could do was offer a discount off my next purchase. :(

I realized, I don't own any customized authentic NYR Home Jerseys, so maybe I just am not familiar enough with the nameplates. Is this normal? I looked at a few Game Worn jerseys and the nameplate appears to be the same color.

Overall not a good day for jerseys - got 3 jerseys in the mail today and 2 of them were not what I expected, one was too small (I think it is a youth jersey but was advertised as a Men's jersey) and this one the nameplate was not good. 3rd jersey was an old Edge 1.0 heritage jersey with the 85th Anniversary patch and retired #s -- still like the Reebok Edge 1.0 jerseys the best even if they are fragile.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

It's because they used twill for the nameplate when they should have used airknit.

Yeah the lady from Frozenpond said something about using twill - I didn't quite catch all of it, she said there were two methods for putting on the nameplate and their customizer uses twill. Really annoying .. I guess I won't be buying anymore customized jerseys from Frozenpond.

Yeah twill usually looks pretty bad as a nameplate. On the bright side at least you could have it fixed if you wanted to, changing the nameplate won't affect the autograph. Should be pretty cheap to have done too.

Edit: ouch, didn't pick up on the numbers. I would steer clear of wherever that jersey came from in the future.

Edited by JoeM7392

I wouldn't be surprised if it was CoolHockey who did the lettering. They're about the only major customizer that uses twill plates for most jerseys, and they are located really close to FrozenPond in the Toronto area.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was CoolHockey who did the lettering. They're about the only major customizer that uses twill plates for most jerseys, and they are located really close to FrozenPond in the Toronto area.

Last time I sent them a blue Rangers edge jersey (about 8 years ago), even they knew enough to use airknit.

I bought this jersey from Coolhockey - I'm pretty sure they used airknit - it looks right at least (the radial lettering is not quite right though)

7FRrJIY.jpg

Edited by liquidice

Not sure if I want to ask - what is wrong with the numbers?!?! Are the layers not done correctly?

I don't know if they're the exact size (the font looks good), but they look alright. Contact Brilliant, and he can easily do up a name plate for you.

I don't know if they're the exact size (the font looks good), but they look alright. Contact Brilliant, and he can easily do up a name plate for you.

So would most local tailors know how to take off the old nameplate and z-stitch on the new one? I was assuming I'd need to send it to EPS to get it removed / replaced with an air knit one.

You spent a hard-earned $400 on it. Would you rather just return it before risking damage to it?

So would most local tailors know how to take off the old nameplate and z-stitch on the new one? I was assuming I'd need to send it to EPS to get it removed / replaced with an air knit one.

I personally wouldn't use a local tailor who has no idea what "accurate" is.

The suggestion to engage Brilliant to do that job was, well, a brilliant one.

You spent a hard-earned $400 on it. Would you rather just return it before risking damage to it?

Frozenpond won't let me return it because I bought it off an NHL.com Auction.

I personally wouldn't use a local tailor who has no idea what "accurate" is.

The suggestion to engage Brilliant to do that job was, well, a brilliant one.

I see - I thought I would buy the nameplate from him and then have to figure out how to get it sewn on myself. Too bad he doesnt have any Rangers blue nameplate material!

Not sure if I want to ask - what is wrong with the numbers?!?! Are the layers not done correctly?

As Brilliant mentioned earlier it appears from the pic that the numbers are not sewn together (red sewn to white) they appear to be heat pressed together. Then the white looks as it is sewn on to the back of the jersey. They should be sewn together then stitched on.

I think frozen pond use SLC. on everything I've sent to SLC except for leafs they use twill for the nameplates unless I provide them with the proper nameplates.

Then I get bítched at for sending in kits that they didn't make and they charge me way too much money to attach them.

Moral of the story, use SLC for leafs only and I'm pretty sure frozen pond uses them

Wow, I didn't know SLC used twill nameplates. I had been looking at all of JB's stuff he supposedly gets done there with Edge plates on everything, and didn't stop to think that it might be because JB himself was supplying the plates.

Wow, I didn't know SLC used twill nameplates. I had been looking at all of JB's stuff he supposedly gets done there with Edge plates on everything, and didn't stop to think that it might be because JB himself was supplying the plates.

Are SLC and JB right in the same city/area? If so it would make sense that he may have wanted to use them for the convenience of not having to ship the jerseys out, but had to get his own edge material to do it.

Yep, they're both in the Toronto area.

Yep, they're both in the Toronto area.

Thought so, makes sense then. I also wondered if there was any way the baron made money selling edge nameplates, considering how expensive edge material supposedly is. It makes a lot more sense if he had to order the material anyway for his customized jerseys anyways, then just sells some extra ones off.

Thought so, makes sense then. I also wondered if there was any way the baron made money selling edge nameplates, considering how expensive edge material supposedly is. It makes a lot more sense if he had to order the material anyway for his customized jerseys anyways, then just sells some extra ones off.

I've bought about 5 nameplates off him all for around $15-$20 a pop. He makes good money off them.

I've bought about 5 nameplates off him all for around $15-$20 a pop. He makes good money off them.

I've bought 2 of them myself, they definitely sell. What I meant is I wonder if he would be selling them at all if he didn't need to buy the material anyways for his jerseys. Doesn't seem like a big profit margin, especially since he's mostly selling to just the people on this board realisticly. Not many other people care. It's not red airknit vs red edge to most, it's just red.

Isn't he the only person who reliably sells them anyway? If so there has to be a reason why. That whole thing about it being more per square foot than the wedding gown stuff might be it.

Or not, I don't know. More or less just thinking out loud at this point.