More Teams Need to Do This

dsl135

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62072

I realize this is over a year old, but I think that's an awesome promotion.

I'm so sick of seeing crappy counterfeit jerseys at games that people say are "good enough."

i think there was already a thread for this a while back

Sorry, like I said I realized it was an old promotion, but I just stumbled across it this morning.

That's an awesome idea!!! What do you think they do with all of those counterfeits once they collect them?

I like this and it should help the new comers:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62049

^hopefully donate them to areas of the world where clothing is hard to come by. I know they are fake and what not, but I would rather them go to a charitable cause and putting some sort of clothing on the back of someone who needs it instead of just trashing them.

Jeremy, as a Patriots fan, I hate you.

As for this being an older topic, it's a really good idea nevertheless - and it's something to bring up to the pro-shops and memorabilia sources we deal with. I'm pretty sure that we (as collectors) are probably the most educated and the most outspoken members of the fan-base with regard to jerseys and the like. If we come into contact with those in charge of jersey sales and pro-shop management, why not bring up the idea or something similar? It might not phase out those yucky fake jerseys we have to see at games, but it might be a start.

Jeremy, as a Patriots fan, I hate you.

As for this being an older topic, it's a really good idea nevertheless - and it's something to bring up to the pro-shops and memorabilia sources we deal with. I'm pretty sure that we (as collectors) are probably the most educated and the most outspoken members of the fan-base with regard to jerseys and the like. If we come into contact with those in charge of jersey sales and pro-shop management, why not bring up the idea or something similar? It might not phase out those yucky fake jerseys we have to see at games, but it might be a start.

Since we're all very much into the hobby, and we interect through this board, would it be possible to convince Icejerseys to offer a similar deal? I understand that they pay the wholesale price of the jersey, and could possibly only offer whatever discount they can, but maybe they can customize an authentic jersey we send in with a counterfeit for free, or possibly entertain a few more suggestions?

Great in concept, too bad the best thing you can end up with is a crappy Indo-Edge.

^hopefully donate them to areas of the world where clothing is hard to come by. I know they are fake and what not, but I would rather them go to a charitable cause and putting some sort of clothing on the back of someone who needs it instead of just trashing them.

Fantastic idea.

i personally think it's B.S if the habs were concerned about getting rid of counterfeits they would get together with REEBOK and the other 29 teams and price jerseys reasonably. The Habs like every other team make a 200% on every jersey sold the only reason they care about counterfeits is because it hurts the profit margin. If they offered a indo edge at 100$ plus tax more people would buy that then crappy counterfeits but when they try to slap 300$ price tag on a crappy indo edge then all they are doing is bludgeoning their fans.

Dont get it twisted the Habs would sell the counterfeits themselves if it helped the bottom line. I really don't see anything positive about this program except making people aware they are buying fakes because 40% of people don't know but guess what 60% of people don't care because they just want a jersey they can wear to the game that cost 50-60$.

i personally think it's B.S if the habs were concerned about getting rid of counterfeits they would get together with REEBOK and the other 29 teams and price jerseys reasonably. The Habs like every other team make a 200% on every jersey sold the only reason they care about counterfeits is because it hurts the profit margin. If they offered a indo edge at 100$ plus tax more people would buy that then crappy counterfeits but when they try to slap 300$ price tag on a crappy indo edge then all they are doing is bludgeoning their fans.

Dont get it twisted the Habs would sell the counterfeits themselves if it helped the bottom line. I really don't see anything positive about this program except making people aware they are buying fakes because 40% of people don't know but guess what 60% of people don't care because they just want a jersey they can wear to the game that cost 50-60$.

Wow... aren't we a "glass isn't even half full" kind of person, haha.

Making people aware is the first step. And I'd much rather see people wearing replicas than wearing garbage counterfeits. Not everyone would pick an authentic anyway, if they were only $100, because replicas would still probably be available then for $50. Like you said, people are buying them because of the price point, not because they want a jersey identical to what players wear. Only the hardcore collectors care about that.

But regardless, any step towards getting rid of counterfeits is a positive thing. Choosing to see it as otherwise is silly in my opinion.

i am not a half full or half empty guy, i am a realist.

My point is that the canadiens are doing this because of money$$$$. If the Canadiens and or the NHL wanted to stop fakes all they would need to do is price the jerseys reasonably. A replica jersey that is 100% machine made in a country like Indonesia should not cost 100$+ tax.

I cant feel sorry for the habs when something that is supposed to be exactly like the on ice stuff but is a crappy indo edge sells for 300 + tax.

There are Forums that discuss the best place to buy fakes from and where the best counterfeits are made. I would say people are a little fed up of being taken to the cleaners by teams. I wont applaud a program where you trade in a garbage fake to buy a overpriced poorly constructed jersey. Now you are allowed to see this as a step in the right direction but i see it for what it really is another ploy to keep money in the pockets of greedy teams. The canadiens are business and they make no apologies for trying to maximize profits i get that but i wont cheer while they continue to tell me not buy crap so i can buy there overpriced crap.

Absolutely the Habs are doing it for profit motive, and who can blame them? I wish there was more done to protect the intellectual property of our domestic companies and industries. Good things are associated with profit and this program is one of those and it is an admirable program. I hope the NHL and every team adopts this to get rid of fakes.

It is quite the undertaking to educate the masses about jersey construction and what makes a licensed product better than a knock off, especially when most are edumacated to believe to choose the fastest and most importantly the cheapest option. You can preach to them all day and night about the facts and they will still buy the player jersey with a fight strap that looks alright but is $60, compared to the authentic or licensed replica that could be $180-300 or even more.

Not to mention these fake jerseys are F*****G EVERYWHERE now. Family and friends know I collect and inform me of garage sales, classified ads, online ads, or stores with hockey jerseys. Even seemingly good tips more often than not go bad because the jerseys end up being fake. I can confidently say I see more fakes than real, especially in regards to authentic jerseys. I've even received fakes through charity auctions, and even seen fakes in "antique" stores.

The legitimate online jersey retailers are losing big time to the knock offs, probably because most people buying don't have the knowledge or patience to tell the difference between a legitimate or illegitimate retailer. Sure, NHL.com and Ice Jerseys are near the top of the search results when you search for NHL jerseys, but after people see the price, their next search is "Cheap NHL jersey" and they find hundreds of sites to compare and choose, most of which are illegitimate.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in Japan and I was amazed the first time I went to a baseball game for the famous Hanshin Tigers. Not only could you bring beer/cooler into the stadium, the licensed items inside the stadium were cheaper than the crap being sold outside by others in booths and mobile kiosks! Also, if you run out of beer or don't bring any, the beer doesn't cost 50% more than taps outside of the stadium. Prices were reasonable. Games are a great experience and the first game really changed my attitude towards about the gouging we experience here in North America for sports entertainment.

IMO sungod661 is absolutely right, the NHL and teams need to stop being so obviously greedy and be more reasonable! I understand their profit goals but they need to change their pricing to eliminate the fakes. The fakes will always command a significant chunk of the market so long that the prices are unreasonable.

Edited by pastadutchie

Absolutely the Habs are doing it for profit motive, and who can blame them? I wish there was more done to protect the intellectual property of our domestic companies and industries. Good things are associated with profit and this program is one of those and it is an admirable program. I hope the NHL and every team adopts this to get rid of fakes.

It is quite the undertaking to educate the masses about jersey construction and what makes a licensed product better than a knock off, especially when most are edumacated to believe to choose the fastest and most importantly the cheapest option. You can preach to them all day and night about the facts and they will still buy the player jersey with a fight strap that looks alright but is $60, compared to the authentic or licensed replica that could be $180-300 or even more.

Not to mention these fake jerseys are F*****G EVERYWHERE now. Family and friends know I collect and inform me of garage sales, classified ads, online ads, or stores with hockey jerseys. Even seemingly good tips more often than not go bad because the jerseys end up being fake. I can confidently say I see more fakes than real, especially in regards to authentic jerseys. I've even received fakes through charity auctions, and even seen fakes in "antique" stores.

The legitimate online jersey retailers are losing big time to the knock offs, probably because most people buying don't have the knowledge or patience to tell the difference between a legitimate or illegitimate retailer. Sure, NHL.com and Ice Jerseys are near the top of the search results when you search for NHL jerseys, but after people see the price, their next search is "Cheap NHL jersey" and they find hundreds of sites to compare and choose, most of which are illegitimate.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in Japan and I was amazed the first time I went to a baseball game for the famous Hanshin Tigers. Not only could you bring beer/cooler into the stadium, the licensed items inside the stadium were cheaper than the crap being sold outside by others in booths and mobile kiosks! Also, if you run out of beer or don't bring any, the beer doesn't cost 50% more than taps outside of the stadium. Prices were reasonable. Games are a great experience and the first game really changed my attitude towards about the gouging we experience here in North America for sports entertainment.

IMO sungod661 is absolutely right, the NHL and teams need to stop being so obviously greedy and be more reasonable! I understand their profit goals but they need to change their pricing to eliminate the fakes. The fakes will always command a significant chunk of the market so long that the prices are unreasonable.