Do jerseys bring you closer to the player?

Kaiser416

I was mindlessly working on a 96-97 lidstrom and it got me thinking. We all collect jerseys for different personal reasons, ie. favourite players, teams, era, designs, rarity, etc. I prefer to do my own customizations because 1) I don't mind spending 2-5 hours on each one to get it exactly how I want, 2) the stitch job is to my satisfaction, and 3) I feel the connection to the player that I'm piecing together. One example is my current Lidstrom project, who is my all time favourite defenseman. I will never get to meet him in person nor will I own his gamers, but it feels like the legend is right in front of me as I iron his name across the back and carefully align his number 5. After every project, I try on the jersey and think that this must be what the man feels every time he suits up for a game. Of course, this is all in my head and I'm no Stanley Cup champ, but this is how I have fun with this hobby. There is a little extra connection with the player when I finish a customization compared to opening up a box of new arrivals.

Unfortunately, after buying a jersey, my usual sentiment is "I cannot F(&^*** believe I dropped $xxx on *player*. Ugh. Such a waste of money".

That's why I don't buy any Islanders Jerseys. Lol.

That's why I don't buy any Islanders Jerseys. Lol.

Haha. Every now and then you get the treat that is the Lapointe, Tavares, or Jonsson, but other than that, it really is "ugh. Im going to start flushing money down the toilet"

I was mindlessly working on a 96-97 lidstrom and it got me thinking. We all collect jerseys for different personal reasons, ie. favourite players, teams, era, designs, rarity, etc. I prefer to do my own customizations because 1) I don't mind spending 2-5 hours on each one to get it exactly how I want, 2) the stitch job is to my satisfaction, and 3) I feel the connection to the player that I'm piecing together. One example is my current Lidstrom project, who is my all time favourite defenseman. I will never get to meet him in person nor will I own his gamers, but it feels like the legend is right in front of me as I iron his name across the back and carefully align his number 5. After every project, I try on the jersey and think that this must be what the man feels every time he suits up for a game. Of course, this is all in my head and I'm no Stanley Cup champ, but this is how I have fun with this hobby. There is a little extra connection with the player when I finish a customization compared to opening up a box of new arrivals.

11rcaop.jpg

one way or another we all have our reasons for collecting and for spending ridiculous amounts of time and money on this hobby. Im just glad a forum like this exists where it's evident we are not alone in this and when our wives or girlfriends or whatever are telling us we're freakin Arse holes for wasting money on these things we know we at least are not alone. and there are some other dudes out there who can get just as much joy and happiness from opening up the latest package from eps or winning some gem on ebay or whatever.

I got a pickup coming in on Monday I told my dad how much it costs (it's over a grand) he gave me the disappointed father face then laughed at me. Collecting game worn and authentic jerseys aren't for everyone!

my most expensive to date was my rangers tbtc I paid around 550 for. but that was one I was more concerned with just finding...and I accepted the fact that I'd pay whatever I had to. anybody else ever experience that feeling where your blood pressure rises and you get crazy nervous and focused in the last minute of an eBay auction you want real bad?

Some great posts on this great thread.. I love this hobby and I feel a connection with each gamer I buy with the player. And yes, it's definitely not a cheap hobby and not for everyone.. I just dropped an obscene amount of money on a Ryan McDonagh gamer and it made me a little ill, when I bought it, but I have to be honest in the fact that I am so excited to get the box in the mail with that sweater inside! :)

I dropped $500 for my WC jersey but I knew it's not something you find regularly or easily (especially in my size). So I felt a bit bad but loved when I got it and it's one of my faves!

There is something about it when you get a blank jersey customized and see the final product. And the seamstress who did the customization for my Alfredsson jersey also said that "this will look great on the wall". And I love having jerseys of the players I have grown up watching.

I have my limits though as far as prices go. I am never going to buy anything that costs 300 or 500 bucks. Ever. For TBTC's and WC jerseys, I will gladly settle for a replica because the authentics are too expensive for me.

oiler...I also love seeing a blank finally come back complete, but even more so, and speaking of jerseys that you just know are always going to be out of your price range... there's nothing better than finding one that's pretty rare and usually ridiculously priced but maybe it has some stains or some terrible customization job so nobody bids on it and you end up getting a project jersey that turns into something really special at the end. if you saw my recent post on the newly arrived thread.... that north stars broten I got originally for 65 bucks and that 1990 messier all star I got for 75. I had to put on a lot of cleaning and stripping work in on both of them but when they were finally all said and done they were some of my favorites in the collection.

Guam, you possess a singular wit...

Buffalo_Bills.jpg

Well i first got into this hobby because it gave me a strange feeling of being a kid again and watching my heroes of the 80's score and win. When i got my first gamer many many years ago i was even a little disappointed because it was used and had wear. Mind you back in the 80's authentics were not easily found and the replicas were anything but authentic. Very few people collected game worn stuff and i remember me going through bins at the old forum looking for jerseys that did not have too much wear lol (if ony i knew). Of course the internet changed everything cards becamae almost worthless and a new hobby emerged the game worn stuff.

I started collecting a few authentics about 3-4 years ago just wanted to get some rare jerseys for me it's always fun to be brought back to when iwas a kid watching these guys play in these jerseys. As for it bringing me closer to the player i felt like that at first until i started to meet some of these guys Audette is my neighbour and Damphouses kid plays hockey with mine. I also have had the pleasure of playing hockey with Max Lapierre , Alexander Burrows and Bobby Lou. There views range from it's cool people collect this stuff to guys that collect this stuff are jock sniffers. Most players don't give a crap about there jerseys and equipment and hold little if any attachment to it. The best way to get close to these players is to attend camps that they hold or autograph sessions (they are always nice they are being paid for it!!).

Personally after meeting these guys i decided to keep only the stuff that has historical significance and monetary value i did not want to become too much of a fan boy (which i was lol). Just think how weird it would be if Vinny's kid came to my house and on my wall was his dads jersey and a picture of him lol!

Still a fan less of the players now much more of the team.......One thing remains jerseys are cool

There views range from it's cool people collect this stuff to guys that collect this stuff are jock sniffers. Most players don't give a crap about there jerseys and equipment and hold little if any attachment to it. The best way to get close to these players is to attend camps that they hold or autograph sessions (they are always nice they are being paid for it!!).

Personally after meeting these guys i decided to keep only the stuff that has historical significance and monetary value i did not want to become too much of a fan boy (which i was lol). Just think how weird it would be if Vinny's kid came to my house and on my wall was his dads jersey and a picture of him lol!

That's how I am beginning to feel. I just bought a Ryan Strome jersey and he is a couple of months younger than me. It's weird! I buy Isles gamers because it pays to...if customized authentics were cheaper, I'd buy those instead! I have always loved jerseys, but the majority of mine are blank (except for Isles. The only mon-Isles blank I sent out for customization was a Joe Sakic Avs). Players come and go, but the crest is always there.

I'm still kind of a kid I think I'm 28 I have a deep passion for the Philadelphia flyers it started early when my dad would take me to the spectrum it was always the best nights going there. Now I have season tickets and I take him to games so its nice