An interesting way to combat fakes

oxbo1690

Tampa Bay are using microchips in their jerseys for season ticket holders. They get discounts with the chips on food and gear at the arena.

My link

This seems like a great way to combat fakes at the rink, but could it be expanded?

Love the idea, but why put it in replicas? No one fakes those...

The fakes are at relatively the same price point as the replicas so it makes sense. The RFID chips they use are super cheap, super tiny and super tough so it could be done. I think I like the idea of tying it to a bigger loyalty program than just at the rink but the question is how.

Good point. That would seem to be pretty boring, unless they also issued you a microchipped card or something like that. I prefer some variety and like to wear a different jersey every game.

There were so many fakes at the flyers at ducks game. Some guy was even wearing a Quakers winter classic jersey smh.

On a brighter note, I saw a game worn selanne. This old guy was wearing it. Talk about expensive. I kept thinking, that guy is wearing a jersey that is worth the value of my car ('90 240sx)

How can you wash the jersey? What if the person wearing the jersey has a pacemaker/defibrillator/heart condition/cancer? Wouldn't this chip interfere with the waves and potentially can end up killing the person wearing the jersey?

Still a cool idea though!

the chip is like the one they put under the skin of dogs it causes no interference of any kind, and is completely washable

Gotcha! Thats cool. Thanks for the info!

The fakes are at relatively the same price point as the replicas so it makes sense.

Honestly, the majority of people buying fake jerseys dont know the difference between replica and authentic.

There's no need to fake replicas because the majority of people don't know the difference and don't care anyway.

I'm sure it's a passive chip so it wouldn't affect any of those

edit: and don't be silly, no one washes jerseys ;)

the chip is like the one they put under the skin of dogs it causes no interference of any kind, and is completely washable

Which would smell worse after a full season without a washing? Your crappy jersey or your crappy dog?

Honestly, the majority of people buying fake jerseys dont know the difference between replica and authentic.

There's no need to fake replicas because the majority of people don't know the difference and don't care anyway.

Yeah exactly. As long as a jersey looks remotely "close" to what their favorite team wears, they will buy it. And that is regardless if it is a "fake" or an "authentic" jersey. It's a shame, really. <_<

Yeah exactly. As long as a jersey looks remotely "close" to what their favorite team wears, they will buy it. And that is regardless if it is a "fake" or an "authentic" jersey. It's a shame, really. <_<

That's the whole point of the microchips though, they offer an incentivization. If your jerseys gets you a discount and your friend's fake does not, he will not be so pleased about it. He will realize that it is better in the end to own the real one because he gains more from it by having a real one than a fake, and since they cost nearly the same, why not buy the real one instead?

The whole idea is to make the real jersey more relevant than just a piece of clothing that the team wears by tying a strong economic incentive in the way of savings on other items. 35% discount on team stores is quite high, 25% discount on food is great too! Of course, these are season ticket holders they are talking about but if you had say 15% and 10% respectively, I think it would be enough to make the fan buy a real replica instead. I guess the main problem is then tying these incentives to outside of the rink as well, maybe a cross promotion with restaurants and other stores? It could prove to be very lucrative in the end a major source of increased revenue for a relatively small hassle.

I'm a flyers sth every home game is littered with fake jerseys. It's about 60/40'id say

You, sir, are being generous to the legitimate side.

And now with the Indo-Edge the fakes and the 'real' ones will be almost identical. Well played Reebok.