Leafs / Wings Winter Classic 2013

St. Patrick

An authentic will be made available. The question is if it will be a Canadian made 2.0 or P.O.S. Indo-edge. If it's the latter I will not own one.

For sure. But we will be paying a hefty price as they will be very scarce.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard that the color jerseys outsell the white jerseys, and I'd assume that holds true for the Red Wings. So from a financial aspect I can't see the Wings choosing to wear white in the WC.

I'm not sure that is the case in Detroit, if you look around the Joe it's a pretty even split.

I do think that for a game like the Winter Classic you could easily have both teams wear darks and there wouldn't be any problems, nobody is going to confuse that red with the blue and nobody really has black and white TV's anymore (probably the main reason you always had white vs dark uniforms). If you watch college basketball games, some teams wear pretty dark uniforms at home (Illinois does "Paint the hall orange", I'm sure there are others) when they are supposed to be wearing lights.

I'm not sure that is the case in Detroit, if you look around the Joe it's a pretty even split.

I do think that for a game like the Winter Classic you could easily have both teams wear darks and there wouldn't be any problems, nobody is going to confuse that red with the blue and nobody really has black and white TV's anymore (probably the main reason you always had white vs dark uniforms). If you watch college basketball games, some teams wear pretty dark uniforms at home (Illinois does "Paint the hall orange", I'm sure there are others) when they are supposed to be wearing lights.

I agree the league should let both teams wear dark for the WC as long as their colors aren't similar. That is why the "white jersey" came in play. Back in the Original Six era, teams that had the same colors - Detroit and Montreal, NY Rangers and Toronto - were difficult to distinguish so the league made these teams use white jerseys for this instance. Eventually, it became a league wide mandate.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty stoked over the Leafs WC jersey. Granted, the blue looks nicer then the white. Either way, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine....

The issues with the Rangers WC jersey wasn't due to it being popular, Reebok literally didn't ship as many authentics as they did for the Flyers. Numerous retailers told me they weren't even able to order Rangers WC authentics, and some that did didn't recieve theirs until months after the game.

It's funny, but I actually spoke to a few retailers who did get the authentics, and were told it was a mistake and they weren't supposed to get them. Just happy I have mine.

I wouldn't have mine (nor Xcdude his) if not for the awesome people on this board - even the Flyers fans. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have mine (nor Xcdude his) if not for the awesome people on this board - even the Flyers fans. :thumbsup:

I'm still dying to find one in a 56. I saw authenticats on eBay a while ago, but passed at the time for fear of wether they were Indo-crap, or 2.0. Now that I know, I'm kicking myself until another comes my way. Hopefully a fellow board member will offer one someday. I've only seen a few lately, and they're too small.

I'm still dying to find one in a 56. I saw authenticats on eBay a while ago, but passed at the time for fear of wether they were Indo-crap, or 2.0. Now that I know, I'm kicking myself until another comes my way. Hopefully a fellow board member will offer one someday. I've only seen a few lately, and they're too small.

You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding authentic cats, just try the SPCA :)

Akteon, we're not all bad, just the ones that purposely puke on cop's children haha. Best insult ever was Flyers Devils, game 5, in 2010, we were walking out of the Rock cheering and flipping out and a guy just walked up to us and said "please don't puke on my daughter."

Lol. Spellcheck rules the world. :P

But in all honesty, searching for an authentic Rangers WC jersey in a 56 is what got me to start collecting again after a few years hiatus. Hopefully one will make its way to me.

Lol. Spellcheck rules the world. :P

But in all honesty, searching for an authentic Rangers WC jersey in a 56 is what got me to start collecting again after a few years hiatus. Hopefully one will make its way to me.

I try not to be the grammar police, just couldn't pass that gem up haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Per IceThetics, the guy who claimed the Leafs will be wearing their blue vintage style from the 30's, Howard Berger recently tweeted "Source tells me Detroit Red Wings will wear cream-colored jersey for NHL Winter Classic vs. Leafs. Trying to confirm."

I'm not a fan of this, the Wings are RED and WHITE. I understand teams using cream or "vintage white" for retro styled jerseys, but with something as simplistically beautiful as the Red Wings color scheme, why mess with it?

Per IceThetics, the guy who claimed the Leafs will be wearing their blue vintage style from the 30's, Howard Berger recently tweeted "Source tells me Detroit Red Wings will wear cream-colored jersey for NHL Winter Classic vs. Leafs. Trying to confirm."

I'm not a fan of this, the Wings are RED and WHITE. I understand teams using cream or "vintage white" for retro styled jerseys, but with something as simplistically beautiful as the Red Wings color scheme, why mess with it?

Wings are the home team so they should choose to wear white or dark. I don't know whether they have or not, but going with the WC trend since 2009, the home team has worn dark - Buffalo in 2008 was the only home team to wear white. I agree that Detroit should be wearing a RED jersey for this game. I don't get why the Leafs jersey was "leaked" first, being it dark.

If they do end up going the cream-colored jersey route, I assume it would be similar in color to the Rangers jersey for the 2012 game. Not a fan of this.

If true...and if there is a game...I'm just glad the Wings won't be wearing the dark jerseys, I have always preferred the Wings in white. I'll wait until I see the jersey to pass judgment, but they should be able to pull off something nice.

Or

0422-matthewstjean-wc13.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1334778969376

0325-torinkowalenko-wc2013.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1332403307776

You are going to see fakes of the Justin Cox design.

Probably. They're fantastic. Like the Kowalenko ones too.

I think the cream/vintage white only works if both teams use it ... if one team has white, it will make the vintage white ones just look dirty ...

Probably. They're fantastic. Like the Kowalenko ones too.

I thought I read somewhere that Reebok "leaks" images to screw around with the fakers. That set up looks like the Rangers/Flyers concepts that were turned into fakes. It is complete with the WC patch and looks professional. That's why I think the Cox design will be the one that is faked.

I would buy any of those.... and I don't buy NHL shirts.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter... they're not going to play.