Whats the deal with the Home and Away jerseys?

ic0dex

Okay, the light collard jerseys use to be the home jerseys and now they are away, why is that? I also watched the Toronto vs Pittsburg game yesterday and Toronto being the away team they had their dark jerseys on.

You mean colored? :P. But seriously, this has been discussed at length here. I'm too lazy to look for the thread, but I think it has something to do with airport security after 9/11, and that the visiting teams would have to take two sets of equipment (home and away jerseys, pants, socks, gloves, pads etc) on road trips through different airports and through Customs in case the home team wanted their wear their alternate jersey, which is usually dark.

Switching to white for the road jersey makes it easier to get through airport security, because you're only taking one set. I don't know how accurate that is though, because the Rangers still wear white at home once or twice a year.

I like that idea actually. I really wanna see Nashville's yellow jerseys in person but I'm not going to Tennessee any time soon.

Okay, the light collard jerseys use to be the home jerseys and now they are away, why is that? I also watched the Toronto vs Pittsburg game yesterday and Toronto being the away team they had their dark jerseys on.

I am curious as to why this just dawned on you as it has been this way for 6 years now....this change was done post lockout.....and after the all star break in the 1991-92 season (NHL 75th ann'y)

The airport security thing makes no sense to me because they didnt switch white to the road the start of the 05-06 season (after the lockout). I hate it how color jerseys are home plus the NBA still has white jerseys as the home jerseys (for the most part).

The airport security thing makes no sense to me because they didnt switch white to the road the start of the 05-06 season (after the lockout). I hate it how color jerseys are home plus the NBA still has white jerseys as the home jerseys (for the most part).

But the NBA sucks. Bettman was probably trying to be like the NFL and make the dark colors the home jerseys, which would actually not surprise me at all. I personally like that it because I love the Rangers blue jerseys and really, who likes white with a couple exceptions? Obviously the white Liberty jerseys, and the off-white Winter Classic are those exceptions, but I probably wouldn't own another white Rangers jersey even if it was the home jersey.

NBA stuff is extremely small and not difficult to pack. Hell, you probably could fit an NBA team's stuff into one suitcase. When you are packing huge chests of equipment (helmets, pants, etc), you do not want to carry anything that isn't necessary. So if a team wears white at home, the road team needs to pack their colored equipment. However, say they go on a 2 game, 3 night road trip...and they are playing against a team that wears white and a team that wants to wear a colored third. That team now has to pack: practice jerseys + 2 sets of game jerseys +2 sets of helmets (plus another set of backup helmets...teams always carry extra equipment) + 2 sets of socks (I think teams wear the game socks on gameday skates/practices/road). It becomes too much to transport (and it gets expensive).

Personally, I prefer whites at home. I want to see the other colors of the NHL. I know what the Isles jerseys look like in person. I want to see the Habs/Wings/Hawks red jerseys. I want variety!

From my understanding the original 2003 change was GM's Jeff Vanderbeek, Mike Ilitch, and Bill Davidson who wanted to change back to the dark colors at home as that was how it was worn during the original 6 era. In the 50s, teams only had 1 uniform and all of the teams wore different dark colored jersey except Boston had white. TV's were black and white and it was difficult to tell a red team from a blue team, or two red teams Montreal/Detroit or two blue teams Toronto/New York apart when playing together. TV Contracts requested the league to switch to 2 sets, light and dark and have the home team wear dark. The whole white at home came later on in the 70's as Baseball followed this rule, so the owners agreed to the change for white at home.

The biggest factor in my own opinion for the recent change back was that based on NHL reports, dark jerseys make up 65-75% of sales (due to the variance in color as its mandated by the league that the home jersey is "Light" and very few teams venture outside of the White color palette).

The reason you have occassional games where teams will wear their white jerseys at home at least once per season against divisional opponents which allows fans to see their rival's colours is part of the NHL's agreement with the NHLPA and Clubs Marketing.

I think it's easy to determine the NHL wants to make money. By having the home team wear Dark all season, with the occasional White for divisional, and then specialty games with their Alternates, the home audience gets to first hand see, and be in the arena to subsequently purchase 3 different jerseys from their local team. This will have more revenue generated than watching different colors of teams come through, and nobody purchases the oppositions jerseys, plus they have to watch their team play in white every single game...

I am curious as to why this just dawned on you as it has been this way for 6 years now....this change was done post lockout.....and after the all star break in the 1991-92 season (NHL 75th ann'y)

I really did not care when the change happend and when I watched yesterdays Toronto vs Pittsburg game that's when it hit me. I said to my self why did they change the home/away jerseys again. This airline sincerity thing sounds funny but if it is true then I should only take white colored sox and undies when I go on a trip :)

I prefer the road team in dark jerseys, and it makes more sense IMO to show the more colorful jersey around the league.

Edited by Pete379

Some of my answer has already been mentioned, but I'm bored haha...

- Dark at home is traditional. Back in the days where darks were originally the home uniform, laundry facilities were hard to find on the road, and white jerseys weren't white by the time a road trip was over. Laundry facilities are in every arena these days, so that is not an issue.

-The airport security reason is false. It is the cost of carrying two sets of jerseys, socks and helmets on road trips that helped facilitate the decision to go with white for away teams. Given that most (if not all) alternate jerseys are dark in colour and worn almost exclusively at home, it only makes financial sense that teams only carry whites on the road.

-Where a road trip is only a single game (IE: the home-and-home between TOR and PIT this week), and the home team wishes to wear white at home, they may request that the away team bring their darks instead of their whites.

Last but not least, personally, I like dark at home. Teams have colours and they should be worn at home in my opinion.

I think Chowhound hit the nail on the head, it's all about the money. The color jerseys sell better than the white ones.

I don't know the reasoning, but I personally love colors at home. It's traditional, and it just looks a million times better.

The Flyers wearing orange at home in the playoffs, and the whole crowd wearing orange looks fantastic on TV and in person. If the Flyers were wearing white it wouldn't look so cool... sure you could do a white-out, but teams everywhere across all sports do that.

Don't forget too that up until 1970, the entire league still wore their colors at home. Why do you think the Rangers were called the Broadway BLUESHIRTS? Hell, some teams only had one jersey for a long time in the 30's and 40's. The league didn't even mandate and second white jersey until 1951. By then though, the only team without a white jersey was the Rangers.

The whole 'white jersey' thing actually stemmed from the Maple Leafs. They were the first team to ever use a white on-ice jersey. Back in 1927, I believe. It was the first year AFTER the rebrand from the St. Pats, so it would have been the first-ever official Maple Leafs jersey. I think it was green too for that one year before they switched over to the blue.

Of course, the whites became much more commonplace by the mid-1930's whenever Montreal and Detroit would play each other. They both had solid red jerseys which made it very difficult to differentiate between the two teams on the ice. So, in 1934, the Wings introduced a white jersey in contrast to their red ones for use only against Montreal. The year after, the Habs followed suit by adding a white jersey to wear in select games against Detroit. After that, the rest of the league followed suit.

Don't forget too that up until 1970, the entire league still wore their colors at home. Why do you think the Rangers were called the Broadway BLUESHIRTS? Hell, some teams only had one jersey for a long time in the 30's and 40's. The league didn't even mandate and second white jersey until 1951. By then though, the only team without a white jersey was the Rangers.

The whole 'white jersey' thing actually stemmed from the Maple Leafs. They were the first team to ever use a white on-ice jersey. Back in 1927, I believe. It was the first year AFTER the rebrand from the St. Pats, so it would have been the first-ever official Maple Leafs jersey. I think it was green too for that one year before they switched over to the blue.

Of course, the whites became much more commonplace by the mid-1930's whenever Montreal and Detroit would play each other. They both had solid red jerseys which made it very difficult to differentiate between the two teams on the ice. So, in 1934, the Wings introduced a white jersey in contrast to their red ones for use only against Montreal. The year after, the Habs followed suit by adding a white jersey to wear in select games against Detroit. After that, the rest of the league followed suit.

386eab57-4ffa-4d1a-802d-9928b9aedb38.jpg

Some great info here.

Just my 2 cents, but I wish the league would switch back to whites at home.

I want to see the visiting teams colors.

Coming from someone who lives no wheres near an NHL team I like the home being the "color" jerseys, but definitely can see where people are coming from when they'd want the home to wear white so they can see all the different visiting teams colors. One thing I wish the league would allow is both teams to wear their color as long as it doesn't conflict (like Montreal/Detroit, or Anaheim/LA) making it hard for the refs/fans to distinguish the teams (obviously the home team would have first choice as to which jersey they'd wear). I don't think cost of bringing more then 1 uniform is as much an issue any more as most teams if not all use privately chartered flights and I'm sure come no wheres near close to filling the cargo hold, it would be about 1 extra hockey bag between every 2 players approximately maybe less. For short trips if they use buses I can see space maybe being a bit more scarce.