Whats the deal with the Home and Away jerseys?

ic0dex

My personal all-time favorite jersey style was the Hartford Wolf Pack grey alt shown below. Apparently when they wore it the league complained that it was too light for a "dark" jersey, but still too dark for a "light" jersey.

116-f.jpg

(not my jersey - a gamer from here)

My personal all-time favorite jersey style was the Hartford Wolf Pack grey alt shown below. Apparently when they wore it the league complained that it was too light for a "dark" jersey, but still too dark for a "light" jersey.

116-f.jpg

Too bad, it looks real nice. I dream of a day when aways don't necessarily have to be white (only when it suits the colour scheme). Imagine having Nashville's current homes as an away with a Navy home. Mmm.

Or I'd gladly settle for switching halfway. All/both jerseys get exposure and you might increase sales. Win-win.

Edited by bender

Great thread here. A lot of interesting information. I agree with what everyone has said, and I think the reasoning is a combination of all the valid points - security, $, seeing the road team's colors, etc.

I am also a fan of the home team wearing white. When I was growing up watching hockey the home team always wore white, so I have been used to it. Since '03-'04, it's been a little strange seeing the home club wear dark and white on the road. The NBA and MLB also have home teams wear white at home, so why doesn't the NHL go back to that? I agree it should be THAT way. American football is the ONLY sport, IMO, where the home team should wear dark/its colors.

I hate the dark as home uniforms. Every Kings game I go to the uniform is black. Every team that comes to play them, the uniform is white. Not much variety there people.

I hate the dark as home uniforms. Every Kings game I go to the uniform is black. Every team that comes to play them, the uniform is white. Not much variety there people.

Well, then you won't want to miss the last Legends Night game this season (Feb. 18), when you get to see the Kings' vintage purples! :)

Well, then you won't want to miss the last Legends Night game this season (Feb. 18), when you get to see the Kings' vintage purples! :)

I wish one day they wear the white Cheavy logo jerseys, I miss those days. Sometimes I wish can go back in time and watch a game at the Great Western Forum.

I'm at every flyers home game. I'd rather see some different jerseys besides the road whites. But I love some of the visiting teams whites better mtl tor nyr etc

I agree with this. It's how it used to be, pre-1970. It's sad that now it's all about $ and marketing so the NHL wants to have the home team wear dark so more fans buy THAT jersey. Way back when the league actually wanted the home team's fans to see the other team's colors, so white was worn at home.

Times change. Tradition shouldn't. :noway:

The Red Wings played the Flyers at home today and they wore the white home jerseys and the Flyers wore thier dark away jerseys. I hope they bring back the home white jersey.

I'm in the minority on this - but I love that the Hawks wear red at home. I watch a lot of hockey on TV and so I get to see other teams colors all the time.

So do I (I am fortunate enough to be in an area where I get every NYI, NYR, and NJ game), but its not the same!

I'm in the minority on this - but I love that the Hawks wear red at home. I watch a lot of hockey on TV and so I get to see other teams colors all the time.

I feel the same way. I guess ultimately I don't really care, but I'd prefer the colors to be at home. Between the alt. & colored jerseys it gives season ticket holders a little bit different look.

However, the decision probably comes down to money like everything else. With the alt. jerseys they can show home fans two different jerseys at the home stadiums.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a limit on how many times you can wear the alternates in a season, I know the Caps are wearing them for 16 road games? Also, the Hawks wore white at home last night, are there rules governing how many times you can do that, or do you just contact the other team before and get their consent? Is it the same for wearing your alts on the raod assuming like most teams they are dark, you come to an agreement before that the home team will wear white?

I really wish the Canucks got more creative with their Alternates. Some sort of variation on a throwback would be great. The Alt. and home jerseys are nearly identical.

116-f.jpg

Reminds me of another similar situation:

Dr. Hibbert: But what to do with poor Hugo? Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

But seriously, I still associate white with the home team

I really wish the Canucks got more creative with their Alternates. Some sort of variation on a throwback would be great. The Alt. and home jerseys are nearly identical.

The Canucks jerseys are one of my favorites (I hate the team though).

I wish they would let both teams wear their color jersey's if the colors are different enough. For example, it would have been cool to see the Leafs in their blue jerseys and the Blackhawks in their red. Although, this would probably be a logistics mess for the teams to keep what they are supposed to wear straight.